PDA

View Full Version : Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service won't start

snydley
2015-05-15, 08:28
Hi,
New here, this is my first post so hope I am asking this in the correct place. I have 2 questions.

I am running S&D 2.4 on Windows 7 Home Premium and I cannot start the Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service.

#1. I get the error:

"Reason given by the system (14001): The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.
Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I think I've tracked this down to having the Windows Firewall turned off because I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and I use my pc to VPN into work so I can Remote Desktop Connection to my work pc when I work from home.

If I am correct about this, is there any way I can start the S&D2 Security Center Service while keeping my settings?
If I am incorrect, can someone please help me figure out how to start the service?

#2. Is the above problem I am having the reason my Spybot icon in the system tray shows: AS:off ?

Any assistance on both questions will be much appreciated. Also, if I am posting this in the wrong place, please let me know where I should post this?
Thanks!

Zenobia
2015-05-16, 02:35
Yup,you're in the right place. :)

I'm seeing online that "14001 The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect." is sometimes related to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package becoming corrupted.However,everywhere I'm seeing that it seems to be related to a Microsoft/Windows product,so I'm not sure if it's applicable and/or how that would relate to Spybot.I also don't recall seeing that error with a service before.Looking at it,I think there's too much of a margin for error if I try to help,as I'm unfamiliar.So I'm going to go ahead and refer you to Spybot support:
https://www.safer-networking.org/support/

AS might likely be showing as off if the Spybot Scanner Service is not running.When that's running,looks like it says Ative.If you rightclick the Spybot start center,select Run As Administrator,checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Settings,then System Services,you can try to Install or Start the Scanner Service there.However,if you did not stop the Scanner Service yourself,that service may be having trouble starting as well.In that case,please tell support about that in the form you fill out,also.

Sorry I couldn't help you here.Good luck with Support. :greeting: