PDA

View Full Version : Live Protection System Could Not Be Installed Error

ajMD89
2017-05-13, 17:19
I recently saw that my Live Protection was not working. I went on this forum but could only find some posts regarding this issue from 2013 and the workthrough didn't work.

I uninstalled Live Protection and tried to reinstall it, but I keep getting an error message after I click 'Install Live Protection'. I keep getting an error message saying "Live Protection System Driver could not be installed"

Any suggestions?12862

ajMD89
2017-05-13, 17:59
Registered and was able to see the thread dealing with this issue....

tashi
2017-05-13, 18:10
Hello ajMD89,

Please see the topic in Announcements: https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?74547-Spybot-Digital-Signature-Publisher-Unknown

This has caused issues the developers are working hard to resolve as soon as possible.

Best regards.

drpubdef
2017-05-17, 19:03
Long time user and lover of Spybot. Have had successful use of Live Protection for some time. Noticed yellow flag indicator. Checked and it said that LP was loaded but not active. Tried to activate and received the error code that Live Protection could not be activated. Tried previous thread's restart and uninstall/reinstall procedures but nothing worked. Now says cannot be installed. Saw last response in this thread and followed link but it talked about an Unknown publisher error???

Anymouse
2017-05-21, 02:28
Long time user and lover of Spybot. Have had successful use of Live Protection for some time. Noticed yellow flag indicator. Checked and it said that LP was loaded but not active. Tried to activate and received the error code that Live Protection could not be activated. Tried previous thread's restart and uninstall/reinstall procedures but nothing worked. Now says cannot be installed. Saw last response in this thread and followed link but it talked about an Unknown publisher error???

I recently purchased Spybot+AV Home Edition. After working out a few bugs (mostly related to my wife's computer on our home network), I hummed along happily until 1:30 this morning (GMT -7).

When the update service was done running, the yellow flag appeared in the Live Protection notification. I could not start Live Protection from the menu. Like you, it now says it cannot be installed.

I am not a computer whiz (I just use them on TV) so I have no idea how to fix this unless I get instructions in words of three syllables or less. My suspicion is something in the update this morning broke Spybot.

Zenobia
2017-05-21, 05:09
I don't know for certain Anymouse, but I would assume the live protection not being able to be started would be due to the certificate issue that tashi posted a link to, since people have been posting about live protection since the certificate issue started. This was posted by feeks:
https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?74548-Live-Protection-amp-Security-Service-will-not-run&p=475777&viewfull=1#post475777
I don't think there are any instructions posted on the forums to get it running at the moment. The page tashi linked to has a link at the bottom to contact team spybot for technical issues, you could try that if you like. :)

Anymouse
2017-05-22, 09:28
I don't know for certain Anymouse, but I would assume the live protection not being able to be started would be due to the certificate issue that tashi posted a link to, since people have been posting about live protection since the certificate issue started. This was posted by feeks:
https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?74548-Live-Protection-amp-Security-Service-will-not-run&p=475777&viewfull=1#post475777
I don't think there are any instructions posted on the forums to get it running at the moment. The page tashi linked to has a link at the bottom to contact team spybot for technical issues, you could try that if you like. :)

I found a "contact" link at the bottom of that page, but it is only for forum issues.

What I do see is a whole lot of people this month complaining of the same problem in that thread, with no resolution to the problem and no response from the folks who run Safer Networking.

This does not lead me to believe that I am going to get much in the way of help myself, particularly since my knowledge of computers is so thin.

The other link refers to a problem with digital certificates for recent purchases, and as I understand how they explain it, that causes warnings about downloads being from an unknown publisher. That message has nothing to do with my problem and many other people's with Live Protection being off, and being unable to turn it on.
https://www.safer-networking.org/2017/spybot-digital-signature-publisher-unknown/ (message in question concerning digital signatures)

It now looks as though I paid for software that does not work. Without a resolution to this problem apparently caused by a simple update to Spybot, that makes for an unhappy customer. If this is not resolved, I will need to look elsewhere for software. That is a shame. (It is a thousand times easier to keep a new customer happy than to win one back.)

Zenobia
2017-05-23, 11:00
I see the confusion. I linked to feeks post because I liked the way they explained what was going on, and I didn't mean it for a contact link. :)

When I typed on past that, I was referring to tashi's post a couple posts up, which is the same link you posted:
https://www.safer-networking.org/2017/spybot-digital-signature-publisher-unknown/
That link has a link for technical issues at the bottom of the article, that you could use if you like.

The other link refers to a problem with digital certificates for recent purchases, and as I understand how they explain it, that causes warnings about downloads being from an unknown publisher. That message has nothing to do with my problem and many other people's with Live Protection being off, and being unable to turn it on.

I would presume that the problems with digital certificates is the cause in part for so many people's live protection being partial, since it has been happening seemingly along with the certificate issues, though I don't know that with complete certainty, of course. But you could ask about it if you click the technical support link.

Anymouse
2017-06-27, 14:52
I see the confusion. I linked to feeks post because I liked the way they explained what was going on, and I didn't mean it for a contact link. :)

When I typed on past that, I was referring to tashi's post a couple posts up, which is the same link you posted:
https://www.safer-networking.org/2017/spybot-digital-signature-publisher-unknown/
That link has a link for technical issues at the bottom of the article, that you could use if you like.

I would presume that the problems with digital certificates is the cause in part for so many people's live protection being partial, since it has been happening seemingly along with the certificate issues, though I don't know that with complete certainty, of course. But you could ask about it if you click the technical support link.

My problem is not with live protection being partial. It is with live protection being off, and when I try to turn it on, Spybot says there is no driver installed.

If I completely uninstall Spybot from my computer, then use the download link E-mailed to me when I purchased it, can I get the driver, or is there an easier way to do that? I am starting to become exasperated with this whole program, and am beginning to consider another option.

Help on getting that driver would be appreciated here. I am not a computer whiz so if it isn't in words small enough for a non-software engineer to understand it will go over my head. (My wife is a software engineer and she can't understand why Spybot is doing this on my computer.)

I need a real simple set of instructions (like my car operator's manual for my car): Do A. Do B. &c. If A is uninstall and reinstall Spybot I can do that. If there is a place I can get that driver, point me in the right direction, please.

ajMD89
2017-06-27, 15:41
My problem is not with live protection being partial. It is with live protection being off, and when I try to turn it on, Spybot says there is no driver installed.

If I completely uninstall Spybot from my computer, then use the download link E-mailed to me when I purchased it, can I get the driver, or is there an easier way to do that? I am starting to become exasperated with this whole program, and am beginning to consider another option.

Help on getting that driver would be appreciated here. I am not a computer whiz so if it isn't in words small enough for a non-software engineer to understand it will go over my head. (My wife is a software engineer and she can't understand why Spybot is doing this on my computer.)

I need a real simple set of instructions (like my car operator's manual for my car): Do A. Do B. &c. If A is uninstall and reinstall Spybot I can do that. If there is a place I can get that driver, point me in the right direction, please.

My 2 cents... just reinstall it. Since they updated Spybot recently (within the past month?) my live protection has been fixed and I have had no issues whatsoever.

Zenobia
2017-06-28, 04:01
I saw that another person was also able to get Live Protection to work by reinstalling a while back:
https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?74548-Live-Protection-amp-Security-Service-will-not-run&p=476058&viewfull=1#post476058
Thanks, ajMD89. :)

You could try that, Anymouse. If you run into any trouble along the way, or just prefer help along the way, you could contact Team Spybot:
https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/