PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer_original.exe and TeaTimer crashing explorer

nobodyz
2006-09-12, 19:12
Hi all,
I've searched the forums thoroughly for my topic in any post and can't find a reference to it.

TeaTimer.exe has been alerting me when I remove a CD from my CD-ROM drive when it is not able to complete autorun. That's okay, but it won't allow me to cancel, retry or continue. I tried shutting it down in taskmanager and it won't shut down. Eventually, it crashes explorer.

While searching for answers here, I found repeated suggestions to stop TeaTimer.exe by exiting the Resident in the systray then searching for TeaTimer.exe in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy to start it back up and refresh it. When I searched for it, I found TeaTimer_original.exe AND TeaTimer.exe. What is this _original.exe file?

And can anyone help with TeaTimer's continual crashes of explorer?

Thank you. :)

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-12, 21:01
nobodyz:

re: TeaTimer_original.exe vs. TeaTimer.exe.

… I found TeaTimer_original.exe AND TeaTimer.exe. What is this _original.exe file?
Did you use ResHacker to fix the button overlay problem with TeaTimer 1.4? Reference:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
If so it appears that ResHacker backs up the original TeaTimer.exe as
TeaTimer_original.exe during that process.

re: The actual problem that you are having with CDs and TeaTimer messages.

TeaTimer.exe has been alerting me when I remove a CD from my CD-ROM drive when it is not able to complete autorun. That's okay, but it won't allow me to cancel, retry or continue. I tried shutting it down in taskmanager and it won't shut down. Eventually, it crashes explorer.
What type of CD are you having a problem with (audio, software installation, etc.)? What is the content of the TeaTimer dialog messages that you are receiving?

If you answered any of the TeaTimer dialog messages, the content of the Resident.log may be helpful. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that shows the registry changes that you are concerned with, then right click and select Copy. Paste the log entries to another post in this thread.

Eventually, it crashes explorer.
Which "explorer" ? Can I assume Windows Explorer vs. Internet Explorer?

nobodyz
2006-09-13, 05:03
nobodyz:

re: TeaTimer_original.exe vs. TeaTimer.exe.

Did you use ResHacker to fix the button overlay problem with TeaTimer 1.4? Reference:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
If so it appears that ResHacker backs up the original TeaTimer.exe as
TeaTimer_original.exe during that process.

re: The actual problem that you are having with CDs and TeaTimer messages.

What type of CD are you having a problem with (audio, software installation, etc.)? What is the content of the TeaTimer dialog messages that you are receiving?

If you answered any of the TeaTimer dialog messages, the content of the Resident.log may be helpful. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that shows the registry changes that you are concerned with, then right click and select Copy. Paste the log entries to another post in this thread.

Which "explorer" ? Can I assume Windows Explorer vs. Internet Explorer?

Yes, I used ResHacker to fix the button overlay problem with Tea Timer 1.4. Glad to know the TeaTimer_original.exe is a harmless and accounted-for file.

Software installation CD is what I was having trouble with. I get no message until I finally remove the CD from the drive because all it does is spin and freeze explorer. And by "explorer" I am referring to Windows Explorer. I can't get any windows to do anything. So I eject the CD (it's WarcraftII: BNE - one I've had for years and used countless times, so it's not carrying a virus or trojan or whatnot) and get a message, something like this (sorry, don't have exact words): TeaTimer.exe (in the top bar of the window) "There is no CD in the CDRom drive. Please insert a CD." Then the choices "Cancel" "Retry" or "Continue". No cancelling, retrying or continuing works to make that dialogue go away. Not even clicking on the red X at far top right to close window will make it leave. I even tried shutting it down using taskmanager by finding TeaTimer.exe and trying to End Process. Would not end.

Here is the content of the Resident.log you asked for:
9/12/2006 12:12:40 AM Allowed value "LogitechVideoTray" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 12:58:47 AM Allowed value "LogitechVideoTray" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 9:08:11 AM Allowed value "LogitechVideoTray" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 9:24:00 AM Allowed value "LogitechVideoTray" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 9:53:46 AM Allowed value "LogitechVideoTray" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 9:54:07 AM Allowed value "LogitechVideoRepair" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 9:54:26 AM Allowed value "LogitechSoftwareUpdate" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
9/12/2006 9:55:11 AM Allowed value "LVCOMSX" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
9/12/2006 9:55:52 AM Allowed value "NvCplDaemon" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!

As a rather important footnote: I arose after all my scans for the day were done and found 4 things that my AVG and Lavasoft Ad-Aware found:
--AVG Vault contained--
Virus name: Adware Generic.llJ
Filename: popcaploader_v6[1].cab
[actually, 2 of them]
--LavaSoft Ad-Aware found--
Win32.Trojan.Downloader (Tac rating of 10)
BargainBuddy (Tac rating of 8)

I mention these because it is highly unusual that I have anything as a result in my scans other than MRU (sp?) tracks. These buggers have been removed by the respective programs that found them and I'm about to try to install WarcraftII:BNE again after posting here. If all goes well with that install, I will return here to let you know.

Thanks very much for your time and effort.

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-13, 05:55
I personally have never seen the message you are describing. However, someone sent me a private message indicating that they have seen the same message and that the think it is a standard Windows message that comes up when a CD is removed while it is still doing something and that it for some strange reason has TeaTimer.exe in the title bar.

nobodyz
2006-09-13, 06:11
I personally have never seen the message you are describing. However, someone sent me a private message indicating that they have seen the same message and that the think it is a standard Windows message that comes up when a CD is removed while it is still doing something and that it for some strange reason has TeaTimer.exe in the title bar.

Interesting. When it happened earlier today and I was getting the "TeaTimer.exe - No Disk" message, I found TeaTimer_original.exe and tossed it in the recycle bin. While it was there, the message window title bar changed to "Windows - No Disk" instead of "TeaTimer.exe - No Disk". I returned TeaTimer_original.exe after you wrote that it was a valid file. I have had no repeat of "TeaTimer.exe - No Disk" since.

However, I did successfully install WarcraftII:BNE (call me retro, but I still love that game lol) BUT I could not play the game. The CD kept spinning, explorer froze, and when I took the CD out of the drive, I got the message (exact wording now):

Windows - No Disk (in the title bar) then a red circle with a white X inside it to the left, then "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:" with options "Cancel" "Try Again" and "Continue".

Attempting to Cancel causes windows explorer to crash. When it returns the desktop the only program in my systray that is missing is TeaTimer.

So ... I go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy and double click on TeaTimer.exe ... and nothing happens. It will not launch. I have to reboot my system to get it back.

I have had windows explorer crash at other times, without all this problem with the CD ROM, and TeaTimer is always the casualty. Seems odd to me.

You asked:
What is the content of the TeaTimer dialog messages that you are receiving?

The answer is that I never received a TeaTimer dialog message. Not the normal one that pops up at the top of my systray. The message I was getting was the "TeaTimer.exe - No Disk" window discussed above.

As a footnote: I ran an AVG scan and an Ad-Aware scan on the CD in question, and both came up clean. I have also made a virtual image of the CD since my last post in order to avert the constant spinning of the CD in the drive: one of those annoying things with older games. I scanned the virtual image as well with both AVG and Ad-Aware and both came up clean.

Thank you again for you time.