PDA

View Full Version : Full Scan Doesn't End

chrisc12
2015-10-15, 03:19
I have been a Spybot user for many years. I am encountering an issue today and I am reaching out to the community for some guidance. I updated the program yesterday and then ran a full scan which I know takes a long time. This morning I came to my PC and saw that it said 100.0% at the top left corner of the window but at the bottom it still says scan progressing on the left, in the middle it shows 4E2AF2AC and on the right it says Scanning for Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files.... In addition, in the progress area it shows Status: Scan progressing, Product: Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files.... and it shows the progress bar all filled but it is still getting the moving light across it.

This is going on 20 hours which is really long. Anyone know what this could be???

tashi
2015-10-16, 01:24
Hello chrisc12, :welcome:

Have you tried another scan with the same result?

Best regards.

Buzzsaw.Bob
2015-10-16, 09:14
Same problem, tried twice now same result, never ends. Running Windows 10. anybody any solution?

chrisc12
2015-10-16, 14:14
I am now on my 2nd run of the Full Scan and it is doing the same thing. Running Win 7.

tashi
2015-10-16, 17:56
Hello,

Buzzsaw.Bob which version and edition of Spybot do you have: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

Do either of you have other security programs installed, if so please list them.

Also, did you elevate Spybot's permissions?

Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu, instead of just left-clicking to start it.
Choose Run as administrator from the context menu.

Best regards.

chrisc12
2015-10-16, 18:39
I'm using Trend Micro.

tashi
2015-10-16, 20:48
chrisc12 which version and edition of Spybot do you have: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

(http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/)

Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu, instead of just left-clicking to start it.

:)

chrisc12
2015-10-16, 20:53
it is the Free Edition and Version 2.4. Yes I have run it as Administrator.

chrisc12 which version and edition of Spybot do you have: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

(http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/)

:)

Buzzsaw.Bob
2015-10-16, 23:40
running Avast antivirus. Have tried running Spybot version 2.5.42.0 as administrator, issues still occuring. Uninstalled and resinstalled as well.
will try again and see what happens

Hello,

Buzzsaw.Bob which version and edition of Spybot do you have: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

Do either of you have other security programs installed, if so please list them.

Best regards.

tashi
2015-10-17, 04:52
Hello,

It might be best if you use the form for a support ticket.

https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/technical/

Thank you. :)

techspec
2015-12-02, 19:01
This is now happening to me. Was a solution found?

Not been able to run a scan for a month as it keeps stopping on zlob.zipcodec

Ive read its a trojan but still not sure why it brings Spybot to an halt.

mntom
2015-12-05, 19:01
I am having the same issue. Spybot runs and at the end sits on scanning Zlob.ZipCodec. I'm running Windows 10 and Spybot 2.4.40.130. Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Same issue.

Thanks,...and I hope someone has the answer!:bigthumb:

Shane_77
2015-12-09, 03:34
I'm having the same issue. I'm using spybot 2.5 with anti-virus. The scan won't finish when it gets to 100% it loops straight into a new scan. I also notice on the top right it always says the software is being updated where I presume it should say your software is up to date. This has been going on with me since I bought it. I've been patiently waiting for a patch hoping it would be fixed. I have un-installed and re-installed but keep getting the same results. I have un-installed and tried it on 2 other laptops all running windows 10 and I get the same results the scan won't finish it just keeps looping to a new one.

Chase
2015-12-13, 14:43
Forgive me I have no idea where to go to post this, but this seems like the right place.

My Spybot has been stuck on Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files for the past three days. It never finishes the scan. It gets stuck on it. I have no idea what needs to be done on anything.

Warning for the one who might come to my aid. I have zero knowledge on any of this jargon that I have seen in the forums. I don't understand a lick of anything written here or how to do anything.

gasoline
2015-12-13, 15:27
I use Spybot for years.

But suddenly at scan it freezes on 100% with the Product: Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files

Tried everything, scanned with other tools, cleaned etc. Uninstalled and reinstalled, running as admin. Always same result. Already for weeks.

I use W10.

Don't know what to do now.

mntom
2015-12-13, 16:02
I use Spybot for years.

But suddenly at scan it freezes on 100% with the Product: Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files

I think we need the parent company, Safer-Networking Ltd, to come to our rescue. This is apparently a fairly widespread issue that either involves the Spybot application directly or its interface with Windows 10.

