PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10

Pages : [1] 2

PepiMK
2015-08-24, 19:11
Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10.

Seeing the bunch of incomplete or broken scripts to disable tracking in Windows 10, and the tools that install adware or worse in exchange for their function, we wrapped disabling tracking up in a small tool that's free and clean. Might or might not become part of the next Spybot, since it's similar to immunization, but it's needed now, and it's still work in progress as more and more information evolves.

Choose one:

Download latest stand-alone (just the executable, not localized) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=58)
Download latest Installer (includes German localization) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55)
Download latest PortableApps Edition (beta version for portable testing) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=56)

Version 1.6 (November 11th, 2016)

Additional Telemetry Immunization Categories
Additional Blocked Hosts
Immunization of Office 13/16 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks and Options is possible even if Microsoft Office is not installed (previously they appeared to immunize correctly, but the immunization could not be undone in Anti-Beacon)

Version 1.5 (October 19th, 2015)

Implemented /silent
Added Office 15 (2013) Telemetry immunization (Group Policies & Scheduled Tasks)
Added Office 16 (2016) Telemetry immunization (Group Policies & Scheduled Tasks)
Hosts file block IP default changed from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0
Added own group policy for hosts file read only flag
Added own group policy for hosts file block IP
Added own group policies for hiding each immunizer
Added OpenSSL libraries to installer
Added OpenSSL credits to About dialog
Added own scheduled task

Version 1.4 (September 16th, 2015)

Service names are now read from the registry to be in local language
About dialog now has an update checker
Added details option to Optional immunizers
Added FAQ tab
Change log moved to About dialog to avoid too many main tabs and standardize SNL app changelogs
Added license to About dialog
Height auto-adjusted to screens work area now
Base immunization type for adding IPs to firewall
Added license to installer

Version 1.3 (September 9th, 2015)

Moved option to show/hide checkboxes to global button
Added details for most entries
Added task bar color progress
Added task bar tasks
Fixed hosts file locked issue
Improved log output
added command line parameters

Version 1.2 (August 28th, 2015)

Added Cortana group policy
Added OneDrive service & goup policy
Added CEIP scheduled task
Added Remote Registry service (choose based on need)
Fixed total status
Added support for scheduled tasks
Added fallback method to disable system services
Added German localization

Version 1.1 (August 24th, 2015)

Fixed hosts total count
Added Optional tab, new search settings
Added more hosts
Fixed typos

Version 1.0 (August 19th, 2015)

Initial release

searchlight
2015-08-26, 07:26
I downloaded your program from MajorGeeks and applied or immunized all protections for my Windows 10 PC. The green bars state protection is applied but at the top, a large red bar states that no protection has been applied. You have a glitch.

PepiMK
2015-08-26, 08:19
Thanks for the report. I think this is version 1.1? I can confirm that the "Optional" tab stati are used for the overall status on the "Protection" tab.

We're working on a 1.2 update with a few more things (including the stuff that comes to Windows 7 and up now).

PepiMK
2015-08-28, 12:09
Download link (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85556593/SDCutTheLine.exe) updated to version 1.2 (exe that can be directly used).

Includes a bunch of additional protections (now cares about scheduled tasks as well),
fixes the total hosts count
adds localization (German only),
adds optional issues (you can add more privacy based on preferences, e.g. with Cortana and OneDrive).

To get the German localization as well, pick the installer (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85556593/SpybotAntiBeacon-1.2-setup.exe) instead.

PepiMK
2015-08-31, 11:49
Available as our first direct PortableApps installer now as well, if you want to help testing, check the PortableApps forum here (http://portableapps.com/node/52618).

chinawudichao
2015-09-01, 01:35
Thanks PepiMK and Team Spybot for your hardly work ! Greetings from a Chinese guy who works as an IT Tech Support at Sydney CBD, Australia !

RypeDub
2015-09-07, 17:28
Hey i just downloaded this on Windows 8.1.

I have been using this for a while: https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

When I opened up Anti-Beacon, it said I was only 16% immunized.

What I would like to know is what exactly does this program do?

It needs a FULL transparency report ASAP.

Also: are there arguments to export to an actual log file? The log tab only outputted 2 lines.

Lastly: there are no options in the Optional tab.

Epicity
2015-09-09, 05:34
Is there a way to block the pinging to bing when you search?

Sander92
2015-09-09, 10:22
Hey i just downloaded this on Windows 8.1.

I have been using this for a while: https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

When I opened up Anti-Beacon, it said I was only 16% immunized.

What I would like to know is what exactly does this program do?

It needs a FULL transparency report ASAP.

Also: are there arguments to export to an actual log file? The log tab only outputted 2 lines.

Lastly: there are no options in the Optional tab.

This is an early version of the program as far as I've been able to gather. To enabing the program after running it you have to press 'Immunize' in the lower right corner. I had somme immunization from before as well, which was at 32%, I can only assume this is from what we have already done on our own to limit the data Microsoft recieves.

Some information on what this does would be great though, but at least my PC doesn't 'phone home' nearly as much now.

Thanks guys and gals at Spybot! <3

PepiMK
2015-09-09, 13:22
On Windows 8.1, it doesn't show as many options as on Windows 10.

We heard your call for transparency: the new version 1.3 (see links above) has a button to show details on each entry :)

(now that we show what we flag, please feel free to name others we're missing :) )

jackthesmack
2015-09-10, 13:58
I run Peerblock, which has a list of Microsoft IPs blocked. After I ran all the immunization, then opened my Start Menu and started typing things in, Peerblock was still catching requests to Microsoft servers. Specifically to IP 204.79.197.200:443

strykenKN
2015-09-10, 15:04
Hello there,

since I installed version 1.3 and all have immunized, my Outlook stops working app, this is no longer updated and fetches any new messages more pure! I set everything back to its original state back it works again!

PepiMK
2015-09-11, 13:33
Thanks jackthesmack, I'll check what exactly we should do for IPs (right now it only blocks host names)

strykenKN: would you be so kind and try entry by entry? 1.3 now has checkboxes.
Or... did this not happen with 1.2 or earlier? Then I could check what's new in 1.3.
Which version of Outlook is it?

RypeDub
2015-09-13, 03:03
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Could you guys add the latest version info there, so I don't have to check the forum post all the time?

Also, when will the app get an updater through its self?

RECONBunny
2015-09-14, 03:55
I don't know what happened but this crippled by Windows 10 Mail app. I have stopped using SD Cut The Line. I thought it was permanently crippled but I un-did every option and re-booted. It's working now kind of. I receive mail but I get a message box saying cannot get a connection or something with an error code.

Unless I missed something you guys should probably go back through and find what causes this and fix it pronto.

PepiMK
2015-09-14, 14:01

Could you guys add the latest version info there, so I don't have to check the forum post all the time?

Also, when will the app get an updater through its self?

That one will get updated asap. It will then point to our download portal - this is the link (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55).

Updating itself could be a next step, right :) First releases were a single executable without even installer, there it would have been more difficult.

Small update: integrated update check, download and install has been added - see About dialog in next version, 1.4. Before the release of 1.4, we'll have to check that Windows 10 Mail / Outlook issue though!

RypeDub
2015-09-15, 03:14
I don't know what happened but this crippled by Windows 10 Mail app. I have stopped using SD Cut The Line. I thought it was permanently crippled but I un-did every option and re-booted. It's working now kind of. I receive mail but I get a message box saying cannot get a connection or something with an error code.

Unless I missed something you guys should probably go back through and find what causes this and fix it pronto.

If you are talking about the Mail app that is bundled with Windows 8/8.1/10 then you are referring to the one that is on the Microsoft Store.

This app, as well as many other apps, are apart of the monitoring/surveillance/tracking/privacy violations/etc. and are going to definitely not function any more after running this program.

This is something you as the user would definitely need to be aware of.

It's not Anti-Beacon / CutTheLine's fault, really, it's just the way M$FT integrated their apps into Windows it's self, at the core/kernel level.

My suggestion is to keep using CutTheLine, NEVER give up your privacy, and look into other mail clients.

I personally like Mozilla Thunderbird because it resembles the paid-for program Microsoft Outlook.

PepiMK
2015-09-15, 11:24
Good news: it seems only the optional "OneDrive Service" is responsible for Windows Mail not working. After undoing this immunization, a reboot is indeed necessary. That's why it's listed as "Optional" :lip: Everything else can be applied. OneDrive sync is on the lists of many similar tools, but as with all optional entries, you need to make a choice based on your needs.

But this seems to be an important point - we added a FAQ tab to the main window (and moved the Changelog to the About dialog to avoid too many tabs).

Billaboard
2015-09-17, 23:15
I've installed OK on a W10 machine, but on a W7 machine with Avira AV, it says

"Virus or unwanted program 'TR/ATRAPS.Gen2 [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Test\Spybot Anti-Beacon\SDCutTheLine.exe.
Action performed: Deny access"

I have actually installed the Anti-beacon by temporarily disabling Avira, and nothing shows up with a scan, but I'd appreciate a comment.

Kyzoku
2015-09-18, 00:38
Your optional "Telemetry IPs" in version 1.4 blocks the ability to search bing.com
Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone who immunized against it and couldn't figure it out.

tsunami2311
2015-09-18, 03:04
This is list of Address people are block via router for all the telemetry in win 10
grabed from https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Disable-Windows-10-tracking

IT it said some of the address are hardcoded and cant be block from system, but router can be told to drop it

a.ads1.msn.com
a.ads2.msads.net
a.ads2.msn.com
a.rad.msn.com
a-0001.a-msedge.net
a-0002.a-msedge.net
a-0003.a-msedge.net
a-0004.a-msedge.net
a-0005.a-msedge.net
a-0006.a-msedge.net
a-0007.a-msedge.net
a-0008.a-msedge.net
a-0009.a-msedge.net
ac3.msn.com
ad.doubleclick.net
adnexus.net
adnxs.com
ads.msn.com
ads1.msads.net
ads1.msn.com
aidps.atdmt.com
aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
a-msedge.net
apps.skype.com
az361816.vo.msecnd.net
az512334.vo.msecnd.net
b.ads1.msn.com
b.ads2.msads.net
b.rad.msn.com
bs.serving-sys.com
c.atdmt.com
c.msn.com
cdn.atdmt.com
cds26.ams9.msecn.net
choice.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
compatexchange.cloudapp.net
corp.sts.microsoft.com
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
db3aqu.atdmt.com
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
ec.atdmt.com
fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
feedback.search.microsoft.com
feedback.windows.com
flex.msn.com
g.msn.com
h1.msn.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
live.rads.msn.com
m.adnxs.com
m.hotmail.com
msedge.net
msftncsi.com
msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
msntest.serving-sys.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
preview.msn.com
pricelist.skype.com
rad.live.com
rad.msn.com
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
s.gateway.messenger.live.com
s0.2mdn.net
schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
secure.adnxs.com
secure.flashtalking.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com
sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
static.2mdn.net
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
survey.watson.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
view.atdmt.com
vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
watson.live.com
watson.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
www.msftncsi.com

Mariovit
2015-09-19, 23:08
Silent command not work

PepiMK
2015-09-21, 16:18
https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-GB/filescanjob/fes43c9axe
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/04c8ec78392bac0abb1d5cd3722a9a68564dc7ca06aeb1f4bd832cb9a26a2b54/analysis/

@Billaboard: There's just one AV reporting something currently:
VirusTotal results (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/04c8ec78392bac0abb1d5cd3722a9a68564dc7ca06aeb1f4bd832cb9a26a2b54/analysis/)
Mighte be bad heuristics, since this tool uses the hosts file, firewall and more.

@Kyzoku: Thanks for the reporting regarding Bing, I'll re-label this!

@tsumai2311: wow, thanks for the extensive list! The issue with lists like these is that it blocks not just MS stuff, but also some ad servers, for example (good for me, but not the purpose of the app), and complete apps like Skype. As for the hardcoded stuff - that might work around the DNS blocking via hosts file, but with 1.4, we've also started using the integrated Windows Firewall. Might be worth checking whether that can get passed as well.

@Mariovit: the About list of parameters is auto-generated, this one is indeed not implemented yet in 1.4. Will be in 1.5 (just tested, it's there now).

To sum up: thanks to all of you for helping finding what's up next for 1.5 :)

noel-pr7
2015-09-22, 19:55
Hi PepiMK.

I got a chance to try out the latest version of your Spybot Anti-Beacon app (a Portable one) and ran it on a Win7 computer.
Found a minor bug in v1.4. After running it and clicking on the Minimize button to minimize the program window, it minimizes on the lower-left hand side of the screen and when I try to click on it (or click on the restore window icon), the spybot anti-beacon program window does not get restored. while it was minimized, I had to click on the close button [X] to close the program - that was my only option.

I've figured out what CEIP Scheduled Tasks that are being blocked by Spybot Anti-Beacon...almost all of them.
I opened Task Scheduler by running taskschd.msc, expand the Microsoft section, then expand the Windows section, and checked the following sections:

Application Experience > set the "ProgramData" task to Disable
Autochk > set the "Proxy" task to Disable
Customer Experience Improvement Program > set the "Consolidator" task to Disable
DiskDiagnostic > set the "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" task to Disable

If you manually disable these specified Tasks in Task Scheduler, the Spybot Anti-Beacon app will see these CEIP based tasks as Blocked.

4ayo19
2015-09-24, 03:13
I am running version 1.4 on Windows 10 and have noticed 2 issues.

1. The check update functionality is not working. I get an error saying "An unknown error occured while trying to search for updates: SSL/TLS support is not compiled!"
2. The most important, the app has placed a file-write lock or changed some permission of the hosts file because now I can't edit it to add my own entries. I am used to adding entries used for web-deving, now I can't. Even if I disable the 'immunizations' I still can edit the host file, not even as an administrator.

MarkAtHome
2015-09-24, 07:50
I just installed Spybot Anti-Beacon v1.4.0.26 on my Win7SP1 x64 Ultimate PC. Install completed and return this pop-up window:

Clicking "OK", the program ran just fine. This happens on all subsequent launches.

OnePingOnly
2015-09-24, 16:39
request please don't use 127.0.0.1 but 0.0.0.0 or even 0 to block via the hosts file, it's faster because you don't have to wait for a timeout.

dave88
2015-09-25, 01:05
As for the hardcoded stuff - that might work around the DNS blocking via hosts file, but with 1.4, we've also started using the integrated Windows Firewall. Might be worth checking whether that can get passed as well.

Indeed, they've skipped the hosts, might as well jump the firewall too?

Thanks for the handy tool

tsunami2311
2015-09-26, 20:34
@PepiMK

Yes it huge list I got from https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Disable-Windows-10-tracking

I was gona just block all of it from my router I have not fiqure out how to do that yet. Block it from router is only way to stop it with 100% certainty. as for the "apps" i hate them all they should not be on windows desktop OS so i could care less about it that breaks things, I might switch to LTSB of enterpise win 10, just to not have any of the "apps" installed

Win7 and 8.1 have been infect with all this in recent updates too

PepiMK
2015-09-28, 15:11
Again many thanks for the valuable feedback everyone :)

@noel-pr7: the immunize bug will be fixed in 1.5 :)

You can find out what gets blocked by clicking the "Show details" button... we try to list it all there :)

@4ayo19: my apologies, I'll make sure the latest version of the necessary OpenSSL libraries are included in the installer!

Setting the hosts file read only is something we do in Spybot as well. Simply right-click it, open Properties, and remove the read-only flag.

There's now a group policy (call gpedit.msc, check Administrative.../Safer-Networking.../Spybot Anti-Beacon/Hosts/)

@MarkAtHome: as for 4ayo19, the issue is that Anti-Beacon should not depend on the SSL libraries to exist on the system. Will fix!

@OnePingOnly: I remember lengthy discussions about 127.0.0.1 vs. 0.0.0.0 from the early times of Spybots immunization. I've just noticed that while in Spybot, there's a registry tweak to change this, there is none in Anti-Beacon.

There's now a group policy for this as well in 1.5.

Mijnged8
2015-10-19, 04:20
After running Spybot Anti-Beacon my anti-virus software Bitdefender Total Security warns me for an infection of the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Bitdefender adds that it has desinfected the item. It also claims the virus is Trojan.QHost.Gen.

I'm running Spybot Anti-Beacon 1.0.4 (installer version) on Windows 8.1.

Before the warning Spybot Anti-Beacon showed a 100% protection. After the virus warning, I ran Anti-Beacon again and now the protection level is only 22% (7 of 32). None of the Telemetry Hosts are blocked, the other three (Telemetry Group Policy, CEIP Group Policy and CEIP Scheduled Tasks) are all blocked (see image). The optional Remote Registry Service is "all blocked" too.

tashi
2015-10-19, 17:57
Hello Mijnged8,

I'm running Spybot Anti-Beacon 1.0.4 (installer version) on Windows 8.1.

The subject of this topic is Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10.

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10.

Have you used Spybot Anti-Beacon on a Windows 10 operating system? :)

Best regards.

carloscape
2015-10-20, 22:52
After applying the block to the Optional Telemetry Hosts (Extensive list), I noticed skype chats wouldn't update properly. I could see some updates, but several rooms wouldn't even load. In a future update, I would suggest that the Skype servers could either be excluded, or the ones that affect usage be removed from the list or included in their own category. That way, I could benefit from the additional block without loosing functionality on skype.

Once I identified what was causing my skype issues, I had to undo that block to recover skype use.

PepiMK
2015-10-21, 15:46
Actually, a few of its immunizations are available on Windows 8.1 (due to the Windows Update adding telemetry to older OS as well), and I must admit I haven't opened a separate thread for those.

Btw, 1.5 was released yesterday.

Anyway... looks like your BitDefender seems to think that blocking Microsoft servers is a bad thing. Understandable, since malware might block MS to avoid updates, but a bit too harsh here.

spinout
2015-10-21, 17:43
Btw, 1.5 was released yesterday.

Hi,
where can i download v1.5(just the executable) e.g. SDCutTheLine-1.5.exe?

Installer or PortableApps(worse than Installer) not needed...

asherpoint
2015-10-21, 22:03
1. Love the program Thank You!!
2. For those who want version 1.5 go here https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php
3. In version 1.5.0.35 it does not disable the Office 16 (2016) Task Schedule, when clicking apply...however i fixed this by looking at Show Details to see which tasks they were and then went into Task Scheduler manually and disabled them there. Upon reloading Anti-Beacon it then showed them as blocked.
4. Had to do the Telemetry Hosts (Extensive List) twice to get it to update the hosts file and stay updated (Did it first time, said all blocked, exited program, went in again,said needed protection,blocked again,exited, went in again this time showing all blocked) Might be something my end,who knows seems fine now :)

Thanks again and great job !

dave88
2015-10-25, 03:43
Hi,
where can i download v1.5(just the executable) e.g. SDCutTheLine-1.5.exe?

Installer or PortableApps(worse than Installer) not needed...

I concur, there is no need for an installer for this program.
Is there any info on what is new in 1.5?
Also, some clarity that this is also for windows 7 and 8.1 is probably in order as it seems even your own "team member" is unaware.

:thanks:

spinout
2015-10-25, 08:33
SpybotAntiBeacon v1.5 extracted from original Installer file (http://rghost.ru/86KkNBj9X).
Unpack archived folder and use it.

dave88
2015-10-26, 05:20
I appreciate the effort spinout, and I'm sure the file is probably safe. But I just can't bring myself to run an exe from an unknown source. :fear:

PepiMK
2015-10-27, 10:38
I usually copy the pure .exe over as well, just didn't link it anywhere. I've updated the first post here. Will think about adding it to the downloads portal as well.

What's new is listed on the downloads page, but will add above.

Edit #2: the download portal now has all stand-alone releases as well, and the link here points to there, so it'll always be up to date!

spinout
2015-10-27, 17:51
I've updated the first post here.
The download portal now has all stand-alone releases as well, and the link here points to there, so it'll always be up to date!

Thank you. :bigthumb:

dicerabbit
2015-10-27, 19:38
Issue causing accounts / imapp gmail / etc to not work with windows 10 apps so far attributed to the calendar and mail app if used with online email accounts in my case gmail
Through a process of elimination, painstakingly applying one after another I found that the culprit breaking the calender and mail apps is one of the OneDrive blocks in the optional section,

It causes the apps to display error code: 0x800f081f when adding an account, and any currently active accounts are unaccessible.

I apologise if this was already known or if I havent read something, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was happening then realised the only thing different applied on my machine from another was the blocks from this tool.

Thought it was worth noting in case anyone was faced with similar issues, or shed some light as to why the OneDrive blocks break these particular apps.

kind regards :p

dave88
2015-10-27, 23:12
I usually copy the pure .exe over as well, just didn't link it anywhere. I've updated the first post here. Will think about adding it to the downloads portal as well.

Edit #2: the download portal now has all stand-alone releases as well, and the link here points to there, so it'll always be up to date!

Thanks for the great tool Pepi :bigthumb:

TiagoTiago
2015-10-28, 16:59
After applying all the immunizations, is it safe (in regards to privacy concerns) to install updates without checking on the web if they've been associated with spying activities? (I'm running Win7 64bits, in case that matters)

dave88
2015-10-28, 18:51
After applying all the immunizations, is it safe (in regards to privacy concerns) to install updates without checking on the web if they've been associated with spying activities? (I'm running Win7 64bits, in case that matters)

Not in my opinion. You should still avoid the Windows 7 & 8.1 snooping updates if you value your privacy. MS has repackaged these a couple times now. There is no reason to think they won't do it again, maybe even including a workaround for these countermeasures? In windows 10 I understand they bypass the hosts file for a lot of communication, they could easily do the same for win7 and 8.1.

askwoody.com is a great resource for keeping on top of the updates.

grbosse
2015-11-05, 01:36
Is any solutions available for Windows 8.1 with Avira antivirus? Everything is blocked except Telemetry Hosts. 16% protected (7 of 44)

brt88965
2015-11-05, 18:17
I saw this post about Windows 8.1: "After running Spybot Anti-Beacon my anti-virus software Bitdefender Total Security warns me for an infection of the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Bitdefender adds that it has desinfected the item. It also claims the virus is Trojan.QHost.Gen."

It is also true for Windows 10 64bit. When I reopen Spybot Anti-Beacon, it's showing as 30% immunized, 16 of 53. I downloaded the latest version, 1.5, from MajorGeeks.

Is this a false-positive? If so, is there a way to keep Bitdefender from removing the new entries in the Hosts file?

Under the Protection tab, Telemetry Hosts lists "no blocks yet", but everything else is blocked. Under the Optional tab, Telemetry Hosts (extensive list) shows part of the bar green, but doesn't state how many of the 70 are blocked - I'm assuming zero is blocked from the information under the Protection tab. Everything else, other than Bing because I use it sometimes, is showing as blocked.

ldmtulsa
2015-11-06, 17:24
I have installed ver 1.5 on 3 different pc's and the app is using 25 - 30% of the cpu cycles. Is anyone else experiencing this?

dave88
2015-11-10, 08:53
It shouldn't even be running, except when you actually use it?

It doesn't do anything in real time, it just changes settings and adds entries to the hosts file.

malware1
2015-11-11, 10:17
Hello,
Do you accept user-made translations?
I can translate it to Polish.

noel-pr7
2015-11-18, 19:02

But the "Portable" downloads of Spybot Anti-beacon is missing version 1.5:
https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=56
(V1.5 is not even mentioned there - latest portable version is still v1.4 :sad:)

can someone post a 1.5 version of Spybot anti-beacon portable there?

MaineGeezer
2015-11-19, 14:51
I have installed ver 1.5 on 3 different pc's and the app is using 25 - 30% of the cpu cycles. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes -- I just installed the latest (whatever the "latest" is as of November 19) version on a fully patched 64-bit Windows 7 system and it's chewing up 25% of the CPU. I am also running Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defenderr, Zone Alarm, and MalwareBytes, which may be causing a conflict somewhere.....

MegaCrazy
2015-11-22, 00:51
Hey first big thanks for making this!
I have a problem with Windows Mail app and Anti-Beacon, I know its you have on the FAQ and on the optional tab to not block the OneDrive service.
I tought I could live without it but I got used to it and I still want to use it, but I can not undo it it always stays 1 of 2 blocked.

On the logs I got this:
[i] OneDrive Service: Unable to start service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: O servi?o especificado n?o existe como servi?o instalado.
witch translates to specified service does not exist.
What can I do to fix this?

PepiMK
2015-11-23, 17:07
What exactly is chewing up the 25%? Anti-Beacon when you open it's window? Can you show details from Task Manager or another process explorer?

Nicholas Steel
2015-11-25, 08:28
---------------------------
Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable (PortableApps.com Launcher)
Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable cannot be started. You may wish to re-install to fix this issue. (ERROR: App\SpybotAntiBeacon\SDCutTheLine.exe could not be found)
OK

This appears after updating to the latest portable version of Spybot Anti-Beacon under Windows 10 x64. Also you have no forum section for this product of yours...

mgiesbre
2015-11-25, 14:50
I tried using the Spybot Anti Beacon. I figured it was a one time thing. I noticed that on boot up it, it loads, and consumes 7.8 - 8% of the consumed CPU cycles. I also found that I could not shut it down via a process explorer. Denied.

1) Why is it running?
2) Why does it need so much CPU?
3) Why can't I shut it down?
4) How do I get rid of it?

PC tech
2015-11-26, 22:03
I installed this program while ago on Win 8.1 after I discovered it. It worked great to prevent telemetry to MS. last week I upgraded to Win 10 build 10586.11, it still worked great over the last week. This morning wupdate installed build 10586.14. And now Spybot Antibecon, about 4 min. after reboot with the new update starts using 15 to 20 percent CPU time. I am currently running Avira free and just before Aintibeacon started its high CPU use Avira bannered an event that said that "a program was trying to change the Hosts file" and that it had prevented it. These two programs played nice in Win 8 and Win 10 before the latest update. When I turned off hosts monitoring in Avira every thing worked fine again. I did this in hopes that Windows would make the changes it wanted to in the hosts file and then I would turn the Avira protection back on and it would accept the new changes. No such luck, shortly after I turned hosts file protection back on, Antibeacon went to the top of the list in CPU use to the same level. Any Ideas or patches. I would like to keep the Avira protection on the hosts file to prevent ad redirection.

Nicholas Steel
2015-11-27, 04:44
Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable (PortableApps.com Launcher)
Spybot Anti-Beacon Portable cannot be started. You may wish to re-install to fix this issue. (ERROR: App\SpybotAntiBeacon\SDCutTheLine.exe could not be found)
OK

This appears after updating to the latest portable version of Spybot Anti-Beacon under Windows 10 x64. Also you have no forum section for this product of yours...

Figured it out, for some reason the Portable package features a copy of the EXE file with the wrong name, causing SpybotAntiBeaconPortable-safer-networking.org.exe to be unable to locate it. I simply renamed the relevant EXE file located at "Spybot Anti-Beacon\App\SpybotAntiBeacon" to SDCutTheLine.exe and now it's working. It was incorrectly renamed to SDAntiBeacon or some such, or alternatively someone forgot to update the Launcher EXE to recognize the name change :)

Nicholas Steel
2015-11-27, 05:02
I tried using the Spybot Anti Beacon. I figured it was a one time thing. I noticed that on boot up it, it loads, and consumes 7.8 - 8% of the consumed CPU cycles. I also found that I could not shut it down via a process explorer. Denied.

1) Why is it running?
2) Why does it need so much CPU?
3) Why can't I shut it down?
4) How do I get rid of it?

AS PC Tech noticed (in the post below yours) it's possible an anti-virus product is interferring with the Anti-Beacon program causing them to infinitely fight each other which could result in the 7% or so CPU usage. Of course you'd think Spybot AntiBeacon would be coded to stop after N failures at applying changes.

Intrepid
2015-11-28, 01:24
I would just like to offer this comment to thank you and your team for this incredibly useful program.

