PDA

View Full Version : Cannot install Sbybot S&D

realitybytes
2006-09-08, 02:11
I have downloaded the latest version, and every time I attempt to install it, I get to the first screen that prompts me to click "Next", and then the installation dialog disappears. It seems like something is intentionally shutting down the installation.

Any suggestions?

MacSurf
2006-09-08, 12:14
Perhaps your system is infected by some kind of virus that disables AV/Anti-Syware tools. You should at first try to install an AV solution or scan your system online to check if it is infected...

realitybytes
2006-09-08, 17:48
I have Symantec Antivirus installed and it appears to be working properly. I have Windows Defender installed, and it also appears to be working properly. In fact, I did a Full Scan, and Defender found two nasties and it also found the remanants of a keylogger that I was testing several months ago buried in a System Restore volume. But even after removing the two spywares that Defender found (Win Zapper and Dead Pool), I still cannot install Spybot.

I also tried downloading and installing EWIDO Anti-spyware, and it does the same thing as the Spybot install. I get to the screen where I agree to the terms and conditions, and wham! the install closes.

There is another strange thing happening on this computer. When I attempt to access some of the pages in this forum in Firefox, the browser closes. This does not happen in MSIE version 7, which I am using right now.

realitybytes
2006-09-08, 23:34
finally found my problem. since it took me hours of detective work, i'll share.

every scrap of research i could find indicated that the problem was probably a keylogger. i tried several freeware keylogger dection programs, but couldn't find the culprit. then i stumbled on a nifty piece of shareware called Security Task Manager.

Using this program, I identified a generic svchost.exe process. now i had also found this process by using Process Explorer, but there wasn't anything really helpful in the Process Explorer description. But Security Task Manager actually extracted a long list of text strings from the .exe file, which clearly identified the process as "007 Spy Software" by Spy Software Inc.

Security Task Manager (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/)also allowed me to kill the process, which allowed me to install Spybot S&D, which found the rest of the components of the software and successfully deleted it.:bigthumb:

moldybagel23
2006-09-10, 01:56
finally found my problem. since it took me hours of detective work, i'll share.

every scrap of research i could find indicated that the problem was probably a keylogger. i tried several freeware keylogger dection programs, but couldn't find the culprit. then i stumbled on a nifty piece of shareware called Security Task Manager.

Using this program, I identified a generic svchost.exe process. now i had also found this process by using Process Explorer, but there wasn't anything really helpful in the Process Explorer description. But Security Task Manager actually extracted a long list of text strings from the .exe file, which clearly identified the process as "007 Spy Software" by Spy Software Inc.

Security Task Manager (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/)also allowed me to kill the process, which allowed me to install Spybot S&D, which found the rest of the components of the software and successfully deleted it.:bigthumb:

Congrats