I hope someone there reads these posts! :rolleyes:

tashi
2015-12-13, 19:16
Hello everyone,

I have left notice for the team and linked them to this topic.

You can also start a support ticket: https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

Best regards.

mntom
2015-12-13, 19:39
Hello everyone,

I have left notice for the team and linked them to this topic.

You can also start a support ticket: https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

Thanks for you quick response in moving this along. I filed a support request on Friday, Dec. 11. My ticket number is 2015121180000654.

I love Spybot and I'm hoping the issue is resolved soon.

Thanks again!

gasoline
2015-12-16, 16:37
I reported the bug also. Hope it's solved soon.

"Hangs" here:

mntom
2015-12-16, 17:53
I reported the bug also. Hope it's solved soon.

"Hangs" here:

I had a support person respond to my request with the following advice: "Please open Spybot Settings and switch to the Categories tab. Deselect all products except Trojans-ZL-000. After that rescan your system. In case it
again stops, make a screenshot of the whole Spybot window and add it to your next mail to us."

At first, I could not get the Settings menu to open for two days, but then this morning I ran the Update option a couple of times until all updates were made. The Settings menu finally popped up! Then I followed the directions above and ran the scan with only Trojans-ZL-000 selected. It ran fine except on the last item to be checked (Firefox bookmarks), it took about 5 minutes to complete.

After the revised scan completed with no issues, I went back and selected all the Categories in the Settings menu and re-ran the scan. Again, it took a long time to complete the last entry (Firefox bookmarks), but it completed successfully, showing me a number of things to be fixed.

It looks like I finally have a working Spybot application!

:bigthumb:

JohnHansell
2015-12-18, 20:11
Running windows 10 and a fully paid up professional version of spybot with anitvirus - but it just freezes/hangs on the zlob codec.

Is Safer Networking doing anything about a fix? or id the latest Zlob a nemsis that will prevent me using my security software from here on in to scan my machine ??

regards

John

mntom
2015-12-18, 23:45
John, See my post prior to yours. My Spybot with the same issue as yours is now working fine. Give the solution a try.

Thanks!

JohnHansell
2015-12-23, 12:26
I cannot get setting to open at all to do as you suggest - as well as the fact i cant open settings and that scans freeze on the whole zlob codec, i cant turn Internet Protection either - spybot seems seriously broke. Started a ticket lets hope the boffins can fix it (interestingly enough nothing seems wrong with my machine or windows if i uninstall Spybot and it runs fast but soon as i reinstall Spybot - the only thing detecting and freezing on the zlob thing, my machine boots up dead slow and has issues - i'm starting to suspect the problem is SPYBOT itself!!!)

bamagal1960
2016-01-04, 21:18
I had a support person respond to my request with the following advice: "Please open Spybot Settings and switch to the Categories tab. Deselect all products except Trojans-ZL-000. After that rescan your system. In case it
again stops, make a screenshot of the whole Spybot window and add it to your next mail to us."

At first, I could not get the Settings menu to open for two days, but then this morning I ran the Update option a couple of times until all updates were made. The Settings menu finally popped up! Then I followed the directions above and ran the scan with only Trojans-ZL-000 selected. It ran fine except on the last item to be checked (Firefox bookmarks), it took about 5 minutes to complete.

After the revised scan completed with no issues, I went back and selected all the Categories in the Settings menu and re-ran the scan. Again, it took a long time to complete the last entry (Firefox bookmarks), but it completed successfully, showing me a number of things to be fixed.

:bigthumb:

I am not very computer savvy...but I've had spybot for years.....this just started hanging up when I updated to windows 10....I've read through other threads about this....but haven't tried this.....don't know how to get settings to open....cn you talk me through it step by step....please

i have the free version of spybot 2.5, windows 10....avast anti virus

Vhaelor
2016-01-06, 11:40
John, See my post prior to yours. My Spybot with the same issue as yours is now working fine. Give the solution a try.

Thanks!

Tried that several times. Settings window won't open. Still freezes and goes "does not respond" (at best, if it opens at all) and then the scan keeps getting stuck on Zlob.zipcodec. Sheesh :sad:

Th3RadMan
2016-01-07, 03:26
I'm also having the same problem as everyone else... anything new?

adaveabbott
2016-01-11, 20:41
Same problem, tried twice now same result, never ends. Running Windows 10. anybody any solution?

