PDA

View Full Version : System Startup global entry

byu1980
2006-09-10, 06:27
I've been downloading updates to Windows XP SP1, with some requiring restarts. I'll be putting SP2 on pretty soon. Every time I restart I'm getting a System Startup Global Entry alert that says the following:

Category: System Startup global entry
Change: Value change
Entry: Zone Labs Client
Old data: C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
New data: "C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"

This obviously has something to do with the ZoneAlarm free firewall, but I don't understand why the same value change occurs every time I reboot. The quotes appear around the text each time the alert comes up. I allow the change each time, but it's both annoying and confusing. Can anyone help?

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-10, 17:28
Try refreshing TeaTimer's snapshot files and see if that stops the TeaTimer dialog from coming up at system startup.

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

byu1980
2006-09-15, 05:57
Thanks for your help with these annoying repeating notices of registry changes. Your simple fix seemed to work, on both my laptop and desktop. None of the notices reappeared after rebooting either machine, at least for now. Will let you know if I have any more issues with this.

lottoloser
2008-03-01, 21:44
I'm getting this message in a Spybot Search & Destroy popup window. It also says, "Value Deleted" and Entry: SMRequiresRestart.

Today I denied the change. Some days I allow it. Who knows?

Any advice?

spybotsandra
2008-03-01, 22:47
Hello,

Please read this information about TeaTimer:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
and http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/34.html
If you surf the web and without any user interaction the teatimer pops up and warns about a registry change it is better to "deny", but if you install something by yourself it is OK to "allow" the change.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot