PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the SDTray.exe for?

martian_23
2016-11-27, 17:59
Hi

I'm asking because it seems to be the cause of an irritating phenomenon on my computer: After some time of operation the mouse cursor begins to get nervous and show heavy activity for the fraction of a second in a rhythm of mostly 12 seconds, sometimes less. The Task Manager shows a rhythmically disappearing and reappearing dllhost.exe as the cause. The process can't be stopped. But when I stop the SDTray.exe, the problem disappears.

Now since there's no Spybot icon in the system tray anyway (other than the name seems to indicate), maybe I could remove the SDTray.exe from the system start processes. Or would I lose some important function by doing so?

Thanks for any help!

Zenobia
2016-11-28, 01:53
Or would I lose some important function by doing so?
That depends, actually. Could you please tell me if you have Spybot 2(free edition), or if you have Spybot 2 + AV(paid version)? :)

martian_23
2016-11-28, 16:57
That depends, actually. Could you please tell me if you have Spybot 2(free edition), or if you have Spybot 2 + AV(paid version)? :)

I'm cheap. :red:

Zenobia
2016-11-29, 10:35
lol! :laugh: No, no, the only reason I ask is so I could explain how to still access Live Protection through the program if you needed to, since SDTray.exe is the main shortcut to it. Since you have the free edition, no need to worry about that. SDtray is mainly just a shortcut to things in the program, and you should be fine uninstalling it.
To stop sdtray from running on startup, open Spybot-S&D Start Center, checkmark Advanced User Mode, then click Settings(saying Yes to the UAC prompt,if applicable), click the System Integration tab. Down beside Tray Icon, click Stop, then click on the arrow to Uninstall it, then click apply and OK. If it's still showing after that,rightclick it and choose Exit.

martian_23
2016-11-29, 13:01
Many thanks, Zenobia! I've already done so and am happy. :D:

Zenobia
2016-11-30, 03:38
You're welcome. :)