PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10: Can't upgrade, and can't uninstall

DouglasG
2015-08-06, 12:58
Hello. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. Here are the problems and how I got it installed. Spybot was installed prior to upgrading (on 8.1)

Spybot is not appearing within Apps on Start menu
If I try to upgrade to the latest Spybot version, it tells me the Spybot path doesn't exist if I select "Uninstall Old Version"
Spybot does appear within Apps listing in Settings, but it won't let me uninstall it

So it's strange. Spybot exists, but it doesn't.

If I unselect "Uninstall Old Version" during the install of 2.4, the installer runs, but I get an error at the end saying, "Unable to execute SDWSCSvc.exe"

If I click through the error, it looks like it completes the install

So just wanted to pass along this issue and the workaround.

niall2
2015-08-06, 16:49
Please go to our uninstall tool page at:
https://www.safer-networking.org/support/missing-files/uninstall-tool/

Here, download all 3 files; "unins000.exe", "unins000.msg" and "unins000.dat".

These will download to your Downloads folder or other default location.

Copy these files to your Spybot program folder at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2
or
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2

Once these have been copied, run "unins000.exe" (the one in your Spybot program folder) as an administrator to remove any traces of Spybot from your PC.

You can then download Spybot 2.4 from the link below:
http://spybot-mirror.com/files/spybot-2.4.exe

This can be upgraded to version 2.5 by running the file "Post Windows 10 Spybot-install", which will appear on your desktop after the installation of 2.4. The "Post Windows 10..." file can then be deleted.

JMemonic
2015-08-07, 21:41

or

Once these have been copied, run "unins000.exe" (the one in your Spybot program folder) as an administrator to remove any traces of Spybot from your PC.

This can be upgraded to version 2.5 by running the file "Post Windows 10 Spybot-install", which will appear on your desktop after the installation of 2.4. The "Post Windows 10..." file can then be deleted.

The above sounds great however, there is no directory, I can not create a directory, there was a directory in a new path the upgrade created called C:\Windows.old I attempted to first move the files into this, no success, I tried to move or copy this folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 only to be told the directory already exists and cannot be over written. Tried removing C:\Windows.old\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2, but am still told "Error 183:Cannot create a file when that file already exists".

Have tried to edit registry and removed all trace of Spybot, and its paths, no success still.

This issue exists on two machine seem that were upgrade form windows 7.

OriginalGabriel
2015-08-13, 05:34
The above sounds great however, there is no directory, I can not create a directory, there was a directory in a new path the upgrade created called C:\Windows.old I attempted to first move the files into this, no success, I tried to move or copy this folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 only to be told the directory already exists and cannot be over written. Tried removing C:\Windows.old\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2, but am still told "Error 183:Cannot create a file when that file already exists".

Have tried to edit registry and removed all trace of Spybot, and its paths, no success still.

This issue exists on two machine seem that were upgrade form windows 7.

I have the same issue.

I was going to update all my definitions in SpyBot, Avast, etc. and found that SpyBot wasn't in my Start Menu; I assumed MS uninstalled it, downloaded a new copy and went to uninstall it only to have the installer tell me that SpyBot was installed; it prompted to uninstall the original copy, but then couldn't find the original copy; I checked my programs list in the Control Panel and it wasn't there either; I found this thread and went to copy the files over only to find that the directories aren't present.

Have you found a fix for this?

OriginalGabriel
2015-08-13, 05:39

or

I have the same issue as OP and this fix does not work as those folders do not exist.

I recreated the folders, but when I ran the 'unins000.exe' file, once I got past the "reason for uninstalling", I received the following error:

An error occured removing the scheduled task Check for updates (Spybot - Search & Destroy)!
Could not call proc.

This was followed by a bunch of similar messages.

niall2
2015-08-13, 16:41
If the Spybot program folder does not exist, you may have to recreate it and copy the files to this folder.

For 64-bit systems, please go to the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\
In this folder, create a new folder called "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2".

For 32-bit systems, go to the folder:
C:\Program Files\
and create a new folder called "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2".

The uninstall files must be copied here, and "unins000.exe" should then be run as an administrator by right-clicking the file and choosing the option to "Run as Administrator".

Capnmchl
2015-08-14, 12:15
Hi. First time poster, looking for some advice with this.

