PDA

View Full Version : How do I restore registry?

BOOFHEAD
2006-09-26, 09:36
I installed spybot and ran the program. After deleting all the files through the method it recomends, Miscrosoft Outlook no logner lets me go in, nor does 1 other program so far.

When installing, spybot says it will make a back of the registry in case i want to restore.

I would now like to restore the old registry settings it says it backed up, but cannot find them.

How do I find them?

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-26, 22:06
There are two options available that are a better choice than using the registry backups optionally created during the installation of Spybot:
Go into Spybot > Recovery > check the items that you want to restore > then clicking the "Restore selected" items button.
If you are running Windows ME or XP do a system restore to a point before the problems occurred.

In any case:

Optionally there are two files created as registry back-ups during the installation of Spybot-S&D:
regLocal.reg
regUsers.reg
The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
The two files are exported "REGEDIT4" type files if specific registry keys as follows:
regLocal.reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software]
regUsers.reg
[HKEY_USERS]
Personally, I have never heard of anyone using these back-ups, at least in their entirety. Once you've run your system for any period of time they would be outdated and could possibly do more harm than good to use.

Since they are .reg files, to use them all you would have to do is double on the file(s) and Registry Editor should start. If you then clicked "Yes" the content of the file would be added/merged into the registry. You then click "OK" to close the program.