PDA

View Full Version : Spybot cannot detect internet connection nor can any of my other security programs

adlepate
2015-12-13, 18:08
...nor can any of my other security progs.

After learning of a new layer of protection available from a MAJOR security player I blithely installed it. Every app opened after that was deemed 'protected'. After deciding that the continuing popups were more intrusive than I cared for, and that it was probably over the top for my needs, I uninstalled it. It was a few days before I realized that I was unable to load all but one of my browsers and that none of my security programs could get out of my box. I live in the hinterlands with poor connectivity and had been ascribing my difficulties to this frequent pain. Fact is, they have all been 'blinded.'

Deleted host file, scanned with everything at my disposal (none of which could be updated) as well as online scanners. Have been poking around for insight as time allows, but can't figure. I suspected port blocking, or perhaps alteration of GroupSec, but have insufficient skill/knowledge to know what I'm looking for.

Any insight welcome as all my other gear is down during an extended remodel and this lousy laptop is all I have at the moment.

tashi
2015-12-14, 18:56
Hello adlepate,

Sorry to hear of the problem, it appears you need assistance troubleshooting your connection.

A tech site is a good place to start: Networking (http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=128)

Register as you did here and start a topic in that forum. :)

Best regards.

adlepate
2015-12-15, 20:05
As stated, I thought that was the issue. Fact is, my sorry connection works as poorly as ever when I load an existing program/browser that wasn't loaded and 'protected'. Even many programs downloaded after the fact that need to phone home for activation can't 'see' my connection. Whatever Malwarebytes did, it seems to be persistent as I sacrificed a couple of proggies I wanted to keep with System Restore, to no effect.

This does not affect all internet or I wouldn't be here now, but I can't get here on Firefox, IE, nor two versions of Chrome. Only Waterfox and Canary, which I hadn't been using lately, still connect. I keep, utilize and update my security more than most people email, and each of these is now blocked from accessing the net. They might as well be sandboxed. What really disturbs me is the blocking of programs loaded after a complete removal, registry purge and every other thing my currently debilitated mental capacity allowed me to attempt. What kind of settings could be so permanent that uninstallation and system restore cannot correct?

I can follow instructions on just about anything, but at the moment am a bit limited on my ability to comprehend the ins and outs of GroupSec and other deeper tech that I had not previously learned. God willing this will pass, but at the moment I am a bit hamstrung. Until I can unpack my other rigs again I don't even have an external hard drive to back up to, so am loathe to risk 'bricking' my only net access. At the same time, its Xmas on line and I worry with every small purchase I make.

tashi
2015-12-15, 22:08
Hello adlepate,

As stated, I thought that was the issue. Fact is, my sorry connection works as poorly as ever when I load an existing program/browser that wasn't loaded and 'protected'. Even many programs downloaded after the fact that need to phone home for activation can't 'see' my connection. Whatever Malwarebytes did, it seems to be persistent as I sacrificed a couple of proggies I wanted to keep with System Restore, to no effect.

This does not affect all internet or I wouldn't be here now, but I can't get here on Firefox, IE, nor two versions of Chrome. Only Waterfox and Canary, which I hadn't been using lately, still connect. I keep, utilize and update my security more than most people email, and each of these is now blocked from accessing the net. They might as well be sandboxed. What really disturbs me is the blocking of programs loaded after a complete removal, registry purge and every other thing my currently debilitated mental capacity allowed me to attempt. What kind of settings could be so permanent that uninstallation and system restore cannot correct?

I can follow instructions on just about anything, but at the moment am a bit limited on my ability to comprehend the ins and outs of GroupSec and other deeper tech that I had not previously learned. God willing this will pass, but at the moment I am a bit hamstrung. Until I can unpack my other rigs again I don't even have an external hard drive to back up to, so am loathe to risk 'bricking' my only net access. At the same time, its Xmas on line and I worry with every small purchase I make.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than posting in the Malwarebytes forum (https://forums.malwarebytes.org/) or asking an independent tech for assistance via the link I gave previously. :)