It is sad to find these days that even an operating is actually just a giant piece of malware in itself.

ninja85a
2015-11-29, 17:46
hey ive uninstalled it because it wasnt allowing skype to recvie messages from groupchats and it wasnt able to be updated but i cant install it even though ive uninstalled spybot anti beacon and yes before i uninstalled it i disabled all the protection before hand so what do i have to change in the firewall settings to beable to install skype again?

Ninjabeagle
2015-11-30, 02:43
Hello , This might seem obvious but does Anti Beacon need to be started up each time I start my computer to provide protection ?, and if so, I can't find anywhere in the program to set it to run at start up. Thanks

Mwolff2015
2015-11-30, 13:25
Hi installed version 1.5 but i cant block - Office 13 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks - i press apply and nothing happens...

Any idea how to fix this ?

Thank you

Seeing the bunch of incomplete or broken scripts to disable tracking in Windows 10, and the tools that install adware or worse in exchange for their function, we wrapped disabling tracking up in a small tool that's free and clean. Might or might not become part of the next Spybot, since it's similar to immunization, but it's needed now, and it's still work in progress as more and more information evolves.

Choose one:

Download lastet stand-alone (just the executable, not localized) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=58)
Download latest Installer (includes German localization) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55)
Download latest PortableApps Edition (beta version for portable testing) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=56)

Josephur
2015-12-01, 17:37
I've found two problems that will affect a lot of users.

1) The Microsoft Symbols server msdl.microsoft.com is blocked, this host may be used for more than just Symbol downloading, but I could not use Windows Debugger at all when Beacon added IP blocks to Windows Firewall.

2) Google Hangouts as of last night could not successfully make a call, I thought the service was down all night, disabled the Beacon Windows Firewall rule and tada it started working again.

You may want to make a list of warnings to show users when you block such a large range of IP addresses, some which don't even appear to be MSFT ones!

maffle
2015-12-02, 11:17
Since I applied Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 on my tablet, the battery drain is going crazy:

http://i.imgur.com/yY1oaVw.jpg

PepiMK
2015-12-02, 14:38
Hello , This might seem obvious but does Anti Beacon need to be started up each time I start my computer to provide protection ?, and if so, I can't find anywhere in the program to set it to run at start up. Thanks

No need to run it permanently, but it might be helpful to check again after bigger Windows updates :)

Since I applied Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 on my tablet, the battery drain is going crazy:

http://i.imgur.com/yY1oaVw.jpg

Did you also apply optional blocks ar just the ones from the "Protection" tab?

Seeing mail mentioned, that looks like the OneDrive Service entry, which causes Windows Mail to have issues if blocked. If so, could you please unblock that and reboot (changes to this seem to need a reboot sometimes).

I've found two problems that will affect a lot of users.

1) The Microsoft Symbols server msdl.microsoft.com is blocked, this host may be used for more than just Symbol downloading, but I could not use Windows Debugger at all when Beacon added IP blocks to Windows Firewall.

I don't see msdl.microsoft.com on our lists at all. Are you sure about the domain name? Doesn't sound like anything I would add to the block list at all.

2) Google Hangouts as of last night could not successfully make a call, I thought the service was down all night, disabled the Beacon Windows Firewall rule and tada it started working again.

You may want to make a list of warnings to show users when you block such a large range of IP addresses, some which don't even appear to be MSFT ones!

Large range? The block should be exactly one IP currently (mostly for testing how IP blocking through the firewall works), 204.79.197.200, aka a-0001.a-msedge.net. Wich range do you speak about? That IP also has dozens of bing-related domains, but I didn't see any .microsoft.com domain there except for ieonline.microsoft.com (you can check the first 100 here (http://www.tcpiputils.com/domain-neighbors/204.79.197.200) for example). Bing itself doesn't find (http://www.bing.com/search?q=ip%3a204.79.197.200) the URL you mentioned on this IP.

Could you please post the IP range you speak about, possibly with more details about the firewall entry?

GhhMpf
2015-12-02, 18:06
When I turned off hosts monitoring in Avira every thing worked fine again. I did this in hopes that Windows would make the changes it wanted to in the hosts file and then I would turn the Avira protection back on and it would accept the new changes. No such luck, shortly after I turned hosts file protection back on, Antibeacon went to the top of the list in CPU use to the same level. Any Ideas or patches. I would like to keep the Avira protection on the hosts file to prevent ad redirection.

I had the same problem, exactly with avira. I have just kept the hosts file protection off. It's not Windows that would like to make changes, it's antibeacon, so leaving it off insures antibeacon can always revert it back to blocking the IP's that windows would like to mess with at updates for instance.

GhhMpf
2015-12-02, 18:13
Hi installed version 1.5 but i cant block - Office 13 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks - i press apply and nothing happens...

Any idea how to fix this ?

Thank you

I'm having this problem too. Nothing happens when it is clicked.

Screendump of it. Three office tasks work fine, one does not.

TheHeroBilly
2015-12-03, 06:16
If you could, adding command line args to this, so that it can be run completely via a batch command, that would be amazing, I run my own little tech company and this is widely wanted as a preinstalled program, and I would like it to run on post install without user input.

maffle
2015-12-03, 10:53
Did you also apply optional blocks ar just the ones from the "Protection" tab?

Seeing mail mentioned, that looks like the OneDrive Service entry, which causes Windows Mail to have issues if blocked. If so, could you please unblock that and reboot (changes to this seem to need a reboot sometimes).

http://i.imgur.com/ZZFwu4P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IkCBmdn.jpg

Clicking the OneDrive Undo button does not do anything, it always says 1/2.

The log is full of these:
"hxmail.windowsbackgroundtask" "hxmailunistorenotificationtask"

Opening the mail app works fine though it syncs and I can send mail (via gmail).

Josephur
2015-12-03, 17:09
nslookup msdl.microsoft.com
Server: cdns01.comcast.net
Address: 2001:558:feed::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: msdl.microsoft.akadns.net
Address: 65.55.10.11
Aliases: msdl.microsoft.com

Note they are using akadns, so the geolocation of you to the server could matter on the returned IP when you resolve it.
It must be in your range of IP's you block, because Symbol downloading does not work when immunized, also if it is not this IP specifically then it's some other IP the Windows Debugger software connects to.
It's hard to say exactly for sure If this IP specifically isn't in your block list though, as when you download symbols I believe msdl.microsoft.com can refer you to other servers via it's HTTP responses.

If this IP is not in your range let me know, and I will give you the exact details by snooping on WinDbg.exe's network traffic.

maffle
2015-12-07, 13:59
http://i.imgur.com/ZZFwu4P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IkCBmdn.jpg

Clicking the OneDrive Undo button does not do anything, it always says 1/2.

The log is full of these:
"hxmail.windowsbackgroundtask" "hxmailunistorenotificationtask"

Opening the mail app works fine though it syncs and I can send mail (via gmail).

Bump.

manimpz
2015-12-08, 17:03
Hello fellows,

Is it possible to anti beacon blocking plex media server to transmit movies to my TV, in my home network?

Thanks

bopilot
2015-12-10, 03:43
Anti-Beacon 1.5 - Undo buttons for Optional - Office 15 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks and Office 16 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks don't do anything when clicked.

How do I reset?

win10user
2015-12-11, 08:46
Hi,

love the idea of the program, as microsofts attempt to collect user data on my private machine is one hell of a level up from googles tracking tools on every webpage, at least the inet is public space, well done on this part.

However i have some issues with the current implementation(I´m using ver. 1.5, running windows 10). Few minutes after startup the SDAntiBeacon.exe starts. As i am using avira anti-virus the access to the hosts files is blocked, this seems to mess up the logic of the program and it continues running consuming about 25% of the cpu. I disabled the host file blocking on first run to allow anti-beacon to manipulate the hosts file. I´m not comfortable to allow this on default. This should be just a minor bug, as mentioned in other posts. This would also explain the battery drain as this disables the stepping down features of cpus.

Now the real problem. As i understand the concept of the program, some static changes to process management and hosts file are made. I would start the program from time to time to look for updates and apply future changes to the system, temporary disabling the hosts blocker. But there is no need to have the program running the hole time or on every startup. The concerning fact is i´m not able to find out how the SDAntiBeacon.exe gets started in the first place. There is no entry in the startup programs list, so i assumed there must be a anti-beacon service starting the exe. Was not able to find a service with a anti-beacon label. This kind of shady behavior should be a no go for a security program.

I have an IT background, so i understand the need of binding a customer to program usage and avoiding making a one use, fire and forget tool. But transparency is the key to user acceptance, as it stands i couldn´t recommend this program without a second thought. Hope this behavior is just an oversight or some windows 10 issue and will be resolved in the future, because everybody should make this sneaky data collection attempts as difficult as possible. Hope this helps and keep up the good work.

Speccy86
2015-12-11, 16:16
Hi all,

On some Windows systems, an unexpected side-effect of applying the Optional 'Telemetry Hosts (extensive list)' protection may be the network connection tray icon showing up the yellow triangle and the related "No internet access" warning message, although you have network connectivity.

On affected systems, the reason for that happening is because Spybot Anti-Beacon is blocking traffic to Microsoft's online resources used as the operating system standard test to verify network connectivity (which consists of reading the 'ncsi.txt' text file, confirming its contents are the "Microsoft NCSI" string and confirming that the DNS name resolution for 'dns.msftncsi.com' returns the IP address 131.107.255.255).

Everything goes back to normal once you remove or comment out these two entries:

#0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
#0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com

(out of curiosity, iOS devices perform a similar check to https://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html)

Please note that the only reason I'm posting this (hoping that may help others facing the same issue) is because I'm unaware of those particular online resources being used by Microsoft to any other purpose than simply performing the above described "network connectivity check" test. Unlike the other available protections (such as the main Telemetry Hosts feature and the other optional entries) this doesn't really seem to fit as a privacy annoyance (collecting user data). :)

Source:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017%28WS.10%29.aspx

confuddled
2015-12-16, 11:29
Hi all,

On some Windows systems, an unexpected side-effect of applying the Optional 'Telemetry Hosts (extensive list)' protection may be the network connection tray icon showing up the yellow triangle and the related "No internet access" warning message, although you have network connectivity.

On affected systems, the reason for that happening is because Spybot Anti-Beacon is blocking traffic to Microsoft's online resources used as the operating system standard test to verify network connectivity (which consists of reading the 'ncsi.txt' text file, confirming its contents are the "Microsoft NCSI" string and confirming that the DNS name resolution for 'dns.msftncsi.com' returns the IP address 131.107.255.255).

Everything goes back to normal once you remove or comment out these two entries:

#0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
#0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com

(out of curiosity, iOS devices perform a similar check to https://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html)

Please note that the only reason I'm posting this (hoping that may help others facing the same issue) is because I'm unaware of those particular online resources being used by Microsoft to any other purpose than simply performing the above described "network connectivity check" test. Unlike the other available protections (such as the main Telemetry Hosts feature and the other optional entries) this doesn't really seem to fit as a privacy annoyance (collecting user data). :)

Source:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017%28WS.10%29.aspx

I installed this program last night and today as above, no internet access symbol although my modem was locked on and showing an IP address. I also couldn't get webpages to load or mail programs to work. What bothers me is that I've been unable to switch off the "optional" blocks, two of them will not undo. In despair I've uninstalled the program hoping it will have taken off the blocks. So far everything seems to be working again. I really dislike programs that you cannot undo what they do. Why are your optional blocks not actually optional once applied?

hmworks
2015-12-19, 07:09
Hey first big thanks for making this!
I have a problem with Windows Mail app and Anti-Beacon, I know its you have on the FAQ and on the optional tab to not block the OneDrive service.
I tought I could live without it but I got used to it and I still want to use it, but I can not undo it it always stays 1 of 2 blocked.

On the logs I got this:
[i] OneDrive Service: Unable to start service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: O servi?o especificado n?o existe como servi?o instalado.
witch translates to specified service does not exist.
What can I do to fix this?

Hello I just got the 1.5 version and applied this option without reading... :( .. Problem is Undo is not working , .. Please any suggestions ??

Thanks.

MyHouse
2015-12-20, 17:06
T elementary Hosts won't stay blocked. Once you close and reopen antibeacon, the become unblocked and have to be re-immunized. Anyone else noticing this?

leroy04
2016-01-06, 12:22
Figured it out, for some reason the Portable package features a copy of the EXE file with the wrong name, causing SpybotAntiBeaconPortable-safer-networking.org.exe to be unable to locate it. I simply renamed the relevant EXE file located at "Spybot Anti-Beacon\App\SpybotAntiBeacon" to SDCutTheLine.exe and now it's working. It was incorrectly renamed to SDAntiBeacon or some such, or alternatively someone forgot to update the Launcher EXE to recognize the name change :)

Had the same problem as Nicholas Steel with the error pop-up, reinstalling suggestion of no use.
Tracked it to the launcher ini, it directs to SDCutTheLine.exe which was correct for the previous version.
Changed the ini to "SDAntiBeacon.exe" and now running 100%
Hope that it will be corrected in the next version?

deemon
2016-01-06, 19:54
After applying the block to the Optional Telemetry Hosts (Extensive list), I noticed skype chats wouldn't update properly. I could see some updates, but several rooms wouldn't even load. In a future update, I would suggest that the Skype servers could either be excluded, or the ones that affect usage be removed from the list or included in their own category. That way, I could benefit from the additional block without loosing functionality on skype.

Once I identified what was causing my skype issues, I had to undo that block to recover skype use.

+1. Please fix this!

Since Skype isn't just "Skype" contacts, but previous Skype + previous MSN contacts, bound together, but not merged, then enabling this "Telemetry Hosts (extensive list)" effectively blocks all your contacts, that are from the MSN database and you can chat only with people with Skype native contacts. Not exactly sure about group chats functionality.

anonymous6767
2016-01-12, 13:32
Please move the download links to some real servers, currently Dropbox allows no downloads because it has been generating "too much traffic". If someone has reliable download links and hash of the original, please share.

E: hashes already available, I just saw.