I have the same problem as the OP - after upgrading to Win10 from Win7, Spybot doesn't appear in the start menu, it is visible on the installed apps list but nothing happens if I click uninstall, and if I try to install it again, it says no.

So I followed the advice given here, and downloaded the three files. Went to put them in program files, but the folder was not there. Found it at C:\Windows.Old and decided to copy the entire Spybot folder to C:\Program Files. Pasted the three downloads in there and tried to run it, and it came up with a message box saying "This installation can only be uninstalled on 64-bit windows." Bear in mind my installation is 32-bit. So I tried it multiple ways (through the installed apps list, and the installation program) and each time the same message.

So then I tried deleting everything within the C:\Program Files\Spybot etc... and just re-pasting the downloaded files. Again, the prompt saying that I require a 64-bit system. Tried putting it all into C:\Windows.Old and again, requires a 64-bit operating system.

Wtf Spybot! So, how do I fix this?

JMemonic
2015-08-16, 11:06
Ok I have had a little time to spare so I have looked into solving mine.

After reading this post,

If the Spybot program folder does not exist, you may have to recreate it and copy the files to this folder.

For 64-bit systems, please go to the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\
In this folder, create a new folder called "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2".

For 32-bit systems, go to the folder:
C:\Program Files\
and create a new folder called "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2".

The uninstall files must be copied here, and "unins000.exe" should then be run as an administrator by right-clicking the file and choosing the option to "Run as Administrator".

and thinking niall2 doesn't get the problem, I thought on it another way, Windows is telling me that folder exists but I cant locate it anywhere so perhaps I can simply create it on another drive and merge it into the respective program files folder. This shouldn't have worked but it did.

Create in the root drive the folder "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2", the copy the files removal files it. Copy the folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\, you might need to use admin privileges, enter the folder and run the executable. It throws up a heap of error messages but seemed to work, I was able to install a fresh copy of search and destroy.

I hope this helps, you might need to try both program files folders for it to work properly for you, I really cant say, you will need admin rights to get it to work though.

davebee
2015-08-24, 11:15
Hi Chaps i'm new so maybe some mistakes but I found a work round which solved this problem for me and installed the latest version.
I have a small program "Search Everything" on my desktop which lists every file on my PC, it is very useful and helped me solve this problem.
"Error 183 cannot create a file, a file already exists." Getting rid of the existing file is the problem but by opening "Search Everything" and typing Spybot in the search bar at the top it comes up with every relevant Spybot file.
Right click each file and delete it working through the list then restart your PC.
When you are ready download Spybot 2.4 which should now be possible.
When it has installed and updated and the permissions, it should then offer the latest update for windows 10 - Download and install.
It worked for me !

lucyframe520
2015-08-25, 06:20
Me too,when i update all my definitions in SpyBot, Avast, etc. and found that SpyBot wasn't in my Start Menu;

Digitaldwarf
2015-08-26, 17:04
Me too,when i update all my definitions in SpyBot, Avast, etc. and found that SpyBot wasn't in my Start Menu;

Hello forum members. I have the same problem and would like to mention that I have found a possible reason why Spybot shows in the Apps list but will not uninstall. Having read all the posts on this I started looking for a folder anywhere on my PC ... and found one, in 'windows.old'. I haven't done anything about it yet, since I am not sure what will happen, but I can only guess that it is not possible to delete individual files from 'windows.old' using the uninstall function of windows. I understand that this directory is used to roll back the system to Windows 7 (within 30 days of install of W10), so maybe it is not treated as a normal file or is even packed and therefore not accessible as a set of individual files. Anyway, I will leave the problem to someone more knowledgeable than me and hope someone will be able to work on this angle before I do anything more. Look forward to hearing from you.

Rubén Pozo
2015-09-06, 16:07
Hello. I write from Spain. I have just registered myself in this forum to tell you how I have been able to fix this problem on my laptop.

- Go to this link: http://www.voidtools.com/
- Download "Everything-1.3.4.686.x86-Setup.exe"
- Install
- Open the program and in the search bar write "spybot". In a few seconds will appear all files that has that term.
- Try to delete what you can. Some files may cannot delete. I think the key is to delete the files located in "windows.old"
- Turn off the device (not reinitialize, only turn off).
- Wait one minute and turn on.

I have managed fix the problem with those steps. I hope this post may be serve to help to someone.

