PDA

View Full Version : Spybot-with-AV versions and F-Prot questions

LarrySheldon
2015-02-07, 02:59
I used Spybot years ago and wandered away--don't know why. I'm back.

I have just installed the "Free" version in a Windows 8.1 64-bit world that includes F-Prot that I have used for years and trust completely.

What happens if I install a Spybot+AV version? F-Prot affected. Both get along well?

Thanks.

tashi
2015-02-07, 05:35
Hello LarrySheldon,:greeting:

I have just installed the "Free" version in a Windows 8.1 64-bit world that includes F-Prot that I have used for years and trust completely.

What happens if I install a Spybot+AV version? F-Prot affected. Both get along well?

Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same files at the same time.

Having more than one resident can cause a serious system slowdown. :eek:

Hope that helps.

LarrySheldon
2015-02-08, 02:40
Hello LarrySheldon,:greeting:

Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same files at the same time.

Having more than one resident can cause a serious system slowdown. :eek:

Hope that helps.

I knew that but thought maybe there was a New Way. Thanks.

Follow-on question: If I buy Home-Professional, can I turn off AV?

tashi
2015-02-08, 18:32
Hi LarrySheldon,

If you are happy with your F-Prot you could stay with the Spybot free version. :kboard:

Follow-on question: If I buy Home-Professional, can I turn off AV?

Edit:oops: (http://www.safer-networking.org/live-protection/) I missed your second question.

"If you have another antivirus engine running you can choose to disable the one integrated into Spybot +AV from Settings."

http://www.safer-networking.org/live-protection/

jshoes
2015-02-11, 08:27
I too have been using F-Prot for years and love it. I also have just got back into using Spybot, after not using it for several years. I would like having more options offered with the AV version but do not want to switch from F-Prot. I am sure there are more users out here who would love more options available without the Spybot +AV option. Would Spybot consider a version with more options for us? I would be willing to pay for a more robust Spybot product without AV. A Super Free version for a subscription? Just a thought.