Anomen341
2016-01-12, 18:59
Lost ability to use office products after running anti beacon for a week, when I tried to undo some of the optional items everything quit working and I cannot undo them. Errors in log file and will not remove block, tried system restore to earlier than install date and it did not fix the problem. Is there a fix for the optional items? I really don't want to have to re-install windows to fix this. Thanks for any and all help, have always loved the Spybot software.

anon01011970
2016-01-15, 01:02
Please move the download links to some real servers, currently Dropbox allows no downloads because it has been generating "too much traffic". If someone has reliable download links and hash of the original, please share.

E: hashes already available, I just saw.

I have the same issue.

I see the "hashes," (if by hashes, the string of text to the right of the download button), but have no idea how to use the hashes to download.

Help for a new guy?

MrH11
2016-01-15, 03:59
I'm also having trouble downloading the file due to the host :(

waypasthadenough
2016-01-16, 15:34
I installed this and it's not in the startup file. Why? Is it activated automatically each startup or do we have to each time?

wegmand
2016-01-17, 01:48
Lost ability to use office products after running anti beacon for a week, when I tried to undo some of the optional items everything quit working and I cannot undo them. Errors in log file and will not remove block, tried system restore to earlier than install date and it did not fix the problem. Is there a fix for the optional items? I really don't want to have to re-install windows to fix this. Thanks for any and all help, have always loved the Spybot software.

I have the same problem with the OneDrive Service. 1 of 2 is blocked and cannot be undone. This keeps my Windows Mail app from syncing. Furthermore, the log file shows the following error:

OneDrive Service: Unable to read status for service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.).

Also, when I try to manually start the "OneSyncSvc" service I get the following error:

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

mupet0000
2016-01-17, 19:15
File host was changed from Dropbox to Box, yet it still does not work.

wilzhere
2016-01-18, 18:27
File host was changed from Dropbox to Box, yet it still does not work.

Having same problem ...can not download from your site? :sad:

LittleMike
2016-01-18, 23:22
Great little program, HIGHLY recommended. On a similar subject, MS has decided to kill XP Mode for all OS versions above Win7. I took the free upgrade to Win10, no problems, I had a copy of VMware Workstation 8 working after the initial upgrade last month. I have a Linux x64 VM and I imported my Windows XP Mode to a VMware VM beforehand to help preserve it, and up until today that was successful.

Today, my VMware 8 causes a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screen in Windows 10. So, my surmise is that MS, my love-hate partner, has done something in the last 30 days that makes this software incompatible. It's an old version, so, fair enough.

I then downloaded a current free copy of VMware Player 12, which is purported to work with Windows 10, and voila, it works, and runs my Linux VM just fine. I got a nasty surprise when I tried to run the XP Mode VM, though. I got an error message that said, "This system is not allowed to run Windows XP Mode. The virtual machine will now power off." So, MS has done something different here, too. I don't like it. The VM log files reports that the OS told it there was no license.

It's not exactly a real-time telemetry issue, it's more of a remote finger gesture of some kind, but if you guys could figure out a workaround for that since I think it's a deliberate sabotage via upgrade, I'd be willing to pay real money for it. Still using a few really OLD programs that will only run in Win 7 32 bit mode.

Painted into a corner on this.

cheers and keep up the good work

NudeBuddha
2016-01-19, 17:44
Do I need to keep the program open in order to maintain protection? Or is it a click-and-forget sort of thing?

If the former is true, is there a way to minimize it to the tray?

petbot
2016-01-20, 14:59
Do I need to keep the program open in order to maintain protection? Or is it a click-and-forget sort of thing?

If the former is true, is there a way to minimize it to the tray?

This is my very question. This is why I came here. Will the program protect me after I hit the "close" button?

Hopefully someone will answer? :)

tashi
2016-01-20, 23:52
Hello,

"Simply clicking “Immunize” on the main screen of Anti-Beacon will immediately disable any known tracking features included by Microsoft in the operating system."

Best regards. :)

Vepar
2016-01-25, 07:51
I can run anti beacon with no errors but search in menu stops working.
You can type and words do come o screen but you can't find anything (searching for installed programs)

allue
2016-01-25, 08:11
Is this thread for SP-AB Win10 ONLY or for all versions? (Didn't find other main threads, should I create one for 7?)

How can I turn off the "re-immunize on startup" option? I have uninstalled the program and it still wants to do it and I have hosts file locked via. antivirus, so it shows an error on every startup. I want to keep using the program, but reinstalling without ticking the "startup" option and even uninstalling the program doesn't help me.

Windows 7 x64.

Vepar
2016-01-25, 08:21
If it's uninstalled it can't modify anything, that's the nature of uninstall :euro:
Look in your startup for further info (msconfig)

allue
2016-01-25, 09:41
yeah, that's what I thought, but the hosts file change error is still appearing... nor does spybot appear in startup, I've checked... (IMHO it never was there)

Vepar
2016-01-26, 08:58
yeah, that's what I thought, but the hosts file change error is still appearing... nor does spybot appear in startup, I've checked... (IMHO it never was there)

Then something else is modifying host file.
Try Sysinternal Autorun and see what is starting https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Vepar
2016-01-26, 09:02
Just tried playing with settings and found out that something here when active is blocking search in menu.
Under protection (first tab) everything is checked.
Any toughs ?

beckx
2016-01-26, 16:03

I installed the 1.5 version. Since the host file is locked, it hangs on that. Should get fixed. Then using 50% of CPU always, I uninstalled it. But it's like from hell! Won't go away. Always comes back. Finally deleted the whole folder in safe mode. But now have scvhost using 50% of cpu. I didn't have this before I installed this program.

So, I would like a cleaner program to get rid of all the things left over that are wrecking my system.

allue
2016-01-27, 00:38
Then something else is modifying host file.
Try Sysinternal Autorun and see what is starting https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Sure enough, there it was, Spybot Anti-Beacon was trying to change hosts, still.. WTF?

dave88
2016-02-01, 19:07
Sounds like it might be a good idea to stick to the portable version?

Vepar
2016-02-02, 09:49
uninstalled AntiBeacon. No support what so ever !
O&O ShutUp10 works like a charm !

eikelein
2016-02-08, 13:28
I just suggested via the Contact Support form a version of Spybot Anti-Beacon that works likewise on Wn7/8.x do disable the back ported telemetry.
I even offered to pay for such a tool.
What are your thoughts about this?
TIA
Eike

TiagoTiago
2016-02-08, 18:24
Does it need updates to keep up with new tricks by Microsoft, or in all this time they aren't trying anything new?

VileTouch
2016-02-09, 11:51
bad news: blocking Microsoft domains through Hosts file does not work.

here's some more info on it:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/431032/30/0/threaded

suggested course of action: have Anti-Beacon create firewall rules that can be imported into a 3rd party firewall or router's dnsmask (if the system bypasses the hosts file, it's most likely bypassing Windows Firewall as well, but there's no definitive proof on that afaik)

gozmon
2016-02-10, 09:36
For some reason, no matter how many times i click apply it does not listen to me and does not block
Office 16 telemetry scheduled tasks, any reasons as to why that may be and how to fix it

http://i.cubeupload.com/IokjGR.png

gozmon
2016-02-10, 09:37
For some reason, no matter how many times i click apply it does not listen to me and does not block
Office 16 telemetry scheduled tasks, any reasons as to why that may be and how to fix it

http://i.cubeupload.com/IokjGR.png

ebmgz
2016-02-10, 19:38
Hope this gets to where it needs to and it does some good.

When using anti-beacon (everything enabled and applied), the hosts file is still missing 'choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net' pointing to 0.0.0.0.

I analyzed information pulled from an Annon (http://anonhq.com/microsoft-cant-stop-windows-10-form-spying/) posting which pulled its information from Tech Worm (http://www.techworm.net/2015/11/is-officials-microsoft-says-that-it-cant-stop-windows-10-from-spying-on-you.html) and Major Geeks (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html).

You guys are doing an awesome job, keep up the good work.

mas55
2016-02-13, 03:51
I installed the last version and had everything blocked. I keep Windows Update disabled. Today I enabled it to install .NET framework 3.5 and disabled it soon after. I checked and no new update was installed. When I ran Spybot Anti-Beacon it shown 100% immunization but in the Optional tab Bing IP's was not blocked. When I pressed Apply nothing happens. Again, I had 100% immunization and everything in the Optional tab blocked before. Could somebody help me with this?

Thanks

Marco

scottbbb
2016-02-19, 22:14
I don't see Anti-Beacon on my Startup Manager list. Do I need to start it manually every time I start Windows 10? If so then every reboot allows Windows 10 to start spying on me again.

Nemzag
2016-02-24, 14:52
Hi,

i activated spybot anti‑beacon block pro all function in "protection", except "telemetry group policy" (to use windows feedback) & "apps use advertising id",
but the problem is that when we restart,
all protection block are all blocked back,

so i would like please,
that you update your tool to keep the setting that we use in "protection", before restart...

Kanth you (be & live)

PS :
If we use CAPITAL don't change it automatically to minuscule please,
I Don't like GREEK minuscule & Latin Minuscule with Hebrew shape !

Nemzag
2016-02-24, 15:21
Hi,

In Anti-beacon when you use "Show Options",
each line should have a description to explain what it block exactly.
I know that we can get information else where on web,
but it would be cool, that description to be added directly there,
or by moving mouse upon title...

Kanth you.

niftyapple
2016-02-25, 05:31
I see that in 1.3 command line parameters were added but I am not seeing much for documentation... anyone got a link to it or has it not been made public knowledge yet?

niftyapple
2016-02-25, 05:37
I see that in 1.3 command line parameters were added but I am not seeing much for documentation... anyone got a link to it or has it not been made public knowledge yet?

Cancel that. I found it after looking right at it. For those that don't know, you can find it in the help documentation.

pluviophiliac
2016-02-26, 03:55
Unsure if this has been posted before, I didn't go through all the pages, apologies if it has.

I had issues connecting to Skype properly after I installed win10 and this application. Some/Most of my Skype contacts weren't displayed as online, I also use Skype to connect to an old MSN account, none of those were showing up either. Turns out some of the entries in the host files were messing with this. After I removed the few entries, I was able to see all my contacts again.

Making this post for transparency for other users and possibly have these few entries removed from the list as they interfere with Skype's proper functioning. I wouldn't imagine these have anything to do with telemetry, even if they do, they are apparently a vital address required for Skype usage.

The source for my issue and fix is located here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Re-Skype-connection-problems-MSNP-Connection-offline/m-p/4124233
Only 4 of those 5 hosts were in my hosts files and I removed them all, issue fixed. Unsure if they're all required to be removed or if its just one or two of them that causes the issue, I didn't do testing on them.

Thank you for the great program, I love it.

Dude_Virus
2016-03-07, 05:32
I have downloaded version 1.5 however there is a strange issue which I am facing. If I immunize both the protection and the optional lists it shows I am full protected. But if I close the application and reopen it whether normally or via run as admin , it always shows the Telemetry Hosts as not being applied, same goes for the Telemetry Hosts (extensive list) under the optional tab. Even the scheduled task to run at startup although runs but seems to not apply the Telemetry protections. I have re immunize and if I close the application and reopen it is back to showing protection not applied.

I have tried portable as well as the installer/
Anyone else facing the same issue or has insight on what could be the fix for this.?

agresywny
2016-03-12, 13:21
I have a problem like @Dude_Virus , in the Protection section if I press Immunize when the Telemery Hosts are included the program stops working. The problem is also in Optional section with Telemery Hosts. When I press Apply the program stops working. I have tried portable as well as the installer version :/ Does anyone know how to solve it?

Stormforge
2016-03-13, 17:16
I also have the same problem that Dude_Virus and agresywny reported...both Telemetry Hosts (under protection tab) and Telemetry Hosts - extensive list (under optional tab) do not keep the protection after you hit the "immunize" and "block" function respectively. I'm currently running Windows 10 with 2016 Kaspersky Total Security for anti-virus and iolo's System Mechanic ver. 15.5.0.61 for PC repair (defrag, remove system clutter, etc) if this helps at all. I have installed the latest version of Spybot Anti-Beacon ver. 1.5.0.35. Thx

PepiMK
2016-03-17, 08:49
Sounds like another (security) software is "protecting" the hosts file from changes.
We might have to check on blocking these hosts through the Windows Firewall.

@pluviophiliac: Skype indeed is on the Optional Telemetry list. Might be we need to differentiate some more here and make separate entries.

@Nemzag: if you press the Show Options/Show Details button, there are these details? Please explain further.

jimh9
2016-03-21, 06:08
Need help, cant undo OneDrive Services and can't login to store. No matter what I do, reboot, uninstall, etc. I can not get the OneDrive Service to Undo. It just says 1 of 2 blocked currently and has half of the green bar flashing forever. I need to use Windows 10 store and get this to undo. Please help.

Stormforge
2016-03-22, 00:32
Sounds like another (security) software is "protecting" the hosts file from changes.
We might have to check on blocking these hosts through the Windows Firewall.

Do you have an ETA on when we can expect a fix to our reported issue? I really want to be "immunized" as soon as possible! Thanks!

jimh9
2016-03-23, 03:52
Need help, cant undo OneDrive Services and can't login to store. No matter what I do, reboot, uninstall, etc. I can not get the OneDrive Service to Undo. It just says 1 of 2 blocked currently and has half of the green bar flashing forever. I need to use Windows 10 store and get this to undo. Please help.

OK then, how can I uninstall this AND get my windows store working again? Since the UNDO OneDrive Service button doesn't undo it.

MonthOLDpickle
2016-03-24, 05:30
When it starts a pop up says something about host file and being locked - then the app goes unresponsive. How do I fix it so I can use it?

somedudde
2016-03-31, 13:34
When it starts a pop up says something about host file and being locked - then the app goes unresponsive. How do I fix it so I can use it?