Greetings.

tashi
2015-09-06, 16:33
Hello Rubén Pozo, :welcome:

- Try to delete what you can. Some files may cannot delete. I think the key is to delete the files located in "windows.old"

Windows upgrade allows users 30 days to try Windows 10 or downgrade to their previous operating system. If the folder Windows.old is deleted they will not be able to downgrade.

After any upgrade it is best to use caution and keep that folder at least until one is certain it won't be needed. :)

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-8.1-7-guide/

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/300077440/will-windows-10-ship-with-downgrade-options-to-windows-7.htm

Best regards.

Rubén Pozo
2015-09-06, 18:24
Hello tashi. Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

Well, I hope to do not have to downgrade to Windows 7. I would like to stay with Windows 10. Now I have deleted those files therefore I have not option ha ha :D:

:sick:

Greetings from Spain :popcorn:

lucyframe520
2015-10-10, 11:45
Hello forum members. I have the same problem and would like to mention that I have found a possible reason why Spybot shows in the Apps list but will not uninstall. Having read all the posts on this I started looking for a folder anywhere on my PC ... and found one,casesam (http://www.casesam.co.uk) in 'windows.old'. I haven't done anything about it yet, since I am not sure what will happen, but I can only guess that it is not possible to delete individual files from 'windows.old' using the uninstall function of windows. I understand that this directory is used to roll back the system to Windows 7 (within 30 days of install of W10), Samsung Galaxy S6 edge cover (http://www.casesam.co.uk/category-galaxy-s6-edge-case-cover-10.html) so maybe it is not treated as a normal file or is even packed and therefore not accessible as a set of individual files. Anyway, I will leave the problem to someone more knowledgeable than me and hope someone will be able to work on this angle before I do anything more. Look forward to hearing from you.
Sorry,i just noticed this message...

bbuilder
2015-11-08, 12:16
Hi Chaps i'm new so maybe some mistakes but I found a work round which solved this problem for me and installed the latest version.
I have a small program "Search Everything" on my desktop which lists every file on my PC, it is very useful and helped me solve this problem.
"Error 183 cannot create a file, a file already exists." Getting rid of the existing file is the problem but by opening "Search Everything" and typing Spybot in the search bar at the top it comes up with every relevant Spybot file.
Right click each file and delete it working through the list then restart your PC.
When you are ready download Spybot 2.4 which should now be possible.
When it has installed and updated and the permissions, it should then offer the latest update for windows 10 - Download and install.
It worked for me !

This worked perfectly. I had all the symptoms described elsewhere in this thread and this was the only solution that worked (Win 10, 64 bit)

patcoghm
2015-11-22, 23:23
Hello. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. Here are the problems and how I got it installed. Spybot was installed prior to upgrading (on 8.1)

Spybot is not appearing within Apps on Start menu
If I try to upgrade to the latest Spybot version, it tells me the Spybot path doesn't exist if I select "Uninstall Old Version"
Spybot does appear within Apps listing in Settings, but it won't let me uninstall it

So it's strange. Spybot exists, but it doesn't.

If I unselect "Uninstall Old Version" during the install of 2.4, the installer runs, but I get an error at the end saying, "Unable to execute SDWSCSvc.exe"

If I click through the error, it looks like it completes the install

So just wanted to pass along this issue and the workaround.

I like the old version 1.62 and Spybot advises both old and new versions work in Windows 10. The old version I can schedule auto running, but have not found this feature in 2.4.

When you install windows10 a folder called "Windows.old" is found in your primary c drive. This is where Spybot is found or hidden. To start how I found it, I installed the workaround for the lost start menu called "Start10". This showed the lost Spybot where it was in the old Windows7 menu. A right click on the file and select "open folder location" and it takes you to a "Windows.old" folder found in the C Drive.
I was trying to install it but it was on the machine, but not visible. Installs failed to complete. A Google search for windows.old advises that after 30 days of initial using Windows10, they delete this folder. At that time I guess Spybot will be gone and a new install will be required. It doesn't show in the "programs and features folder" in the control panel, so it can't be deleted. After the "Windows.old" folder is gone i have no idea what will happen. My other machines that are older then 30 days had Spybot installed without any problems when I noticed it was missing. A search indicated that windows 10 makes Spybot disappear, but its still on the machines not allowing a new version to be installed in the new windows10 Program Files (x86) folder.