PDA

View Full Version : 'SDUpdSvc.exe - Application Error' on XP SP3 shutdown

Frankenstien
2017-02-16, 19:47
Hey all ... I searched 'SDUpdSvc.exe - Application Error' on Google & here to see if I can get rid of an annoying error message on shutdown of XP Pro SP3 32-bit.

The closest I could find here was this (https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?73897-SDUpSvc-Error-on-Shut-Down&highlight=SDUpdSvc.exe+-+Application+Error).

Unfortunately, that thread poster seemingly solved his issue by scanning & fixing with Spybot - S & D, however, there must have been more to it (root cause[s]) than that.

My Spybot - S & D is Version 2.3.39.0, Start Center 2.3.39.130, Update 2.3.39.94 (interestingly, System Scan is Version 2.4.40.0, Malware Scanner 2.4.40.181).

FYI - I know XP is no longer supported by Microsoft (this Toshiba Satellite Pro notebook PC [P200-S03] is an emergency-use PC to cover for my main Win 7 PC that suffered an HDD failure) ... on this notebook I also run the latest (for XP) ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 14.3.119.000 (, Vsmon version: 14.3.119.0, Driver version: 14.3.119.0, Antivirus engine version: 8.7.0.66, Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1246772384), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Free) 2.2.1.1043 & SpywareBlaster Version 5.5 .

Here's a photo of the error:

There must be a simple shutdown cleanup / timing issue at play here ... or ?

Thanks, FFF

Zenobia
2017-02-16, 23:29
Sorry to hear about your hdd failure on your windows 7 computer.

Let's see....SDUpdSvc.exe is the "Spybot-S&D 2 Background update service". Instead of trying anything with that first, though, I do see that Spybot on Windows XP is supported up to Spybot 2.4:
https://www.safer-networking.org/about/compatibility/
There are also recommended hardware requirements listed below, so you can look at those and see if your Windows XP has those, and if so, would you like to try uninstalling Spybot 2.3 and then downloading and installing Spybot 2.4? It might not correct the SDUpdSvc.exe - Application Error at shutdown, but it also might be worth a try. :)
If so, there is a mirrors page for Spybot free edition here:
https://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors24/

Frankenstien
2017-02-17, 19:13
Hey Zenobia ... thanks for helpin' me out ... yeah the Win 7 thing has been a major pain ... Seagate Constellation ES.3 (ST1000NM0033-9ZM) made in Thailand ... watch out ... 1,400,000 hours MTBF my ass, more like 30,000 hours ...

Anyways, unfortunately, I no longer have the Spybot - S & D installation EXE file (used to install this instance) to look at ... I have d'l'd spybot-2.4.exe from Safer-Networking Ltd. #1 (mirror), so, I can now (re-)run it if and as required. I'm surprised there are no CRC32, MD5 or SHA-1 hashes offered at the Safer-Networking.org mirror for file verification.

I think the h/w requirements you pointed me to are met by this notebook PC ... Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (T7250 @ 2.00GHz - that should trump a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or higher CPU - right?) with 3.00 GB of RAM visible to the OS (of 4.00GB physically installed), and, at last check, 30,149 MB of disk space left on the system disk.

So, just to clarify, my current Spybot - S & D installation on this notebook seems to use a mixture of version # components ... if you noticed what I posted yesterday, System Scan is Version 2.4.40.0 (Malware Scanner 2.4.40.181) while other components are 2.3.39.0 (Start Center [2.3.39.130], File Scan [2.3.39.135], Immunization [2.3.39.130], Quarantine [2.3.39.103], Update [2.3.39.94], Report Creator [2.3.39.107], Settings [2.3.39.139], Startup Tools [2.3.39.157], Rootkit Scan [2.3.39.116] & OpenSBI Editor [2.3.39.39]) - does this mean I actually do have Version 2.4.40 on this notebook ... or ... is my mixed installation an anomaly?

As far as the SDUpdSvc.exe service itself is concerned, I am wondering why it is running all the time anyways ... I have the free version of Spybot - S & D and have to manually update it periodically ... perhaps I should change the service Startup type to Manual? Or make changes on the Recovery tab? (see below)

Thanks again for the help eh? ... FFF

Zenobia
2017-02-18, 05:05
You're welcome. :)

No, the different version numbers are normal to have. And the ones you have indicate you have an older version, if you would like to try updating.

As far as the SDUpdSvc.exe service itself is concerned, I am wondering why it is running all the time anyways ... I have the free version of Spybot - S & D and have to manually update it periodically ... perhaps I should change the service Startup type to Manual? Or make changes on the Recovery tab? (see below)

That was going to be my next suggestion, actually, stopping the background update service. You can do that through Spybot normally, though I'm not sure if that works on Windows XP. (I think I remember having to go directly into Services on my XP, but I might be misremembering that.) Might as well check it out, though. To stop the service through Spybot, you can open Start Center, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, select the System Services tab. Beside Updating Service, if you're able to, press the down arrow, then select Stop, and uncheck Active after every reboot. After you're done, click Apply, and then OK.
If the button beside Updating service isn't selectable, please let me know.