Adaveabbott, also got the same problem on Windows 10. Tried numerous times same result.

techspec
2016-01-12, 05:21
I cant open settings either.

Been with Spybot many years but might be time to quit as they dont seem to care.

pvg47
2016-01-13, 02:00
I have been a Spybot user for many years. I am encountering an issue today and I am reaching out to the community for some guidance. I updated the program yesterday and then ran a full scan which I know takes a long time. This morning I came to my PC and saw that it said 100.0% at the top left corner of the window but at the bottom it still says scan progressing on the left, in the middle it shows 4E2AF2AC and on the right it says Scanning for Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files.... In addition, in the progress area it shows Status: Scan progressing, Product: Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files.... and it shows the progress bar all filled but it is still getting the moving light across it.

This is going on 20 hours which is really long. Anyone know what this could be???

Same problem as everyone else.

RustyFuture
2016-01-16, 22:30
Hi All,

I'm also getting the same issue as everyone else with regards to being unable to open settings and the full scan freezing on the zlob codec. I have raised a support ticket and they stated that a lot of users have raised the full scan issue but they were unable to replicate it. They asked me a copy of the logs and my exisitng sdsettings.exe file. They sent me a replacement SDSettings.exe file, but this one didn't work either. I have heard nothing back on the full scan issue yet, but i've sent them a dump file of the sdsettings process running on my machine to see if that helps.

I will keep you update as I hear from Spybot Support Team and to any resolution on either issue.

mntom
2016-01-16, 23:05
Hi All,

I'm also getting the same issue as everyone else with regards to being unable to open settings and the full scan freezing on the zlob codec. I have raised a support ticket and they stated that a lot of users have raised the full scan issue but they were unable to replicate it. They asked me a copy of the logs and my exisitng sdsettings.exe file. They sent me a replacement SDSettings.exe file, but this one didn't work either. I have heard nothing back on the full scan issue yet, but i've sent them a dump file of the sdsettings process running on my machine to see if that helps.

I will keep you update as I hear from Spybot Support Team and to any resolution on either issue.

I finally got mine to work. Here's what I posted weeks ago: I had a support person respond to my request with the following advice: "Please open Spybot Settings and switch to the Categories tab. Deselect all products except Trojans-ZL-000. After that rescan your system. In case it

I hope this might work for others. If not, the only thing I can suggest is to fill out a support ticket and hope that the safer-networking folks will find a fix.

RonBoyd0174
2016-01-18, 13:41
I, too, have this problem. I cannot start the Settings Menu. Additionally, in the upper left on the Start Center screen, I am told that "The Update Service is stopped." If I click on the "Update" icon, a message ("The background Updating Service is not started. Do you want to elevate, using administrator privileges to start ?") pops up. Answering "Yes" opens the Update module and clicking "Update" appears to run through its routine as usual. However, the Start Center still shows "The Update Service is stopped" -- even after closing the Update screen.

When I go to "Services" (in Operating System), I am unable to find any Service relating to Spybot (or Safer-Networking). Does anyone know the name of the Spybot Service that is not starting?

In any event, I am still unable to open the Settings Menu and the Scan still gets stuck on "zlob.zipcodec." Are there any suggestions as to what to do next?

RustyFuture
2016-01-18, 14:10
I, too, have this problem. I cannot start the Settings Menu. Additionally, in the upper left on the Start Center screen, I am told that "The Update Service is stopped." If I click on the "Update" icon, a message ("The background Updating Service is not started. Do you want to elevate, using administrator privileges to start ?") pops up. Answering "Yes" opens the Update module and clicking "Update" appears to run through its routine as usual. However, the Start Center still shows "The Update Service is stopped" -- even after closing the Update screen.

When I go to "Services" (in Operating System), I am unable to find any Service relating to Spybot (or Safer-Networking). Does anyone know the name of the Spybot Service that is not starting?

In any event, I am still unable to open the Settings Menu and the Scan still gets stuck on "zlob.zipcodec." Are there any suggestions as to what to do next?

As you can see from the link, the SD Services are listed.

The service should be called Spybot S&D 2 - Spybot updating service for the update.

