PDA

View Full Version : Spybot freezing at post install update

shane49
2017-02-26, 04:57
I was having troubles with Spybot 2.5.42.0 freezing when it was performing updates, so I uninstalled it, deleted the program file directory, downloaded the software again and reinstalled it. Imagine how annoyed I am to find that after the install, it is executing the post-install updates, and is darned well freezing ...

[01:34.357] [+] Extracted "spybotsd2-install-bdupd-2017a.exe-2.6.52.0.lzs"!
[01:34.620] [+] Installed "spybotsd2-install-bdupd-2017a.exe".
[01:34.889] [+] File "spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe" needs to be downloaded.

I repeated this process on my laptop, and it is now in the same state. Both the desktop and laptop are running Windows 10, Version 1607 Build 14393.693

I have been a loyal user of Spybot S&D for years & years, but now, as it does not seen to be capable of proceeding any further, I am about to give it the proverbial "kick-in-the-arse" right off my machines.

Zenobia
2017-02-26, 05:24
This article is about Spybot freezing during updates. It includes a direct update link, in which updates can be downloaded manually:
https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/why-does-spybot-sd-freeze-when-doing-an-update-2/

shane49
2017-02-26, 05:38
This article is about Spybot freezing during updates. It includes a direct update link, in which updates can be downloaded manually:
https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/why-does-spybot-sd-freeze-when-doing-an-update-2/

Thanks for that, but the "direct-update-link" in the above redirected page just sends me in a loop to the post again.

shane49
2017-02-26, 05:40
Thanks for that, but the "direct-update-link" in the above redirected page just sends me in a loop to the post again.

Ah, I had not noticed that the link actually triggers off a download which Chrome was asking me to Keep or Discard. Apologies for getting the wrong idea.

Zenobia
2017-02-28, 02:50
No problem. Did you get the manual updates installed ok? :)

tungfuguru
2017-02-28, 21:31
No problem. Did you get the manual updates installed ok? :)

... crossing two fingers.

tungfuguru
2017-02-28, 21:49
... crossing two fingers.

Update: Hard to tell if it is worked. The manual installer went through as promised, and said completed, although Win10 says the programme might not have installed correctly and offered compatibility mode.

Opening Spybot again and running update sees the update freeze on the same file as above, i.e. iefreeze, rather than as might be expected, to say all up to date?

However I guess that could be the servers are still overloaded as per your manual install page.

(m/f)
2017-03-01, 09:21
Hi, You could look into your Spybot\Includes folder and sort files by date to see from which date the latest files are. This could help determine if anything at all was updated. Thank you.

circe801
2017-03-01, 14:25
found this while attempting to see if it had already been posted.
i was surprised to see someone else having same exact problem--and very recently.
intital update freezing on exact same item-- File "spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe" needs to be downloaded.
followed instructions, but the manual update doesn't seem to include initial definitions files.
i also got the "program might not have installed correctly" message.
same. exact. problem.
and after 'manual update', initial update still freezing on same (ironic) ...iefreeze... entry.
that entry is not present in includes file.
somehow i get the feeling that others will follow that are having the same issue.
thans for any additional advice...

circe801
2017-03-01, 14:46
hey, shane49--try this.
just for shits and giggles, i opened spybot S&D again and right clicked on 'update' and hit 'run as adminstrator'.
after status check, i hit 'update' and, voilą--update completed--with a quickness.
hope it works for you as well!!

tungfuguru
2017-03-02, 04:50
Hi, You could look into your Spybot\Includes folder and sort files by date to see from which date the latest files are. This could help determine if anything at all was updated. Thank you.

Yup, latest update was today, but nothing referring to spybotsd2-windows-upgrade-installer.exe ... happy to post a screengrab or whatever else you need. Also tried running as admin right click from interface, as suggested below by ...? sorry, missing user name, but still freezing on the installer file (last five minutes). I did (I think) notice that a couple of files downloaded and updated before it got stuck again.

(m/f)
2017-03-02, 09:58
Hi, screenshots would be nice. Maybe one one of the failed update, one of the folder, one of update details where it shows what is still missing. Did you post your OS by the way? I did not read that yet. Thank you.

DarrellS
2017-03-02, 12:12
I'm also getting this problem, whether I run as Administrator or not, on Windows 10. Last few lines of the "Checking for antispyware updates ..." window are

[01:26.814] [+] Extracted "spybotsd2-install-bdupd-2017a.exe-2.6.52.0.lzs"!
[01:27.360] [+] Installed "spybotsd2-install-bdupd-2017a.exe".
[01:27.751] [+] File "spybotsd2-install-iefreezefix.exe" needs to be downloaded.

Let me know if more info would help

(m/f)
2017-03-02, 13:31
Hi, you could also have a look into the folder "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\Updates\Extracts". If the file was downloaded at any point, it should be stored there and can be run manually. I just downloaded the file without any problem. Sorry to hear that some people experience difficulties like this.

DarrellS
2017-03-02, 14:21
Hi, you could also have a look into the folder "Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\Updates\Extracts". If the file was downloaded at any point, it should be stored there and can be run manually. I just downloaded the file without any problem. Sorry to hear that some people experience difficulties like this.

No, it's not in there.

DarrellS
2017-03-04, 17:18
No, it's not in there.

Any progress on this ?

(m/f)
2017-03-06, 08:58
@ DarrellS: Sorry, I wanted to wait for others to reply to shed some light... The file is too big to attach it here. I suggest opening a support ticket with a request to send you the file and copy this into the folder manually. Please also report here if this solved the problem. Thank you.

talesoftofu
2017-03-12, 19:22
Made an account just to help as i was struggling with this for a good 10 mins of my life.

To get it to work you have let it update till it gets stuck

CLOSE the updater then relaunch it again....wait for it to stop then press the update button AGAIN it will then download what ever its stuck at and proceed to get stuck at something else xD

just rinse and repeat till its fully updated

The key is noticing when you can press the update button again. if you can't then you need to restart the updater. simple

DarrellS
2017-03-17, 18:22
Made an account just to help as i was struggling with this for a good 10 mins of my life.

CLOSE the updater then relaunch it again....wait for it to stop then press the update button AGAIN it will then download what ever its stuck at and proceed to get stuck at something else xD

The key is noticing when you can press the update button again. if you can't then you need to restart the updater. simple

Apologies for being away - lots of other stuff going on. Many thanks for this, it seems to have done the trick.

zielinsky
2017-04-17, 04:10

ESTE CONSEJO FUNCIONA. Cuando se traba (necesita instalar iefreezefix.exe, cerrar el updater, volver a actualizar y avanza

THIS SUGGESTION WORKS WELL

Xeir087
2017-04-28, 00:07
Just for shits and giggles, i opened spybot S&D again and right clicked on 'update' and hit 'run as adminstrator'.
after status check, i hit 'update' and, voilą--update completed--with a quickness.
hope it works for you as well!!

I tried the manual download and that didn't help I thin did as stated above and it worked instantly.