PDA

View Full Version : Decisions

Langrenus
2016-12-18, 21:03
I currently have the free version of Spybot Search & Destroy. I am thinking of purchasing either the home or the professional edition. I am currently using Avast Pro on a two-month free trial, and had intended to purchase same. Are the two compatible? Are there redundancies? Do I need both in order to cover malware and viruses. I am a bit confused as to the capabilities and limitations of the two, and would like some help in making a determination as to what application or combination would best suit my needs. Thank you in advance.

tashi
2016-12-19, 00:41
Hello Langrenus, :welcome:

I currently have the free version of Spybot Search & Destroy. I am thinking of purchasing either the home or the professional edition. I am currently using Avast Pro on a two-month free trial, and had intended to purchase same. Are the two compatible? Are there redundancies? Do I need both in order to cover malware and viruses. I am a bit confused as to the capabilities and limitations of the two, and would like some help in making a determination as to what application or combination would best suit my needs. Thank you in advance.

Rule of thumb is one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same files at the same time.

FAQ: https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/live-protection-is-conflicting-with-my-other-av-program/

Usually one can have more than one anti-spyware, anti-malware type programs installed without issue, although one may decide to choose one resident real time protection.

Best regards.