RonBoyd0174
2016-01-18, 17:33

As you can see from the link, the SD Services are listed.

The service should be called Spybot S&D 2 - Spybot updating service for the update.

Well, that was my problem finding them. These three services were not listed -- a re-install of Spybot put them back where they belong. After doing an "Update," they stuck so I guess that's one thing off the table. I am, however, still unable to access the "Settings" menu.

RustyFuture
2016-01-18, 20:13
Well, that was my problem finding them. These three services were not listed -- a re-install of Spybot put them back where they belong. After doing an "Update," they stuck so I guess that's one thing off the table. I am, however, still unable to access the "Settings" menu.
Hi RonBoyd,

I'm also having this issue. Sbybot support even sent me a replacement settings file but that failed too. Deleting the file and letting the update process download it again didn't work either. I've sent further information to the support team, i'm waiting to hear back.Ii'll keep you updated.

RonBoyd0174
2016-01-18, 20:24
I've sent further information to the support team, i'm waiting to hear back.Ii'll keep you updated.

Thank you, Rusty.

rsrsystems
2016-01-26, 03:00
I am guessing there is no remedy yet? Just dl'd the app today and it hangs up exactly as others here have mentioned. I tried the method someone in this post mentioned to no avail. I was about to purchase the app but since this issue is still not resolved, well I will not do so, at least not until this issue at the least, is dealt with, corrected. Hope to come back in a few days and notice a fix.

carlkup
2016-01-29, 17:38
I am having the same problem. Been using spybot with windows 10 since windows 10 got released. Using Norton Security with backup for a year before problem occurred. Tried running as administrator. Tried reinstalling. Running spybot 2.5.43. Will run 24 hours showing 100 percent done, hanging up on Zlobzip.codec 8F4129CC. Please let me know how to get the program to run properly and complete the scan like it always used to. This problem started about 2 weeks ago. Thank you for your help.

RustyFuture
2016-01-31, 10:29
Hi carlkup & rsrsystems,

I haven't heard anything back from the Spybot support team since my last post.

Once I do, I will let you know.

I don't believe there is a fix yet, unless you can get to the Settings as mntom mentions.

Rusty.

PepiMK
2016-03-14, 10:38
Upfront: while the name "Zlob" still is shown, this problem has nothing to do with Zlob. Zlob simply is the alphabetically last signature, directly after which browsers are scanned...

We've had two rounds of collecting system information to try to find a common ground so far, and tried to copy many configurations, which went without success in reproducing the issue (why not see below).

We then went through three rounds of sending test versions of SDSettings and collecting back test logs. Why SDSettings? Because it shows the same freeze but the user doesn't have to wait as long to experience it. From the logs created by these tests versions, we closed down on the issue, until we found where the freeze occurs in round three last week.

The issue is clearly Internet Explorer related - a corrupt Internet Explorer cache will cause Spybots cache analysis to freeze (cache is accessed in SDSettings as well for its tab showing the list of recognized browsers).

We can fix this inside Spybot, and started working on that, but since a new version needs to be written and tested and this consumes time, an idea for a faster workaround would be to clear the IE cache to remove any corrupt entries.

Could someone affected please go through these steps (https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=15141) and report back whether this helps? As a quick fix we're going to write an IE cache wiper, but it would be helpful to see how deep the cache needs to be wiped, and in case forum answers are faster than email tickets... :)

PepiMK
2016-03-14, 17:26
Here's another small tool for testing and clearing the IE cache, not yet the hard way: Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe). It should print an error code unique to affected systems (similar to the log created by SDSettings, stage 4), and can try to purge the cache.

RonBoyd0174
2016-03-14, 17:37
Here's another small tool for testing and clearing the IE cache, not yet the hard way: Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe). It should print an error code unique to affected systems (similar to the log created by SDSettings, stage 4), and can try to purge the cache.

Okay, I ran this and Clicked on "Test Caches" and then "Purge Caches." Here is the Log:

[i] IE cache path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\
[i] IE cookies path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\
[i] IE history path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\
[+] IE cache read with handled outer issue:
[i] 0x00000002 ( 2) The system cannot find the file specified
[i] IE cache path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\
[i] IE cookies path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\
[i] IE history path: C:\Users\Ronald Boyd\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\
[i] Cache: 686
[i] Cookies: 114
[i] History: 3924
[i] IE cache path: \
[i] IE cookies path: \
[i] IE history path: \
[i] Cache: 0
[i] Cookies: 0
[i] History: 0

[i] After purging...
[i] After purging...

