PDA

View Full Version : Temporary File Cleaning

OldDogNewTricks
2017-06-20, 15:40
I'm new here and an "old dog" that came to computers/electronics late in life. I've been accused of knowing just enough to get myself in trouble. :sad: This is minor, however raises a flag with me; the temporary file cleaning function is not working as expected.

Up until 3 days ago, I had hundreds of temporary files cleaned, and the remaining 30 or so files were "in use". Now the exact opposite is occuring, nearly 450 files are "in use" and only 6-8 files are "cleaned". This is a stark difference and concerns me. I've been using Spybot for about 10 years, and this has never happened before.

Is this a program glitch? have I been invaded? No other symptoms of malfunction with my computer are evident. No crashing, no slowing down, no sudden strange behavior. Can anyone speak to this? Much gratitude and appreciation. :)

This happened with the previous version, while led me to update to the current version.

Zenobia
2017-06-21, 01:43
Sometimes temp files show as in use because a program is using them. Have you installed anything new lately? If so, that might possibly account for more temp files being in use. Maybe try rebooting your computer, shut down as many non-essential programs running as you can, and try deleting temp files again, and see if you are able to delete more temp files than previously. Please let me know how it goes. :)

OldDogNewTricks
2017-06-22, 15:22
Zenobia,

Thank you for your response. While the prior version of Spybot was installed, I had not added any new programs. Naturally, when the newer version was installed, that may have impacted a couple things. Maybe not, I don't know. I did reboot several times, and I am now going into History and clearing it out every 48 hours. That seems to be the solution, because now everything is back to normal. Only 7 temp files are "in use" and that's more like it. It's gotten as high as 32, but never more.

I appreciate your suggestions and look forward to becoming more literate, as I recognize I am always able to learn more. :red:

Zenobia
2017-06-22, 20:55
I'm glad the temp files in use are down to 7, that seems more reasonable.
You're welcome. Don't sell yourself short, you seem pretty computer literate to me. :)