There is a good chance that an anti-virus, specially if it is one of those "suites" or "bundles", is locking/preventing the application from accessing a part of the registry/scheduled task/host file/etc...
Best thing you can do is click on the "Show options" button and look at the items listed for the action, telemetry,etc..., you are having issues with and manually alter it.

jimh9
2016-04-01, 05:13
Need help, cant undo OneDrive Services and can't login to store. No matter what I do, reboot, uninstall, etc. I can not get the OneDrive Service to Undo. It just says 1 of 2 blocked currently and has half of the green bar flashing forever. I need to use Windows 10 store and get this to undo. Please help.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

somedudde
2016-04-01, 13:07
Need help, cant undo OneDrive Services and can't login to store. No matter what I do, reboot, uninstall, etc. I can not get the OneDrive Service to Undo. It just says 1 of 2 blocked currently and has half of the green bar flashing forever. I need to use Windows 10 store and get this to undo. Please help.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

There is a good chance that an anti-virus, specially if it is one of those "suites" or "bundles", is locking/preventing the application from accessing a part of the registry/scheduled task/host file/etc...
Best thing you can do is click on the "Show options" button and look at the items listed for the action, telemetry,etc..., you are having issues with and manually alter it.

Oh boy, here are a few steps for you to follow...
1. Temporarily disable your anti-virus, anti-malware, etc...
2. Run anti-beacon as an administrator...
3. Let us know what happens next...

Disclaimer time:
I give no warranties or representations concerning the free advice above, and accept no liability in relation to its use.

jimh9
2016-04-01, 16:44

Oh boy, here are a few steps for you to follow...
1. Temporarily disable your anti-virus, anti-malware, etc...
2. Run anti-beacon as an administrator...
3. Let us know what happens next...

Disclaimer time:
I give no warranties or representations concerning the free advice above, and accept no liability in relation to its use.

OK. I already have tried all that, disabling Avast anti-virus and running as administrator. There is still a few options I can NOT undo.
So I thought to REALLY not have any AV software running, I would reboot into safe mode and try there. Same thing there are a few options with
green bars that simply do nothing when you press UNDO or Undoes half the bar and windows store doesn't work. So then I uninstalled it with IObit uninstaller
using the power scan options that gets rid of any traces in registry. Then I reinstalled it as administrator in safe mode, and
STILL THE EXACT SAME THING. I CAN NOT UNDO 4 OF THE GREEN BARS!
SPECIFICALLY ON OPTIONAL TAB:
OneDrive Service undoes 1 out of 2 only
Office 15 and Office 16 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks will NOT undo at all.

So support. Please tell me how to undo OneDrive Service blocking thru registry edit or release a new version that lets you UNDO THIS! This is a SERIOUS issue, more serious than Windows 10 spying on me!! I need a fix now.

Stormforge
2016-04-08, 04:18
OK. I already have tried all that, disabling Avast anti-virus and running as administrator. There is still a few options I can NOT undo.
So I thought to REALLY not have any AV software running, I would reboot into safe mode and try there. Same thing there are a few options with
green bars that simply do nothing when you press UNDO or Undoes half the bar and windows store doesn't work. So then I uninstalled it with IObit uninstaller
using the power scan options that gets rid of any traces in registry. Then I reinstalled it as administrator in safe mode, and
STILL THE EXACT SAME THING. I CAN NOT UNDO 4 OF THE GREEN BARS!
SPECIFICALLY ON OPTIONAL TAB:
OneDrive Service undoes 1 out of 2 only
Office 15 and Office 16 Telemetry Scheduled Tasks will NOT undo at all.

So support. Please tell me how to undo OneDrive Service blocking thru registry edit or release a new version that lets you UNDO THIS! This is a SERIOUS issue, more serious than Windows 10 spying on me!! I need a fix now.

Have you tried doing a Recovery restore point prior to Spybot install? If that doesn't work, wipe your drive and reinstall Windows 10. It's faster doing that than waiting for a response.

jimh9
2016-04-08, 06:39
Have you tried doing a Recovery restore point prior to Spybot install? If that doesn't work, wipe your drive and reinstall Windows 10. It's faster doing that than waiting for a response.
No way in hell I am going to wipe it and reinstall Windows 10, it is a laptop and one of the first things I put on it was Anti-beacon, because it came with Win 10, all my other stuff is win 7. And now I have it with everything installed exactly as I like it, so not redoing everything. There must be a simple regedit SUPPORT CAN PROVIDE and answer/solve this, or update the program already so it UNDOES SETTINGS PROPERLY. Is that really too much to ask from a reputable company like Spybot?

Stormforge
2016-04-08, 18:40
I also have the same problem that Dude_Virus and agresywny reported...both Telemetry Hosts (under protection tab) and Telemetry Hosts - extensive list (under optional tab) do not keep the protection after you hit the "immunize" and "block" function respectively. I'm currently running Windows 10 with 2016 Kaspersky Total Security for anti-virus and iolo's System Mechanic ver. 15.5.0.61 for PC repair (defrag, remove system clutter, etc) if this helps at all. I have installed the latest version of Spybot Anti-Beacon ver. 1.5.0.35. Thx

Update:
I uninstalled System Mechanic, as it seems to interfere with Kaspersky anti-virus update (Kaspersky is always asking me to reboot the computer). With SM removed, Kaspersky works fine and so does Spybot. I'm fully immunized and (touch wood) it seems to stay that way. I'll report back in a couple of weeks to confirm immunization and report any issues.

madmudmob
2016-04-21, 23:10
I have just downloaded and installed this (the installer version) after it was recommended on the Windows 7 Forum. Reading the home page it seems to infer it works with Windows 7 which is what I have (Home Premium).

I downloaded it from here:

I have installed it and immunised but am now confused as I don't see it in my list of Start Ups in CCleaner nor is it in the Task Manager once I have restarted my pc or used the program's Close button.

Am I being dumb ... is it perhaps a program I have to open myself whenever I want to check the immunization or am I going wrong somewhere as I assumed it would be always running in the background http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/madmudmob/AVATARS%20ETC/icon_question_zpstyd2xrm9.gif

Any help or advice gratefully received please.

MrBigglesworth
2016-04-22, 11:15
I just downloaded 'SpybotAntiBeacon-1.5-setup.exe' from here (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55).

Used HashTab v5.2.0, HashMyFiles v2.18 (and our own internally coded tool) to verify the CRC32. They all list the CRC32 as: E18175D5 , however the above page lists it as: 5D17181E

The MD5 hash of 63C2CF7B61D29D7664BFA55D33EDA510 and the SHA-1 hash of 2F35861CF3D2A69669B89214502D1FC769EE10E2 do match though.

Yes, I know CRC32 is ancient, and even MD5 and SHA1 are old and unsuitable for modern-day hashing :)

How about a GnuPG signature too?

maelstrm
2016-04-23, 15:25
Hi All,

I've noticed that the HOSTS lines from Spybot are breaking Skype functionality - particularly multi-user calls.

Here's a thread on the MS discussion forum covering the effect on the hosts file:

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Re-Skype-connection-problems-MSNP-Connection-offline/td-p/4124233

One or more of these items appears to be causing the issue:
0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com

Commenting these lines out and restarting skype seems to fix the issue.

Can the Beacon support team identify which lines need to be reviewed and removed / modified to keep Skype working? Not sure if this is the right place to raise it or not.

WhoCaresA
2016-04-23, 15:43
I have been using anti beacon happily since caving to M$'s pressure to upgrade to Windows 10. While it had been working well up to this point, today I noticed Cortana running in task manager, despite it being shown as 'all blocked' in the SA-B. SearchUI.exe shows being updated on 4/1/16, perhaps a recent update has managed to bypass the block?

Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

dark9
2016-04-26, 14:26
A must have feature in Spybot Anti-Beacon is "Limit Reservable Bandwidth to 0%"

To stop W10 from reserving your bandwidth for itself for whatever purposes whenever it wants to, run gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler > Limit Reservable Bandwidth. Enable it and set to 0%. The default is not configured in other words set to 80%. Older windows has it set to 20% by default. Why would MS set it to 80% by default in W10? Everyone missed this i think.

dark9
2016-04-29, 10:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEFnC0ku5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZeMKbb6hXA
After applying Spybot Anti-Beacon, MS is still hooking up to various servers, make sure you install Peerblock and add MS to block list. Watch above videos.

maelstrm
2016-05-01, 13:28
Hi All,

I've noticed that the HOSTS lines from Spybot are breaking Skype functionality - particularly multi-user calls.

Here's a thread on the MS discussion forum covering the effect on the hosts file:

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Re-Skype-connection-problems-MSNP-Connection-offline/td-p/4124233

One or more of these items appears to be causing the issue:
0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com

Commenting these lines out and restarting skype seems to fix the issue.

Can the Beacon support team identify which lines need to be reviewed and removed / modified to keep Skype working? Not sure if this is the right place to raise it or not.

Further to this, the Hosts blocks appear to be breaking other Win10 functionality.
* Network Adapter shows "No Internet Connection"
* Win10 Store app has been having issues
* Account Settings components are broken - "Sync Your Settings" and "Family & other users"

I tried a number of different things to try and fix these (different DNS servers, upgrading NIC drivers, changing from DHCP to static IPs, etc). None of them worked, but removing the Spybot Anti-Beacon lines from HOSTS completely fixed all of them.

I'd like to request that the maintenance/dev team (if there is one) review the HOSTS lines and test for unwanted side effects, and fix them. It's a bit worrying how many users appear to have broken Skype clients for example (if you search on the error terms from my previous post).

dave88
2016-05-04, 02:16
Further to this, the Hosts blocks appear to be breaking other Win10 functionality.
* Network Adapter shows "No Internet Connection"
* Win10 Store app has been having issues
* Account Settings components are broken - "Sync Your Settings" and "Family & other users"

If you want lots of Win10 net functionality, app store, synch, etc. This program might not be for you? As those things are intertwined with "telemetry". At the least, you should probably not use either of the "Telemetry Hosts" settings.

jimh9
2016-05-06, 02:13
I want to uninstall this and have my Windows 10 store back. The UNDO feature does not work, it just half undoes things or not at all and I can not use the store. So after uninstalling, what do I edit exactly in the registry to get win 10 store back?

dave88
2016-05-06, 03:21
Do you have other security software that is interfering with it's function? It seems that is the cause of a lot of peoples problems.

I would try running it without other security software that may be interfering. Then I would try running it as administrator, right click the exe and select "run as administrator". Finally, if that did not work I would try running it in safe mode.

Good Luck

wolfgang
2016-05-11, 14:21
Can i use Anti-Beacon together with Windows 7 SP 1 ?

dave88
2016-05-12, 01:28
Yes, it works great in Windows 7 SP1. I recommend the portable version. There is no need to install as all it really does is completely turn off CEIP (customer experience improvement program) and related scheduled tasks, turn off telemetry group policy, and add MS telemetry urls to the hosts file. Optionally it will also turn off remote registry, and Office telemetry functions / scheduled tasks.

It's a great little tool to reduce MS snooping. On Windows 7 I use it in addition to GWX Control panel, which is a handy tool to prevent unwanted forced windows 10 upgrades.
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/

dark9
2016-05-23, 08:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoSg3fSB7PA

Not all spying is gone with Spybot Anti-Beacon. MS still connects to the servers every few minutes. This needs to be fixed asap.
W10 automatically connects not only MS but also to Amazon, Comodo, Audodesk, EdgeCast, Highwinds Network, Cloudflare, etc. WTF.
Install Peerblock and see all the connections happening live without you doing anything, no such suspicious shit on Win XP.
So either someone should revamp Win XP 64-bit so it can work on new machines or we all migrate to Linux Zorin, Mint or Ubuntu.

tashi
2016-05-23, 18:54
Hello dark9,

So either someone should revamp Win XP 64-bit so it can work on new machines or we all migrate to Linux Zorin, Mint or Ubuntu.

Microsoft: Infection rates and end of support for Windows XP

(https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?425-UPDATED-WINDOWS-Your-first-line-of-defense&p=446431&viewfull=1#post446431)Windows XP - The Elephant In The Room (http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=630064#p630064)
(Note: This thread updated in May 2016)

Best regards.

dark9
2016-05-24, 17:35
I know MS has terminated support of Win XP, i meant someone other than MS making a fan-made version Win Xp with everything rebuilt but nevermind.

Migrating to Linux is the best option, just requires one to learn basics on how to use Terminal and you are pretty much set to use Linux as your main OS. :)

dqj999
2016-06-02, 16:53
On my Win 10 installation, TCPVIEW shows an https connection to msnbot-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.search.msn.com

This socket cannot be closed and if you disconnect and re-connect the LAN it comes back a few seconds later.

Should Spybot Anti-Beacon stop this, but if not how do you stop it setting up?

dqj999
2016-06-02, 17:52
On my Win 10 installation, TCPVIEW shows an https connection to msnbot-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.search.msn.com

This socket cannot be closed and if you disconnect and re-connect the LAN it comes back a few seconds later.

Should Spybot Anti-Beacon stop this, but if not how do you stop it setting up?

For your info:

I've now stopped these connections by adding a custom firewall rule in Windows Firewall. It drops any attempted connection to any of the msnbot addresses.

Insurrection211
2016-06-04, 03:22
Recently Windows 10 has been using practically ALL of my bandwidth for something. I originally thought i had malware so i used a few programs to check for viruses, malware, etc. but it was the OS using all of my bandwidth. this program brought host process for windows services down to 30KB from 20MB (according to glasswire).

I have donated because of this and plan to donate some more next week.

(I wasn't really sure where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place :p)

dgreen2298
2016-06-05, 00:50
Guys the extreme CPU usage is to do with it not playing well with some Anti viruses. I recently noticed my CPU sitting at 45% while doing nothing at all just after i installed Webroot anti virus.

Uninstalled it and back to using win defender, (which ain't a bad package teamed up with MalwareBytes) and CPU is back to 1 to 4 % while at idle. so thats defiantly the problem.

Ive explained to Webroot the problem, but i guess its Spyware Anti-Beacon, but its such a good program i wasn't willing to uninstall that (f(*&(ing Microsoft and there spyware.

Hope this helps a few people and clears a few things up but that was my experience.
Dan :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

FlexiPack
2016-06-09, 20:12
Hi all,

Just found out about Anti-beacon after watching youtuber Barnacules' video about it. Is the program is still being updated? I noticed it's not been updated since October and there have of course been Windows 10 updates since then so I just wanted to check that it is still able to block all the potential privacy holes in Window 10?

dave88
2016-06-10, 00:16
I just wanted to check that it is still able to block all the potential privacy holes in Window 10?