I will now run SpyBot System Scan and report back.

Ron

PepiMK
2016-03-14, 17:43
Many thanks for the fast testing!

If this didn't solve the freeze (looks like that from the log), does clearing the log like described in the earlier external link help?

RonBoyd0174
2016-03-14, 18:00
Many thanks for the fast testing!

If this didn't solve the freeze (looks like that from the log), does clearing the log like described in the earlier external link help?

I ran the earlier Link just prior to running the one with the log. I have to run some errands but the Scan will take some time anyway so it will run while I'm away from my desk. (It shows Estimated Time Left as 47 minutes but that usually is way underestimated.)

RonBoyd0174
2016-03-14, 23:04
Okay, no joy. For starters, I don't know if I mentioned it but I have two machines with the same problem. I went through the whole protocol with both machines. and this is what occurred:

Both machines seemed to be stuck after several (numerous) hours:

Machine #1 (the one I have been speaking of):

Product: Win32.qhost.ahnj
File: C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-I-5-21-1064084032\2003121598-1000\$RD73W4J.htm

Machine #2:

Product: Zlob.ZIP.ZipCodeec.Download Files...
File: C:\users\<user name>\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache\Low\IE\1CY2KQ0H\Search[1].htm

I did try with Machine #1 a couple times -- booting before the second try -- same exact result.

What else can I do?

Silverghost
2016-03-15, 13:34
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I don't use I.E. only Firefox and I am having the same issue as has been described in many posts, so the work around may not be applicable to other browser users.

Silverghost
2016-03-15, 13:53
Perhaps Spybot can look at this link for some ideas. It seems that some one has a solution " http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603389/spybot-scan-stopped-at-zlobzipcodec-downloaded-files/

PepiMK
2016-03-15, 13:55
@Silverghost: You don't bear bad news :)
Internet Explorer is simply part of every Windows system, and is used in the background by so many programs.
If you want, try this tool (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/Trac3918ZlobCodecFreeze.exe) and it will most likely list you a non-empty Internet Explorer cache, as well as a "handled outer issue" as in RonBoyd0174s report :)

@RonBoyd0174: sorry for not being more specific. I meant the cache cleaning described here (https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=15141), both variants.

I'll that I have a test version of the scanning engine available asap as well to see if the intended fix will do.

PepiMK
2016-03-16, 11:53
Here is the updated scan engine (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/SDScanLibrary-trac3918-test-1.zip) (this is a test release). Extract and overwrite existing SDScanLibrary.dll in Spybot folder.

RonBoyd0174
2016-03-16, 16:58
Here is the updated scan engine (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/SDScanLibrary-trac3918-test-1.zip) (this is a test release). Extract and overwrite existing SDScanLibrary.dll in Spybot folder.

Full disclosure: I am, also, working with Bjorn at Team Spybot. I came across his e-mail with this same Link before I seen this post. Here is my response to him:

Bjorn,

Interesting result. I ran it on both machines. Both Scans completed as expected (hoped for). However, when I clicked on the “Fix selected” button, the System Scan window froze (Not Responding). (FWIW, only that window was frozen – I could use all other aspects of the machine… including starting and stopping Spybot Start Center). I waited two hours for one of the machines to “unfreeze” (while the other machine was still scanning) before forcing the window to close. I restarted the System Scan option and was told that “Your computer has been scanned today at 01:27 o’clock.” (I am still waiting for this second scan to complete but thought I should report as a soon as possible.)

I had left checked all of the items found when I clicked on the “Fix selected” button on this machine.

After the other machine completed the Scan (same results as above), I clicked on the “Fix selected” button with the same “frozen” result. On this machine, I had unchecked the following before clicking the “Fix” button:

Unchecked the “Typed URL List”
Unchecked all – Windows Explorer, Cookie, Cache, and History.

I believe we are getting very close to a solution.

Ron

sweetangel
2016-03-16, 20:39
Hi,

I had been having the same issue (i.e. scan freezes at Zlip.zlob or whatever it was called + unable to access the Settings) for about 2 months. Using Windows 10, free version of Spybot. Clearing the Internet Explorer cache using the instructions in the external link worked perfectly for me. I ran Spybot immediately after and the scan completed successfully and got to the results page.

