PDA

View Full Version : Can't bring up settings or finish scans

brucehvn
2016-02-20, 04:51
I have a client who runs Spybot on his machine every week. He was running Windows 8.1 and everything was fine. A few weeks ago, he upgraded to Windows 10 and we ran the Post Win 10 installer. As part of the upgrade process we had to convert his local Admin account to a Microsoft account. Not sure if that had anything to do with the issues, but the first thing he noticed was that when doing a full scan, the bar would go to 99% and then never finish.

I searched the forums here and saw some responses that said we needed to go into settings, turn off all the scans except one, then run a scan to completion, and turn back on the other scans. I wanted to try that, but I could not bring up the settings. It would give me the UAC dialog, where I would say "yes", but then nothing. I tried doing an uninstall of Spybot, then re-installing, but had the same problem. The last time I tried it, I noticed after awhile that the computer was running really slow. I checked task manager and saw that the Spybot settings actually was in the task list and taking up huge amounts of CPU. So it seems that it's not that the settings aren't coming up, it's that they are getting hung.

Now the weird part is that if I login to the machine with my account (which was a Microsoft account from the start), I have no problem bringing up the settings dialog, or getting scans to go through to completion. So that tells me it doesn't seem to be an issue with the machine itself, but with the user account. If I uninstall Spybot again, how can I make sure that any and all info specific to the user is removed before I install it again?

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

tashi
2016-03-01, 05:39
Hello brucehvn,

Did you request a support ticket: https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/technical/

Best regards.