PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning junk files from spybot.

TheOwner
2017-06-28, 17:43
I cant belive spybot dont delete old updates from download folder. This folder growing over time and mine is about 100 MB. So its safe delete whole content of this folder or it broke something? Is here also some other folders which should be deleted manualy? Also folder "etc" with host files backups grow up over time due host.backups files. So they are safe delete too? Thanks for answer.

Zenobia
2017-06-30, 04:45
I looked around the forums and the Spybot site to see if there was anything posted about deleting the Downloads folder content in the Spybot updates folder, and I couldn't find anything anywhere. But, I couldn't see any harm to deleting it's contents so I deleted mine and left it, and so far there are no ill effects. I did leave the Updates.uid file in the downloads folder, though, and if you deleted anything in there I'd suggest you leave the updates.uid file as well. If you delete the Downloads folder contents, I think it should be okay.
However, if you're unsure on that please get a second opinion. :)
https://www.safer-networking.org/support/ticket/

As for the host.backups files in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder, yes, I do semi-regularly delete those. I usually leave the most recently dated backup file in there, just in case.