Just a note that I also don't use IE (I am a Firefox user) but still had it installed on my computer. Regardless of not using it, clearing its cache seemed to work for me. Hope this helps.

RustyFuture
2016-03-16, 20:55
Full disclosure: I am, also, working with Bjorn at Team Spybot. I came across his e-mail with this same Link before I seen this post. Here is my response to him:

Bjorn,

Interesting result. I ran it on both machines. Both Scans completed as expected (hoped for). However, when I clicked on the “Fix selected” button, the System Scan window froze (Not Responding). (FWIW, only that window was frozen – I could use all other aspects of the machine… including starting and stopping Spybot Start Center). I waited two hours for one of the machines to “unfreeze” (while the other machine was still scanning) before forcing the window to close. I restarted the System Scan option and was told that “Your computer has been scanned today at 01:27 o’clock.” (I am still waiting for this second scan to complete but thought I should report as a soon as possible.)

I had left checked all of the items found when I clicked on the “Fix selected” button on this machine.

After the other machine completed the Scan (same results as above), I clicked on the “Fix selected” button with the same “frozen” result. On this machine, I had unchecked the following before clicking the “Fix” button:

Unchecked the “Typed URL List”
Unchecked all – Windows Explorer, Cookie, Cache, and History.

I believe we are getting very close to a solution.

Ron

I can also replicate the issues that RonBoyd has described above after also receiving the link to the test dll by Bjorn.

RustyFuture
2016-03-16, 21:00

here are my logs:

[i] IE cache path: C:\Users\huwfr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\
[i] IE cookies path: C:\Users\huwfr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\
[i] IE history path: C:\Users\huwfr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\
[i] IE cookies path: C:\Users\huwfr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\
[i] Cache: 920
[i] Cookies: 6
[i] History: 7

[i] After purging...

PepiMK
2016-03-17, 11:54
A freezing fix attempt would be a logical thing, since the browser handling is also part of SDScan (doing first round of fixes) or SDCleaner (helping with cleaning after reboots etc.).

Now that it seems confirmed the fix works, we will update these as well.

@sweetangel: many thanks for confirming that cleaning the IE cache helped as well, we can use that as a temporary workaround until all affected modules are updated!

@RustyFuture: thanks for another log :)

Leon16
2016-03-17, 20:06
Hello there

I am experiencing the same difficulties as a paid user. I am pleased we are inching towards a conclusion. Will this fix be rolled out to us automatically? Or will we have to undergo the same process you have done here?

RonBoyd0174
2016-03-17, 20:20
Hello there

I am experiencing the same difficulties as a paid user. I am pleased we are inching towards a conclusion. Will this fix be rolled out to us automatically? Or will we have to undergo the same process you have done here?

FWIW, I am a paid user.

PepiMK
2016-03-17, 20:34
Once finished, the fix will come through the updates with no interaction required (paid users get automated updates, free users would have to initiate the update, which they should do regularly for new signatures anyway) :)

idrinkski
2016-03-17, 23:55
I tested your solution and it worked. Here is what I found.

I am running Windows 10 64 Bit and I had the Zlob issue.

I first cleared all temp information for Microsoft Edge and reran the scan. I still had the issue.

I then went into Microsoft Edge and opened an IE 11 window. I cleared all the temp information. Reran the scan and no longer have the Zlob issue.

I didn't do the Developer stuff mentioned in the article you linked to, since it was required to fix the issue.

I created an account just to give you a heads up. I have been using your products since 2004.

Keep up the good work.

Upfront: while the name "Zlob" still is shown, this problem has nothing to do with Zlob. Zlob simply is the alphabetically last signature, directly after which browsers are scanned...

We've had two rounds of collecting system information to try to find a common ground so far, and tried to copy many configurations, which went without success in reproducing the issue (why not see below).

We then went through three rounds of sending test versions of SDSettings and collecting back test logs. Why SDSettings? Because it shows the same freeze but the user doesn't have to wait as long to experience it. From the logs created by these tests versions, we closed down on the issue, until we found where the freeze occurs in round three last week.