Nothing can block all the potential privacy holes in Windows 10.

Jimlite
2016-06-10, 01:23
Seriously SPYBOT, can you please comment and fix this problem. No matter what you do, try to undo setting, uninstall software, reinstall Anti-Beacon, etc. Some settings will simply NEVER undo, and hence made Windows 10 store NOT USEABLE AT ALL. Can you fix your bugs, release a new version, or at the fucking least give instructions on what to regedit to get rid of this shit software and allow us to log into windows store again? I've only been asking for 3 months now!

dark9
2016-06-11, 17:14
I just wanted to check that it is still able to block all the potential privacy holes in Window 10?

Nothing can block all the potential privacy holes in Windows 10.

But you can stop W10 from spying on you by monitoring/blocking with Glasswire and Peerblock, take full control of your Network and only allow your computer to connect to what you want it to.

ache666
2016-06-12, 21:40
Spybot Anti-Beacon 1.5 does not remember its options across program restart, please fix.

MeMyself
2016-06-13, 18:27
I tried it in Win7 and got two remarks about entries found in the hosts file - but not what the entry is.
How do I get to know what it is???

Nu user help ... What happens if I click "Apply" under "Optional? Does it change something in "hosts"?

How can I revert changes, if I want to?

What about updates I should not have?

Thx for replies

MeMyself
2016-06-13, 19:03
I only now discovered that Anti-Beaon has its own section...

I tried it in Win7 and got two remarks about entries found in the hosts file - but not what the entry is.
How do I get to know what it is???

Nu user help ... What happens if I click "Apply" under "Optional? Does it change something in "hosts"?

How can I revert changes, if I want to?

What about updates I should not have?

Thx for replies

Quolh
2016-06-13, 20:42
[QUOTE=PepiMK;465779]Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10.

Have just downloaded and installed this. Running W10 x64 Home. Every time I run it it hangs at 2% protected 1 of 53.

In the log is this:

[i] Telemetry Hosts: 0 entries found in hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
[.] (TWindows10TelemetryHostsImmunization)
[i] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): 0 entries found in hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
[.] (TWindows10TelemetryHostsOptionalImmunization)
[-] EOleException: TWindowsFirewall.BlockExists
[i] OneDrive Service: Unable to read status for service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
).
[.] (TWindows10OneDriveServicesImmunization)

What gives please...?

2016-06-15, 01:57
After I enable everything/immunize do I have to keep the program open? Or can I simply close it?

nickW
2016-06-15, 18:49
Hello,

The French translation is ready since 2016-04-10.

Why isn't it in the "supported languages"?

Cheers.

sykotik
2016-06-16, 10:57
hi all,
just signed up and looking for some advice/answers... please

lately my laptop has been over heating sitting at about 66-70c (150f) , and couldn't figure out why , until i look in the task manager and noticed that anti sypbot beacon was using loads of my cpu @about 70%
now this could be related or not ,
but my laptop was over heating , so i un-installed anti spybot beacon and noticed straight away the temp drop down to about 38c (100f)
i cleaned out all of files using ccleaner after uninstalling it , re-installed it again and it seemed to cure the over heating problem ,

but i had an update for windows 10 yesterday and now (12 hours later) anti spybot beacon is again using a lot of my cpu @30% and it's over heating again ,

this isn't just happing on my laptop it's also doing the same thing on my HTPC ( using loads of cpu and high temps )
but the strange thing is it's not on my gaming PC ,

both PC's, gaming and htpc as well as the laptop are all running windows 10 .

does any one have any ideas on what could be happing with spybot beacon
Thank you

Peaky
2016-06-21, 01:38
So I have been having a few problems with Skype after installing and executing Spybot Anti-Beacon. I blocked all connections in both tabs thinking that it would be a great idea.

It turns out that Skype requires a running and updated version on Internet Explorer to function properly (like sending pictures and videos through chat). It also turns out that Bing is part of internet explorer and that it requires a certain amount of both to function properly on Windows 10.
I blatantly disabled Bing in the Optional tab as i didn't think i had any use for it... turns out i do if i want to use Skype.

Anyways - point being is that if you are having troubles accessing Skype Home or cant send pictures or videos though chat, check Anti-Beacon to see if you blocked Bing.

Thast is all :)

j Man
2016-06-21, 22:44
Hey Guys,

Thanks for creating this tool for us to use, really appreciate it :).

There is one thing that i have noticed that is wrong with it though, it is unable to block the telemetry.

Your process of blocking it was probably blocked in a windows update, i know this becuase when i go into safe mode it is able to block it, however, in regular windows, it goes to a not responding state.

I have gone through all of the other blocking features and they work great with no problems, telemetry is the only one that windows blocks from working.

Thanks,
Jeremy

vBDKv
2016-07-13, 00:44
Windows 10 updated today, and as per usual I checked SAB.
Apparently bing ip's cannot be blocked anymore. I've clicked the button some 20 times without anything happening.

Silly Microsoft :(

Lone Browncoat
2016-07-17, 09:52
Do you have other security software that is interfering with it's function? It seems that is the cause of a lot of peoples problems.

I would try running it without other security software that may be interfering. Then I would try running it as administrator, right click the exe and select "run as administrator". Finally, if that did not work I would try running it in safe mode.

Good Luck

I run "TinyWall" over and above the Windows Defender, to make immunization complete I had to UNcheck "Prevent modifications to hosts file" , run immunize in both S&D and Anti-Beacon, then REcheck that box in
TinyWall AFTER full immunization. Your Firewall may have a different designation.

prg2002
2016-07-27, 19:15
All settings except telemetry extensive hosts worked, but when I try to apply changes app crashes

Oblaque
2016-08-01, 23:19
Hey guys,

Just a quick question, do I have to leave Spybot anti-beacon minimized or can I close it while still having the immunizations running?

CarbonBasedLifeform
2016-08-02, 12:06
Hi,
I did download and exec spybot anti-beacon for win 10 yesterday, and I did notice Skype & Video app (attached screenshot) doesnt work since.

This isnt the skype Desktop app, its the skype Video app integrated in Windows 10. I prefer using this as its completely integrated in the system, and its sufficient for my uses of skype calling.

Is there a method of unblocking this and this alone. ? Kindly help me with it.

I did check the Hosts file in .. drivers/etc/hosts , but has no mention of skype in that. So something else is blocking it.

theohall
2016-08-02, 13:36
Does this disable WUDU - the thing which users your bandwidth without your permission to help Microsoft download stuff to other people.

rapperman
2016-08-03, 01:28
After applying today's Anniversary update, Telemetry Hosts (under both the Protection and Optional tabs) are refusing to remain blocked. I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled the product but the problem remains. Any ideas?

jackthesmack
2016-08-03, 11:33
After applying today's Anniversary update, Telemetry Hosts (under both the Protection and Optional tabs) are refusing to remain blocked. I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled the product but the problem remains. Any ideas?

The anniversary edition made some changes to the group policy to reduce user control. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the ability to disable telemetry.

Or they just moved it/renamed it so the changes made by this program wont work until it's updated.

LinuxMasterRace
2016-08-03, 16:46
Is Anti-Beacon no longer being updated?

Kalinin
2016-08-03, 22:56
I'm on Win 10 Pro, after update Anti Beacon still worked fine here (at least it says it works), only had to stop Cortana by myself delenting a ton of registry entries (don't ask me which ones, I just deleted a lot of them and stoped after getting tired lol). I think I went too far tho, can't type on the Start menu to get my programs quick anymore, but I can live with that

rapperman
2016-08-04, 00:18
I'm on Win 10 Pro, after update Anti Beacon still worked fine here (at least it says it works), only had to stop Cortana by myself delenting a ton of registry entries (don't ask me which ones, I just deleted a lot of them and stoped after getting tired lol). I think I went too far tho, can't type on the Start menu to get my programs quick anymore, but I can live with that

After the update Anti-Beacon required the system to be re-immunized. That went without a hitch. But you will likely notice after a bit of time that reopening Anti-Beacon will reveal that the telemetry sections need to be reapplied. Everything else sticks.

It sounds as tho you've managed to completely disable Cortana. On my system, doing so resulted in the same behavior with the search box.

Sonicpromo
2016-08-04, 03:40
Is Anti-Beacon no longer being updated?

Same question to dev's. Last update was almost 1 year ago? Can you guys please explain?

LinuxMasterRace
2016-08-04, 15:30
Same question to dev's. Last update was almost 1 year ago? Can you guys please explain?
Hope I don't get banned for posting this, but I've been using Win10Privacy. It's way more comprehensive, and just recently updated for Anniversary update.

http://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

Jimlite
2016-08-06, 04:18
Hello Devs,
It bewilders me that you come out with the first and supposedly best Wind 10 anti-spyware/telemetry/privacy app, and then you never update or support it? I mean windows 10 Anniversary update is already out and people want their privacy back and Cortana blocked. Do you have any plans on updating the software or should we go to another companies solution?
Thanks

PepiMK
2016-08-09, 15:35
We've actually been working on it, but merged into the new user interface from Spybot 3, so it kind of dangled around depending on Spybot 3. I'll talk to the others about getting an update unrelated to Spybot 3 :)

SimonM
2016-08-09, 18:31
I too would love to see the free Anti-Beacon tier maintained.

I'm happy to donate but I don't need AV, I just want a non-leaky OS.

The price of privacy is eternal vigilance!

pall66
2016-08-12, 17:37
Dear PepiMK, I payed for this program and I like it. However, it should be possible to start this program as a service.
Now, I have to start it manually myself each day. I checked the parameters, but I don't find a way to let it start by itself.

LordOfMelons
2016-08-13, 16:52
I have the same problem with the OneDrive Service. 1 of 2 is blocked and cannot be undone. This keeps my Windows Mail app from syncing. Furthermore, the log file shows the following error:

OneDrive Service: Unable to read status for service "OneSyncSvc_Session1" (error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.).

Also, when I try to manually start the "OneSyncSvc" service I get the following error:

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Did you find a solution?

SeaBird
2016-08-16, 19:48
Did you find a solution?

Hi LordOfMellons,

I'm getting the exact message in the log file. Furthermore, I can't completely undo the OneDrive Service. There are 2 Services running, and I am only able to Undo one of them. I am unable to Sync OneDrive as well, and I suspect that the Error you quoted is the cause. I could only Undo one of the two Services, and yes, I Rebooted after the Undo attempt.

I also tried reinstalling over the old installation and deselected the check box that auto-runs the program on startup, but no joy.

What say Admin? Any help, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. IMHO, It's a great program except for that single issue, and I realize that it may not be the program itself, particularly since there only two of us experiencing the problem.

TIA,
SeaBird
(Michael Knapp)

Verkt
2016-08-17, 03:22
First, great job guys ! I use spybot for many years

I saw in precedent posts that some people had problems too.

If i put all options of SpybotA-B ON, skype seems to be great but :

- when i send a message, it seems to be not instant but a little loading appears with circle
- when a friend tries to send me a file, i receive nothing, no alert, just nothing
- when i try to send a file, it sends very quickly, then it marked as done but in reality, my friend has received nothing, no file, no alert

can you identify what fails and make a patch ? hosts maybe as said page 14 ?

SeaBird
2016-08-17, 10:29
We've actually been working on it, but merged into the new user interface from Spybot 3, so it kind of dangled around depending on Spybot 3. I'll talk to the others about getting an update unrelated to Spybot 3 :)

Fantastic... Please keep us posted on your progress!!

santino
2016-08-17, 23:20
Hi there,
thanks for Spybot Anti-Beacon, it's a very useful program, as is all the software from Safer-Networking that I've used.

I'd like to report a problem with the portable version of Anti-Beacon. The /silent parameter doesn't do anything. At first I though the command line was disabled for the portable version but /apply does indeed work; so it's something else. Would you mind fixing it and publishing an up to date version for the Anniversary Update of Windows 10?
Thanks anyway.
Cheers.

yul2000
2016-08-18, 04:03
Hello, how to allow Windows update while using Anti Beacon?

It's currently not working. I tried going in the Windows Catalog with Edge and it's not working also.

I cannot download the updates directly from Ms so I guess (well certain I would say) the Telemetry has something to do with it.

Do I need to disable Anti Beacon for the updates?

Thanks!

yul2000
2016-08-19, 21:30
Hello, how to allow Windows update while using Anti Beacon?

It's currently not working. I tried going in the Windows Catalog with Edge and it's not working also.

I cannot download the updates directly from Ms so I guess (well certain I would say) the Telemetry has something to do with it.

Do I need to disable Anti Beacon for the updates?

Thanks!

Ok so after researching Windows Update won'T work with Anti Beacon. Is the solution to disable it when doing the updates? It looks like Ms is injecting workarounds through the updates I have posted another post about it not sure if the battle can be fought at this point? Thanks

kradden
2016-08-24, 17:54
Hello, I'm not sure if this has been answered or not before but I immunized my system and I noticed that I couldn't send/receive files on skype afterwards. When I undid it I could. I'm trying to figure out which of the parameters control skype's file sharing and if possible, if there's a way around to keep that immunization on while being able to share file. Thanks for replying!

Verkt
2016-08-25, 03:36
if you read up my precedent post, you see you are not alone
someone gave us a track page 14

the guilty is in the hosts file :

just delete this line and cut skype, launch again : fixed !

tmorris52
2016-08-25, 10:19
Thank you so much. I have tears in my eyes. Microsoft has gone way beyond with this tracking and put it into all the current versions. I have 40 years in computers and am disgusted by the GWX effort and all the tracking. These systems are my software builds. Bought and paid for. How dare Microsoft or anyone mess with my systems!!! I will help you in any way I can. Just ask!!!

I am testing on three platforms now.

Timothy C. Morris, MCNE

Choose one:

Download latest stand-alone (just the executable, not localized) (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=58)

kradden
2016-08-26, 04:05
if you read up my precedent post, you see you are not alone
someone gave us a track page 14

the guilty is in the hosts file :

just delete this line and cut skype, launch again : fixed !

