PDA

View Full Version : ASUS MSN Homepage nightmare

MiscellaneousUser
2015-10-28, 23:42
I have not bought or tried Spybot lately. It seems I remember it maybe having a home-page lock. I really need a home page lock that works against newer, more devious home page hacks. Even OEM hacks.

I've had my laptop Win 8.1 ASUS computer for almost a year. Only in the last couple months has Asus.msn.com become my involuntary home page on every browser I install. I even "recycle" the computer and restore it to factory and within an hour it is back to that home page hijack-on Firefox or Chrome or anything else. I don't know where it's coming from. I uninstall every bloatware app I can before even connecting it to the internet. It insists on that going to that page after a connection or two. Obviously ASUS or someone has decided that if you own their computer they will force you to log on to MSN on first connect after having the computer off-whether you like it or not.

This is not a case of simply adjusting basic browser settings so please don't go there. I have no idea where to go to shut off the MSN hijack. I've even deleted every instance of MSN.com from the registry before going online the first time and still can't avoid it. What I need is a browser home page block that will simply refuse to allow anyone from making me a home page at all from any place. Does Spybot do that?

tashi
2015-10-29, 06:36
Hello MiscellaneousUser,

You may know that the issue you describe has been reported by users for several years.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_vista/msnasus-i-am-not-able-to-access-hotmail-from-the/ac61b523-2f4c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Do you have a security program installed that may already have the homepage locked so that any attempt to change it fails?

Best regards.