PDA

View Full Version : detections and updates

johnwrites
2005-12-03, 19:14
I have installed SpybotS&D version 1.4. It had no detections installed when downloaded and I am now updating. I understand I will get the update from 2 december the 1MB size and also an immunization of 365 KB. But will this include the detections and updates that were released since 1.4 was released or do I have to manually download and install each one from the site?

Also I am not downloading the English help files I assume these are for language reasons and not critical to security?

Thanksin advance for any reply

johnwrites

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-03, 20:24
The updates are cumulative (i.e. the latest update contains the all of the required updates).

I recommend that you don't second guess the authors of the program by selectively picking and choosing among the updates. There is a reason that they updated those files. These are the latest English language related updates, I suggest that you just download them:
English descriptions - English target descriptions file (54 KB) - 2005-11-25
English help - English help file (181 KB) - 2005-08-26
English help for TeaTimer - English help file for TeaTimer addon (34 KB) - 2005-07-25
English language - Updated English language file (22 KB) - 2005-12-02

johnwrites
2005-12-03, 20:50
Thanks for reply. I have now updated the detections and the immunization and will follow your advice re the others. Some are not ticked when the screen appears so I though they were optional.

One more thing the Resident icon says 0 processes blacklisted even though i have updated, where do I blacklist bad processes

Regards
johnwrites

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-03, 21:32
If you pass the cursor over the TeaTimer system tray icon the following should appear:
Spybot-S&D Resident
1173 processes blacklisted
The number should read 1173 and I believe the number represents the number of bad processes that TeaTimer monitors and will terminate if detected. The process that TeaTimer protects against are stored in the following file:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\ProcWatch.sbs
The file properties are:
Type of file: Spyware supplemental file
Size: 67.8 KB (69,516 bytes)
Created: Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 3:28:48 PM

CRC-32: DC48B424
MD5: E15D93E3C774F42DAFCB3384221C3D67
If the file looks ok, try to recycle TeaTimer and see if the number of "processes blacklisted" gets updated.
To stop TeaTimer:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer should close.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

johnwrites
2005-12-04, 16:49
If you pass the cursor over the TeaTimer system tray icon the following should appear:
Spybot-S&D Resident
1173 processes blacklisted
The number should read 1173 and I believe the number represents the number of bad processes that TeaTimer monitors and will terminate if detected. The process that TeaTimer protects against are stored in the following file:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\ProcWatch.sbs
The file properties are:
Type of file: Spyware supplemental file
Size: 67.8 KB (69,516 bytes)
Created: Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 3:28:48 PM

CRC-32: DC48B424
MD5: E15D93E3C774F42DAFCB3384221C3D67
If the file looks ok, try to recycle TeaTimer and see if the number of "processes blacklisted" gets updated.
To stop TeaTimer:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer should close.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Thanks I have this sorted now.

When I deleted Spybot 1.3 including the C:\Programs Files folder I restarted.But when I installed the 1.4 version it had history of values allowed/denied going back to last February in the Resident window under Advanced mode.SD helper and TeaTimer are checked. Where did it get them? Registry? Sorry if this part should be in a new thread.

Thanks again for your help sorting this out
johnwrites

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-04, 17:44
... when I installed the 1.4 version it had history of values allowed/denied going back to last February in the Resident window ...
That information is not normally deleted and would not have caused the problem. The logs, recovery files from fixes, etc. are retained when you uninstall as indicated here:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:
Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ (Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties) (instructions).

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they've experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.

johnwrites
2005-12-04, 17:56
OK I understand now :)