Thank you!

Gamicks
2016-08-27, 15:48
Hi, and apologies if this has been brought up before.
Since installing Anti-Beacon V1.5 I found that when I tried to rip CDs using Windows Media Player and clicked on "Get Album Info", instead of getting all the album info, a window opened saying "Unable to display http://redir.metaservices.microsoft.com. After playing around with the Anti-Beacon options, I found that disabling the immunization on "Telemetry Hosts" solved the problem. Is there a work around for this problem or do I have to forgo immunization of "Telemetry Hosts" to allow access to the fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com database.

Steve

Xboy1999
2016-09-08, 05:13
So I have a problem and I need some help. I've been using this program on my new Win10 Laptop for the past week, but I've come to find out I can't download apps or play certain games when all is immunized. I've disabled some of the Telemetry Hosts and it helped a bit, but I still can't download apps. When I try to undo the immunization on all the Telemetry Hosts it freezes the program, I thought maybe leaving it for a while would fix it but it didn't. The Hosts may not be the problem if you guys have had trouble with this and have found a solution please let me know! Thanks! :)

TiagoTiago
2016-09-12, 04:23
Is it just for Win10? Has it always been that way? Do you got a suggestion of something to keep me safe from telemetry and other malware stuff being sneaked thru Windows Update on Win7?

TiagoTiago
2016-09-12, 20:21
Sorry for the first bit, somehow I missed the "supported OS" thing.

So let me reformulate my other question: Is this enough to keep my system safe from MS spyware, and the other malware stuff they've been sneaking on Windows Update, or do I still need to be careful with which updates I install?

yul2000
2016-09-12, 21:01
Sorry for the first bit, somehow I missed the "supported OS" thing.

So let me reformulate my other question: Is this enough to keep my system safe from MS spyware, and the other malware stuff they've been sneaking on Windows Update, or do I still need to be careful with which updates I install?

Hell I can't use Windows update anymore in my case. Anyways, the latest anniversary edition looks like it brought some new tracking changes and don't know if Anti Beacon can handle it.

The answers on this forum are very few it's a bit discouraging. Cheers

TiagoTiago
2016-09-12, 22:19
Meanwhile, I found this: https://voat.co/v/Ancile

Seems promising; well, at least until MS switches WU to cumulative mode.

teste5050
2016-09-14, 13:55
I've tried undoing all Anti-Beacon settings, but these two from the Optional settings you see in the attachment don't seem to be working. I click "undo" and nothing happens. Could you please help?

Hammer23
2016-09-16, 21:34
Hey, I just got windows 10 and Spybot anti-beacon installer 1.5.0.35. When I try having the program do anything with the Telemetry Hosts, it stops responding. I have tried restarting my computer to see if I might of had something running in the background that was using the file its trying to change but still does the same thing.

So, I went to where the ect folder and opened hosts in notepad and entered the list of sites/addresses to reroute to 0.0.0.0 but when I try to save the file it wont let me. Which brings me here now hoping someone else is able to help me with this issue.

Verkt
2016-09-19, 10:55
Hey, I just got windows 10 and Spybot anti-beacon installer 1.5.0.35. When I try having the program do anything with the Telemetry Hosts, it stops responding. I have tried restarting my computer to see if I might of had something running in the background that was using the file its trying to change but still does the same thing.

So, I went to where the ect folder and opened hosts in notepad and entered the list of sites/addresses to reroute to 0.0.0.0 but when I try to save the file it wont let me. Which brings me here now hoping someone else is able to help me with this issue.

the file hosts is in "read only" mode
untick read only to save, then tick it again

puertasdecielo
2016-09-21, 00:15
Does Spybot Anti beacon have to be open for it to be working? Do I have to actually start it for it to work?

Hammer23
2016-09-23, 08:02
the file hosts is in "read only" mode
untick read only to save, then tick it again

That doesnt work either, I even copied the file then made the changes and tried to replace the old unchanged file but then tells me I dont have the permissions to do so even though my account is the only admin account on the computer.

Verkt
2016-09-23, 11:25
That doesnt work either, I even copied the file then made the changes and tried to replace the old unchanged file but then tells me I dont have the permissions to do so even though my account is the only admin account on the computer.

and spybot is able to change it ?! if you cancel host tweak in spybot it resets the file ?
may be a problem account but if spybot can do it and you not....

Verkt
2016-09-23, 11:26
Does Spybot Anti beacon have to be open for it to be working? Do I have to actually start it for it to work?

No, just launch one time

bang4buck
2016-09-26, 19:37
Is there an ETA for Anniversary-Update-ready Anti-Beacon? I can't update my Win10 without Anti-Beacon!

oaooao
2016-09-26, 20:14
I am unable to minimize Anti-Beacon to Windows tray.

I have tried 3 different traying programs and A-B is the only one that refuses to tray.
Any idea why and is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Verkt
2016-09-27, 12:02
- not updated
- no need ton keep in memory
- still the problem with skype temporary resolved by non-apply hosts' list or deleting line about "gateway...." in hosts
- O&O shutup 10 complete well SBAB and is "anniversary-Update-ready"

oaooao
2016-09-28, 00:50
- not updated
- no need ton keep in memory
- still the problem with skype temporary resolved by non-apply hosts' list or deleting line about "gateway...." in hosts
- O&O shutup 10 complete well SBAB and is "anniversary-Update-ready"

I am using AB in W7 (ShutUP in W10).

None of the reasons you quote seems to justify the drawback of inability to traymin. The open button takes too much space on the task bar and I prefer it to take space in memory rather than there. All programs do that, so particularly one that just runs in the background should.

dark9
2016-09-28, 21:39
I am using AB in W7 (ShutUP in W10).

None of the reasons you quote seems to justify the drawback of inability to traymin. The open button takes too much space on the task bar and I prefer it to take space in memory rather than there. All programs do that, so particularly one that just runs in the background should.

ShutUP 10 sneaks up opencandy adware on the system.

oaooao
2016-09-28, 22:20

Thanks for the info. The question is what is worse: MS telemetry or ShutUp10 adware.

Had I had minimal trust in MS I would have said at least telemetry can help improve Windows, but I don't have it.

Does A-B work in W10?

santino
2016-09-29, 18:48

Lies don't help anyone.

Jotti (0/19) - http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/3jifo8839i
MetaDefender (0/42) - http://www.metadefender.com/#!/results/file/dbb4f283f06d45cdb37c0f27640c7d6e/regular/analysis
VirusTotal (0/55) - http://www.virustotal.com/en/file/33e4560798d9ce8670a4a1082d19a78781cf4a597723a085e76594a6a8ec3440/analysis/

oaooao
2016-09-29, 19:59
Lies don't help anyone.

MetaDefender (0/42) - http://www.metadefender.com/#!/results/file/dbb4f283f06d45cdb37c0f27640c7d6e/regular/analysis
VirusTotal (0/55) - http://www.virustotal.com/en/file/33e4560798d9ce8670a4a1082d19a78781cf4a597723a085e76594a6a8ec3440/analysis/

What does this mean?

m9222
2016-09-30, 03:23
Did anyone find a fix for the OneDrive Service undo bug? I cannot undo it and I've seen other people that had this problem on this thread. This is extremely annoying, I literally can't sign in into any app: Mail, Calendar, Xbox, Windows Store.

Jimlite
2016-10-01, 05:30
Lies don't help anyone.

OO shutup does not install itself or any open candy. But what we really need is a program that is constantly updated, NOT Spybot Anti-beacon which is NEVER updated. At least OO shutup is update fairly regularly. Not that any of this really matters as google and bing (microsoft) know everything about you anyways.

Caliburn
2016-10-05, 22:02
Did anyone find a fix for the OneDrive Service undo bug? I cannot undo it and I've seen other people that had this problem on this thread. This is extremely annoying, I literally can't sign in into any app: Mail, Calendar, Xbox, Windows Store.

I'm having this same issue. I can't undo the OneDrive Service. Now I can't access OneDrive or download and install any app in Microsoft Store. I also have telemetry hosts that are blocked that I can't undo.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Jeff

dark9
2016-10-07, 23:08
Lies don't help anyone.

It does sneaks up opencandy. Antiviruses don't detect it for whatever reasons. I reinstalled W10 to remove that adware. I didn't know i had that adware until i checked in Kaspersky firewall as it was listed there along with other normal applications. Shutup10 is good and the adware may not be a threat but i don't like it sneaking adware.

Hammer23
2016-10-09, 01:50
and spybot is able to change it ?! if you cancel host tweak in spybot it resets the file ?
may be a problem account but if spybot can do it and you not....

No, spybot stops responding when I have it try to run the changes it should do to the host file, I just tried to save over the host file on my laptop that has windows 7 and still unable to even though the user account is admin. I have no clue why.

Hammer23
2016-10-09, 02:40
No, spybot stops responding when I have it try to run the changes it should do to the host file, I just tried to save over the host file on my laptop that has windows 7 and still unable to even though the user account is admin. I have no clue why.

To add onto that, I have tried using hostsman and it is also unable to save over the file as well. SO I think they made an update to the file so that its harder for users to edit the file.

dark9
2016-10-12, 17:17
To add onto that, I have tried using hostsman and it is also unable to save over the file as well. SO I think they made an update to the file so that its harder for users to edit the file.

Try setting permissions to full access from hosts file properties and try temporarily disable antivirus. If that doesn't work just boot using live cd and edit the hosts file.

Solarsails
2016-10-14, 03:16
I'm planning on taking a few hours to "lock-down" Windows 2016 server; since Windows 2016 is a little more than a glorified version of Windows 10 would there be any useful results in running Anti-Beacon against Windows 2016 server? I'm not very confident that it would be of any use, but thought I'd just put the question out there. Thanks in advance and best regards...

Solarsails
2016-10-14, 03:27

The hosts file can get fairly large if populated with many entries and I've found that this can cause slow internet response times and also issues with "slowness" for programs that may access hosts... Also some antivirus / firewall programs lock down the hosts file (spybot can do this as well). Perhaps google to see if your antivirus is one of those that lock hosts file. Just for kicks check to see if you have spybot locking it. Also, in the past I have run into issues with spybot taking long periods to do some file operations on certain PC's with certain operating systems= walk away from it and give it a few hours on its own if you have to leave it over-night to see if it will complete the operation you are attempting.

santino
2016-10-16, 18:42
The hosts file can get fairly large if populated with many entries and I've found that this can cause slow internet response times and also issues with "slowness" for programs that may access hosts... Also some antivirus / firewall programs lock down the hosts file (spybot can do this as well). Perhaps google to see if your antivirus is one of those that lock hosts file. Just for kicks check to see if you have spybot locking it. Also, in the past I have run into issues with spybot taking long periods to do some file operations on certain PC's with certain operating systems= walk away from it and give it a few hours on its own if you have to leave it over-night to see if it will complete the operation you are attempting.

To avoid problems on internet while using large HOSTS file (bigger than 100 KB) there's a known workaround that is to set the Windows DNS client service ("Dnscache") on manual/disabled.

J_C_2016
2016-10-19, 20:40
Hello Spybot team and members,

I'm new to using this program so, for that excuse my ignorance.

None the less, I have a few questions if you could be so kind to answer.

When I initially installed the Spybot Anit-Beacon 1.5 program onto my laptop, I did notice heavy CPU usage from 25%-40% at times. I did see in my Task Manager that Spybot was the cause. This CPU usage depleted my battery quite quickly.
Now, I did read other comments and posts done by members regarding this issue and to clarify I am running Webroot Anti-virus which I've heard is the contributor to the CPU usage because the two programs don't mesh well together (correct me if I'm wrong with that statement).I did notice when I was observing the Task Manager that Spybot was a running program in the background to be on-going protection. Now, in saying all this, I've recently noticed while having the Task Manager open Spybot is no longer a running in the background column? Has something changed? Did I do something incorrectly? I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.
When I run the program, it's stating that I have a 100% protection.

Second, I have also noticed that under the optional tab for protection the Office 16(2016) Telemetry Scheduled Tasks will not activate when I press apply.
I do disable my Webroot Anti-virus when making changes to Spybot since I won't enable otherwise.
Thoughts?

Thank you, Spybot team and members for the time and effort!

I'm looking forward to your response.

AndersHass
2016-10-27, 10:06
I have trouble getting achievements unlocked on Windows 10 and I have seen it might be because of telemetry blocks, so I try and undo that but then Spybot Anti-Beacon just stop responding. I have also tried and uninstall and then re-install but then it just starts blocking everything immediately.

wolfie138
2016-10-30, 12:31
HI,
as the title - anti-beacon has set the host add for redir.metaservices to 0.0.0 so i can't get album info, how do i turn it back on?

TIA

santino
2016-11-01, 23:17
HI,
as the title - anti-beacon has set the host add for redir.metaservices to 0.0.0 so i can't get album info, how do i turn it back on?

TIA

Find your HOSTS file

usually in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc
Make sure that it's not set as read only.
Edit the file and remove the line that contains the host that you don't want to be blocked.
Wait some minutes or reboot the system, so the changes get applied.

BTW, Spybot people: I'm getting pretty pissed about sites like this that logout the user after a couple of minutes. Not funny at all.

MrToad
2016-11-02, 14:23
I have installed [Oct 2016] Anti-Beacon on 8 Windows 7 PC's and have seen no problems. I understand that Windows telemetry is more limited on Win7 as is the required blocking...this simpler approach probably reduces problems. Also I don't Skype or use Windows Media Player.
My main concern is that Anti-Beacon hasn't been updated since it was introduced over a year ago. Meanwhile Microsoft continues to release updates that may affect or increase their privacy intrusion...even on Windows 7.
I would like some assurance that the Spybot team is reviewing the telemetry status and updating anti-beacon's blocking...or at least confirming that it's all good...no worries.
There are other products out there with greater focus that are more current...I would prefer to stick with anti-beacon but a year is a long time to go without an update in the spyware biz...and yes I consider Microsoft's telemetry spyware.
Thanks for considering.

wolfie138
2016-11-02, 20:24
Find your HOSTS file

Edit the file and remove the line that contains the host that you don't want to be blocked.

