PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Things Going On With The "Post Win10 Spybot-install.exe" Update

Travasaurus
2016-01-26, 22:32
For months now I've been using the file that appears on your desktop after updating to Windows 10, "Post Win10 Spybot-install.exe", running it as a stand-alone program for clean installs as well as upgrades and it's worked flawlessly each and every time. It's apparently a "lite" app which, when run, downloads and installs the necessary files; it is not a self-contained program. Yesterday I did a clean install of Windows 10 Professional (32-bit, which is what I always use) and it suddenly quit working. The normal splash screen came up and it acted like it was going to download the program files but it finished in a few seconds (with no error message) but in fact all it did was create a "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2" directory with 1 file in it (I always run it as "Administrator", by the way). I deleted the installation folder (there was nothing to actually uninstall) and re-ran it several times but the same thing happened. Finally I found a link and downloaded what I hope is the latest stand-alone version, 2.5.42.0 and it ran and installed just fine. Now after all that, the original "upgrade" file, "Post Win10 Spybot-install.exe" seems to be working normally again; what gives? Is version 2.5.42.0 in fact the latest version? Also, as a side-note, that same "upgrade" file (again, Post Win10 Spybot-install.exe) appeared on my desktop after installing the latest version 2.5.42.0; why is that necessary after an obvious upgrade to the most recent version? Thanks and standing by...