The issue is clearly Internet Explorer related - a corrupt Internet Explorer cache will cause Spybots cache analysis to freeze (cache is accessed in SDSettings as well for its tab showing the list of recognized browsers).

We can fix this inside Spybot, and started working on that, but since a new version needs to be written and tested and this consumes time, an idea for a faster workaround would be to clear the IE cache to remove any corrupt entries.

Could someone affected please go through these steps (https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=15141) and report back whether this helps? As a quick fix we're going to write an IE cache wiper, but it would be helpful to see how deep the cache needs to be wiped, and in case forum answers are faster than email tickets... :)

Chiefnerdnc
2016-03-20, 16:55
I tested your solution and it worked. Here is what I found.

I am running Windows 10 64 Bit and I had the Zlob issue.

I first cleared all temp information for Microsoft Edge and reran the scan. I still had the issue.

I then went into Microsoft Edge and opened an IE 11 window. I cleared all the temp information. Reran the scan and no longer have the Zlob issue.

I didn't do the Developer stuff mentioned in the article you linked to, since it was required to fix the issue.

I created an account just to give you a heads up. I have been using your products since 2004.

Keep up the good work.

I was having the same issue with the SB SCAN Not completing, saying it was 100% complete but showing zlob.zipcodec as being scanned. I found a post the forums here that mentioned that SB used IE for scanning and to clear out your Internet CACHE to fix the problem. I cleared my IE11 CACHE and delete my WINDOWS/TEMP folder contents and my SB Scan finished. I'm not saying that's a solution for everyone, but it work for me. Take this info at your own risk.

PepiMK
2016-03-21, 16:08
Here (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe) is what probably will be the final fix, an update installing involved files in version 2.6 over the current installation. With this fix, fixing results will work as well.

RustyFuture
2016-03-22, 10:02
Here (http://download.spybot.info/Spybot2/special-purpose-test-versions/sd2-3918-scan-stops-at-zlob/spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe) is what probably will be the final fix, an update installing involved files in version 2.6 over the current installation. With this fix, fixing results will work as well.

Thanks PepiMK, I can confirm that the fix works as expected with the results fixing working normally again.

Rusty.

larrymanalo
2016-03-24, 11:43

Sorry if this does not mean much, but after snooping around the forums and stumbling onto this post, I can say from my experience that clearing the cache for Internet Explorer resulted in a completed scan (instead of being stuck on the Zlob item). Let me know if anything else is needed, but thanks for pointing out this fix that worked for me!

DaveCInOz
2016-03-25, 06:58

I don't use internet explorer, I have NEVER used internet explorer on the laptop, heck, the laptop doesn't even HAVE internet explorer installed, it has Microsoft Edge - so I'm at a loss to see how the issue can be related to that...

That said, I've flushed the cache there and am running Spybot again - let's see what happens ..

Hmmm, no surprise there - stops at exactly the same point.

Product : Zlob.ZipCodec downloaded files.

RonBoyd0174
2016-03-25, 16:09
I don't use internet explorer, I have NEVER used internet explorer on the laptop, heck, the laptop doesn't even HAVE internet explorer installed, ...

??

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/27095-internet-explorer-install-uninstall-windows-10-a.html

Internet Explorer 11 comes with Windows 10. You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer since Internet Explorer is a Windows feature, but you can turn it on and off.

DaveCInOz
2016-03-26, 06:46
??

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/27095-internet-explorer-install-uninstall-windows-10-a.html

Well, there you go. I didn't even know it was there, so that still proves my point that it's not internet explorer related (in my case at least) as that browser has never been launched on the laptop.

PepiMK
2016-03-29, 13:42
Well, there you go. I didn't even know it was there, so that still proves my point that it's not internet explorer related (in my case at least) as that browser has never been launched on the laptop.

What this proves is that you never launched IE, nothing more I'm afraid :)

There's tons of software that uses IE internally to display web content (without its button and menu bars etc.), where you'll never notice that they use the IE that's installed on your computer.

There's probably even more software that uses the invisible part that offers easy Internet connections, e.g. used by many apps that simply check for updates in the background.

And finally, there's tons of security software that access and modify the IE cache.

Which means that even if you did not launch IE, it probably has been used a lot. Check our "BrowserCI" tool (on the Dowloads section here on the forum) to see what has been accessed through IE on your computer.