BTW, Spybot people: I'm getting pretty pissed about sites like this that logout the user after a couple of minutes. Not funny at all.

worked like a charm. much obliged, bud :-)

wolfie138
2016-11-05, 12:08
Find your HOSTS file

spoke too soon - it worked, but now it's created ANOTHER new hosts file w/ my commented-out entry, but a new entry for redir.meta at the bottom - how do i stop it doing that?
TIA

santino
2016-11-07, 03:10
spoke too soon - it worked, but now it's created ANOTHER new hosts file w/ my commented-out entry, but a new entry for redir.meta at the bottom - how do i stop it doing that?
TIA
If you reapply the changes with Anti-Beacon that's probably the cause for that line reappearing on the HOSTS file.
You can undo the change manually every time you use this software or try with HostsMan and check the "exclusion list" option.
Cheers

TeaNoMilk
2016-11-09, 20:41
Hello,
I am new here and hope at the right spot to ask something. I just was looking at my System configuration and noticed that my startup selection is selective startup and not normal startup. Now, has it to do with Spybot? If yes, ok and if not i will select my normal startup again. not that i have any problems with my pc but i wonder if the protection spybot did has something to do. Running a win10, Ram 8gb, i3-3220 @ 3.3GHz. Dont know if its needed.
Thanks in advanced and a great software
Alberto

Methuzla
2016-11-15, 20:28
SB Anti-beacon options page scroll-bar fails. Also, download 1.5.0.35 reverts to 1.5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this project properly alive?

I installed SB A-B recently (23rd Nov), download SpybotAntiBeacon was version 1.5, when installed it calls itself version 1.5

Bug:
On the second 'page', "options", the scroll-bar is disconnected from the content.
I've reinstalled the same download to check it wasn't compromised, same problem.12740

Checked here. (The UI should really have 'about' links, but I googled it)

I see that v1.5.0.35 is offered, but when I go to download it (from https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=58 ), the download called SDAnti-Beacon-1.5.exe (unchanged to ..35)

Standalone has the same fault here, scrollbar disconnect on 'options' page.

Returned to https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
I thought I'd try the installed version (though I'd rather not), offered as v1.15.0.35
(at https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55 )
again the actual dl is v1.5, not 1.5.0.35

"This will install SpyBot Anti-Beacon version 1.5 on your computer" (Not 1.5.0.35), it says.

Was about to go ahead anyway.
Then checked and saw that the actual download page isn't SSL secured (!)
download.spybot.info/AntiBeacon/StandAlone/SDAntiBeacon-1.5.exe#hash(md5:F7111C90C6C3FCF014DC7D0FC78CDF64)
(Checked the SSL status with firefox calomel.org addon)

Decided not to go ahead for now.
If the download server is compromised, ... well, you work it out, I shouldn't be explicit here should I?
I see the hash is supplied by a page which is SSL protected, so it should be okay (if I trust the installer to check the hash properly, not just to skip validation).

Somehow I feel you should fix that.

As for the UI itself (the v1.5 I have), it doesn't have a date anywhere. It does say version 1.5 though.
I wasn't told there was a (phantom?) update. Auto update would be nice.

There's no "about" page referencing your good selves, nor your forum here. But I found it anyway, no sweat.

Could you please fix whatever needs fixing?

1) if there is a version 1.5.0.35, perhaps the download should send that and not 1.5
2) the download should, please, be properly SSL secured (see calomel.org)
2a) and the hash should be checked; may I presume it is? We aren't told. I hope it is.
3) BUGG: The scroll on the "options" page is disconnected, please fix.
4) please check that phone-home protection is up-to-date with latest win10, and let us know in the UI that SB-AB is up to date as at whatever date
5) Did I miss the reminder about the (phantom) update? No sign of it in the UI. (Please, something.)
6) An "about" page with links to origin web-page & forum, that would be nice, and fairly standard.

Thanks

Ruhan
2016-11-24, 07:53
SB Anti-beacon options page scroll-bar fails. Also, download 1.5.0.35 reverts to 1.5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this project properly alive?

I installed SB A-B recently (23rd Nov), download SpybotAntiBeacon was version 1.5, when installed it calls itself version 1.5

Bug:
On the second 'page', "options", the scroll-bar is disconnected from the content.
I've reinstalled the same download to check it wasn't compromised, same problem.12740

Checked here. (The UI should really have 'about' links, but I googled it)

I see that v1.5.0.35 is offered, but when I go to download it (from https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=58 ), the download called SDAnti-Beacon-1.5.exe (unchanged to ..35)

Standalone has the same fault here, scrollbar disconnect on 'options' page.

Returned to https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
I thought I'd try the installed version (though I'd rather not), offered as v1.15.0.35
(at https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55 )
again the actual dl is v1.5, not 1.5.0.35

"This will install SpyBot Anti-Beacon version 1.5 on your computer" (Not 1.5.0.35), it says.

Was about to go ahead anyway.
Then checked and saw that the actual download page isn't SSL secured (!)
download.spybot.info/AntiBeacon/StandAlone/SDAntiBeacon-1.5.exe#hash(md5:F7111C90C6C3FCF014DC7D0FC78CDF64)
(Checked the SSL status with firefox calomel.org addon)

Decided not to go ahead for now.
If the download server is compromised, ... well, you work it out, I shouldn't be explicit here should I?
I see the hash is supplied by a page which is SSL protected, so it should be okay (if I trust the installer to check the hash properly, not just to skip validation).

Somehow I feel you should fix that.

As for the UI itself (the v1.5 I have), it doesn't have a date anywhere. It does say version 1.5 though.
I wasn't told there was a (phantom?) update. Auto update would be nice.

There's no "about" page referencing your good selves, nor your forum here. But I found it anyway, no sweat.

Could you please fix whatever needs fixing?

1) if there is a version 1.5.0.35, perhaps the download should send that and not 1.5
2) the download should, please, be properly SSL secured (see calomel.org)
2a) and the hash should be checked; may I presume it is? We aren't told. I hope it is.
3) BUGG: The scroll on the "options" page is disconnected, please fix.
4) please check that phone-home protection is up-to-date with latest win10, and let us know in the UI that SB-AB is up to date as at whatever date
5) Did I miss the reminder about the (phantom) update? No sign of it in the UI. (Please, something.)
6) An "about" page with links to origin web-page & forum, that would be nice, and fairly standard.

Thanks

The product version is indeed 1.5, but the file version is 1.5.0.35. If you really must confirm which version you have, right-click on the executable and click on "Properties", then click on the "Details" tab of the window that pops up (at the very least, that's how I confirmed it when using the stand-alone version (https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php)).

BadBigBen
2016-11-28, 22:22
Hi, I don't know if this had been addressed already in a previous post, but here goes nothing:

Localization is good and neat, but it should be up to the user to decide in which language the program is displayed in, or at least keep it to the OS setting.
In my case, I maybe living in Germany but prefer my language setting, including the OS, to be in English (US English to be exact).
The installer even asks what language, but the program then decides for me how and what language is to be used, and that only partially (btw. the easy fix was to rename the content of the "locale" folder).

There is also a display problem, see the attached picture...

kosh2258
2016-11-30, 02:08
I downloaded and installed Anti-Beacon 1.5.0.35. I implemented the optional items but the Office 16 (2016) Telemetry Scheduled Tasks won't implement. I click on the Apply button but nothing happens. The button appears to be unresponsive. All the other optionals have implemented. I have Office 16 installed.

Posentred
2016-12-01, 23:09
so what you're trying to imply is that it is useless or what?

tashi
2016-12-08, 03:11
https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?74048-Anti-Beacon-1-6-Available

Spybot Anti-Beacon version 1.6 has just been released. Download Now This latest version of Anti-Beacon blocks additional categories of telemetry options in Microsoft that were not detected in earlier versions. Updates: Additional Telemetry Categories Additional Blocked Hosts: ca.telemetry.microsoft.com cache.datamart.windows.com spynet2.microsoft.com … Continue reading → (https://www.safer-networking.org/2016/anti-beacon-1-6-available/)
The post Anti-Beacon 1.6 Available (https://www.safer-networking.org/2016/anti-beacon-1-6-available/) appeared first on Spybot Anti-malware and Antivirus (https://www.safer-networking.org).

More... (https://www.safer-networking.org/2016/anti-beacon-1-6-available/)

berhav
2016-12-12, 16:23
Hi there,

Sorry for my bad englisch. Version 1.6 is not modifying my hosts file in windows 10 pro. So there is a connect to MS. I use the program as admin. Disabled a firewall and AV without results. Anyone a suggestion?.

jbr
2016-12-13, 11:28
berhav

Hi there,

Sorry for my bad englisch. Version 1.6 is not modifying my hosts file in windows 10 pro. So there is a connect to MS. I use the program as admin. Disabled a firewall and AV without results. Anyone a suggestion?.

Many AV-Programs are locking the hosts-file. They do not necessarily remove the lock, when they are disabled.

ronny941
2016-12-13, 18:16
Let me point out a bug in version 1.6

practically in the protection section the last option — that of schedules task of CEIP
don't get stuck and whenever I start the program it tells me to apply it
While the other sees them correctly

same with optional section with office 2013 and 2016 task schedules

I hope they fixed the problem

thank you in advance

with the 1.5 everything works perfectly

jeffshead
2016-12-17, 14:48
Let me first say that I'm here out of concern and that I'm not bashing this tool.

I just don't see this tool doing anything to my Win7x64 box other than adding a few entries to the HOSTS file.

Below is the log from the tool:

[i] TWindows10WindowsHandWritingDataSharingImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10WindowsSensorsImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10WindowsUpdateLocalP2PRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10AdvertisingIDRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10WiFiSenseRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10StepsRecorderRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10AITRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10TelemetryServicesImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10TelemetryIPImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10OneDriveRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10OneDriveServicesImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10CortanaRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] TWindows10WebSearchRegistryImmunization is not supported on your OS.
[i] Telemetry Hosts: 38304 entries found in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
[.] (TWindows10TelemetryHostsImmunization)
[i] Telemetry Hosts (extensive list): 38304 entries found in hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.).
[.] (TWindows10TelemetryHostsOptionalImmunization)

I've read in a few articles that some of the DNS used for MS telemetry is hard-coded and adding entries like these to the HOSTS file is useless.

I've also read that there are several KB's, a service or two and multiple scheduled tasks that need to be removed in order to "disable" telemetry.

So I will ask again... How effective is this tool?

Wishox
2016-12-17, 19:50
Hi folks, I just updated Spybot Anti-Beacon to the latest version 1.6 and when i immunize and select all protection options they do not stay when i restart the program, I have to do it every time i restart, can you help with this please. also when i do try to select everything it says 98% protected as seen in "Attachment4"

Using Windows 10 64bit

Ildon
2016-12-17, 23:20
Hi folks, I just updated Spybot Anti-Beacon to the latest version 1.6 and when i immunize and select all protection options they do not stay when i restart the program, I have to do it every time i restart, can you help with this please. also when i do try to select everything it says 98% protected as seen in "Attachment4"

Using Windows 10 64bit

Same problem for me. Rolling back to the older 1.5 version I was using fixed this problem, but 1.5 also seems to be covering less than the most recent version. Is there a particular reason why the most recent version's fixes fail to stick on those few entries?

RenoHuskerDu
2017-01-03, 20:41
Hello, Thanks for the excellent product. I've shared it on FB in geek groups.

We have six w10 computers in our home. Most are anniversary edition. I have Anti-beacon 1.5 installed on all. It's the first thing I install.

I'm updating to 1.6 and it's been maga2x on two computers, but the 3rd computer has an install hiccup.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot Anti-Beacon\SDAntiBeacon.exe
An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed: code 5.
Access is denied.

I do 'run as administrator' to start the install, and the same exe has worked fine on the first two computers. Yeah, I can uninstall and do a install fresh. Probably will before you answer, but I thought you might be interested.

Reno

RenoHuskerDu
2017-01-04, 17:42
Uninstall was incomplete. I had to stop the process in task manager. Then delete the files. Reinstall was smooth.

I suggest that you incorporate an uninstall option, and a stop option.

Thanks

watdabney
2017-01-05, 23:18
I don't know what I can do as there are no options or any info as to why it won't block the Bing IP but I just can't get it to work. Everything else works just fine and I never use Bing for anything but every so often my computer will use Bing to do a search and I don't want it to, so how do I get this to block Bing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

johnwrites
2017-01-06, 14:42
I get this when i try to update
Unknown error occurred while searching for updates
ssl /tls support not complied

will it block new updates like KB3207752 without update. upload manager does not work see https://s23.postimg.org/vdrrjpshn/spybot.jpg

aquilotto
2017-01-11, 05:54
Hi PepiMK
I am a Windows 7 user with Convenience Rollup installed and I verified that Spybot Anti-Beacon doesn't block "Diagnostics Tracking Service".
It works fine on Windows 10: it blocks both "Diagnostics Tracking Service" and "dmwappushservice" (absent in Windows 7).
It's possible to fix that issue?
Best regards

alpinemobile
2017-01-21, 13:45
Win7x64 and Win8.1x64 here. After immunization as administrator on both PCs and reboot, "diagnostics tracking service" is running and has automatic startup on both PCs. What is this s*it?

rob010101
2017-01-24, 16:07
Man, I had gotten so tired of all the disk thrashing caused by Win 10's telemetry reporting, etc.! Based on articles on the web I had tweaked as many settings as I could, but I know some of that stuff was still running, even if it wasn't sending the data. I read about AntiBeacon 1.6 in one of the articles so figured it was worth a try. Now my disk is as quiet as a mouse! It's only been a few days but I haven't noticed any undesirable effects at all.

I do have a question. At installation there was an option offered to automatically reapply immunization at startup. As I wasn't sure how the program worked, I did not tick that box assuming I could select the option at a later time. I don't see an option in the app to apply that. Can I edit a config file or something to activate that?

Thanks to the people at Safer-Networking for this excellent tool!