PDA

View Full Version : Consistent crash on 'Search for updates'

magpac
2006-09-08, 21:16
IF you hold down the shift key when clicking on 'Search for updates'

I noticed on Betanews that there is supposed to be an update today 2006-09-08, so I fired up SB, checked my sigs (2006-09-01) and tried an update. Nothing new was shown, so I thought (or.. maybe not) 'cache problem' and did a Shift-'Search for updates' to refresh..... Ok, a brain f*rt, SB isn't a browser and I got:

Access violation at address 004045a4 in module 'SpybotSD.exe'. Read of address 000FFEF

Attempting to go back to search for updates after that gets:

External exception C000001D

I realise this is a PEBKAC problem on my behalf, but can anyone else duplicate this (and does it even need to be fixed?)

Spybot 1.4, picking up beta updates. Win2K SP4, fresh install within the last two months, updates up till august (via Autopatcher 2K August Full) Athlon 1GHz, 512Mb ram, 20G drive, dual 20" screens.

Thanks, Mark

bitman
2006-09-08, 21:52
Don't know what to consider this; bug, user issue, annoyance, but on another Spybot S&D 1.4 with Beta updates, Windows 2000 SP4, I got:

Access violation at address 004045B0 in module 'SpybotSD.exe'. Read of address 0000FFED

After this the buttons in the Update screen disappeared and clicking in the button bar area results in other errors. Similar things happen in other screens with buttons.

Though there is really no reason for anyone to press left shift (right shift, Ctrl, and Alt didn't cause this) during these processes, which is probably why you're the first to notice. I've never heard of this before, though it may be it has been mentioned but nobody knew what had caused it.

Either way, thanks for reporting. It may help explain other strange issues like why taking the focus off of the scan screen using that little 'Please wait, scan in progress' dialog box causes the scan to operate faster. The Borland tools used to create Spybot have long had such strange issues and I hope Patrick gives up on them at some point so he can just get some good work done.

Bitman