Frankenstien
2017-02-18, 18:42
Hmmm ... I looked at Spybot - S & D 2.4 (Free) on a Win 10 Pro 64-bit OS (on a Lenovo ThinkPad P70 notebook PC) and all components are 2.4.40.0/nnn ...

Then I looked at Spybot - S & D 2.4 (Free) on a Win XP Pro 32-bit OS on a different Toshiba Satellite (L300D-01Q) notebook PC I have and I find the same mix of versions as I found on this Satellite Pro (P200-S03) as reported here yesterday ... interesting ... I wish I still had the installation EXE to compare to the new one (2.4 [Free]) I d'l'd yesterday.
Almost seems like the mix is by design (perhaps for XP only?) ...

Anyways, I followed your advice Zenobia ... in Settings (Advanced User Mode) of my (2.3.39.0/nnn / 2.4.40.0/nnn mix) installation of Spybot - S & D on this P200-S03 machine, there is the ability to Stop or Start the Updating (or Scanner) Service(s), and, to select or deselect 'Active after every reboot.'.

However, I found the manual Update functionality will not work without the Updating Service running.

Of note for my particular issue - the first time I used the Settings > Stop button for the Updating Service, I got a series (8~) of the same 'SDUpdSvc.exe - Application Error' message I uploaded a photo of in my original post ... the only slight difference for each being the referenced memory "address". The Updating Service reStarted from the Settings interface w/o complaint and produced only one identical type (vis-a-vis instruction "address") of error message (attached) on a subsequent Stop command ... thereafter, it would Start and Stop w/o complaint, albeit this was all in the same session ... I would need to go thru a few reboot cycles to observe behaviour from this point forward ... for now, I'll leave both Services enabled in Settings with 'Active after every reboot.' selected and see what happens in the short term.

Whaddyer' think? FFF

Zenobia
2017-02-19, 06:39
I have different version numbers on different components of Spybot and I'm on Windows 10. I'm not sure why that is, and the Lenovo Windows 10 shows 2.4.40.0/nnn on the components that you viewed. (Perhaps Spybot is playing a very, very early April Fool's joke on us.) :D:

Yes, leaving both services enabled with active after every reboot and seeing what happens probably is good for the short term. Checkmarking active after every reboot should set the service to automatic. If you were to uncheck it, that should set the service to manual. With that, you might get the same errors as when you stopped the service every time you go into Spybot update.

If you continue to get the SDUpdSvc.exe errors, there's also the option to uninstall the updating service when you press the down arrow beside Updating Service. Then the manual detection updates could be downloaded every Wednesday(under Other Downloads):
https://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
I know that's not ideal, though, but it's something to consider.

Please let me know if you continue to see the error.

Also, perhaps you'd like to take a peek in Event Viewer under System. Are there any errors there listed that seem related to the Updating Service? They could possibly be listed as Service Control Manager under Source.
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_event_viewer.mspx?mfr=true

Frankenstien
2017-02-23, 23:16
Just thought I'd get back to this thread of mine with news of an unwelcome recurrence of my issue ... on a recent system shutdown, I once again got a series (8~) of the same 'SDUpdSvc.exe - Application Error' message I uploaded a photo (Attachment 12829 (https://forums.spybot.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=12829)) / screenshot (Attachment 12832 (https://forums.spybot.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=12832)) of in my original / 09:42 18FEB17 posts ... the only slight difference for each being the referenced memory "address".

I have looked at Event Viewer > System and didn't see reference to these errors ... FYI - the System category EVT file has gone corrupt on me twice now ... I found a way to repair the SysEvent.EVT file (see here (http://www.stevebunting.org/udpd4n6/forensics/repaireventlogfile.htm) and here (http://www.murphey.org/fixevt.html)), however, it has since gone corrupt on me again, even though I had changed the max. file size from 512KB to 4,096KB and 'Overwrite events as needed' to 'Do not overwrite events (clear log manually)'.

Interestingly, 'Spybot - Search and Destroy' appears as a seperate Event Viewer category, however, there are 0 events listed.

At this point, I guess since I need to leave the Updating Service running in order to successfully update Spybot - S & D, I'll just have to live with the shutdown errors ... annoying as they are, they're not gonna' kill me.

Thanks Zenobia for all your help with this ... FFF

Zenobia
2017-02-24, 00:21
You're welcome. :)

You could contact Spybot support, maybe they have a solution to the error:
https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

Frankenstien
2017-03-02, 05:43
Just checking in to my thread ... I did an uninstall of the mixed versions and re-installed a known good 2.4 pkg. ... here's hoping that's the end of this issue. Will advise. FFF

Zenobia
2017-03-03, 18:59
Good. Hope all goes well and the error is gone, please let me know. :)

Frankenstien
2017-03-11, 00:21
Zenobia ... was asked by webmaster@spybot.info to come in here and change my password ... anyways, so far so good with my mitigation measure for the issue I had that we discussed.
Thanks again for all your help, and, best regards,
FFF

Zenobia
2017-03-11, 01:12
Yes, I was notified when I logged in a few days ago to change my password too, because it hadn't been changed in a long time(1060 days or similar, I think it said.)
Good, I'm glad all is well. You're welcome, and best regards to you, too. :)