PDA

View Full Version : Trying to reinstall 2.4, getting an old/suspicious "event log" that won't delete

mbumburu
2015-09-28, 22:29
Running Windows 10 home on an HP Pavilion. Had SB 2.4 running for long time until one day recently, I couldn't find it. Searched for it and found it buried, all shortcuts gone, etc. Downloaded new 2.4, tried to install, was directed to remove old version first (even though it was 2.4 also). Knew something was up then.

Went to uninstall this morning. Did that. Searched again and one file kept coming up...a "Spybot Search and Destroy Event Log" in C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs. File is dated July 30, 2015...right when my internet connection seemed to start slowing down. See this:

When I try to delete this event log from C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs -- BEFORE installing the fresh 2.4 version today -- I get a message "The action can't be completed because the file is in open in Windows Audio." Windows Audio is not open in my task manager.

File is attached. It let me copy it to my desktop.

I will proceed with installing the fresh 2.4 version...worry, of course, is that this "log" is really malware/trojan horse and will simply hijack the fresh SpyBot installation.

Help?

tashi
2015-09-29, 15:45
Hello mbumburu, :welcome:

I will proceed with installing the fresh 2.4 version...worry, of course, is that this "log" is really malware/trojan horse and will simply hijack the fresh SpyBot installation.

The .pngs don't show a hijack, how did the fresh install go?

Also is the computer running normally in general?

Kind regards.