PDA

View Full Version : Is TeaTimer worth the update; conflicts with XP & NIS?

Questy
2006-09-26, 23:05
My browser was hijacked with adware recently through visiting a malicious site even though my security setting were fairly high and "as recommended." Though it appears I avoided disaster by simply applying a system restore, I want to avoid this problem in the future.

A spywareinfo forum recommended Spybot S&D's Teatimer.
From reading, it seems like it would have prevented installation of the adware which poped up new browsers with "winantiviruspro" and many other sites.

I updated my 1.3 version but no tea timer feature available.
Do I need to uninstall and reinstall 1.4?

But before I do, I see a number of posts describing some problems and conflicts with the tea timer.

So any general feedback?
Is getting Tea Timer (I assume, by uninstalling spybot 1.3 and reinstalling with 1.4) worth the potential downsides, conflicts with Norton Internet Security 2006, & present and future XP Pro security updates?

Thanks for your comments,
Questy

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-26, 23:55
I am not going to try to answer your entire query, just a portion of it.

I updated my 1.3 version but no tea timer feature available.
Do I need to uninstall and reinstall 1.4?
Running TeaTimer was/is option under both Spybot-S&D 1.3 and 1.4.

Unless you are running on a Windows 95 system, I suggest that you upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.4 regardless of whether or not you decide to run TeaTimer, because you are not taking the full advantage of the ability of Spybot-S&D to detect and eliminate spyware unless you do.

Additional note: There are certain defects in TeaTimer with both Spybot-S&D 1.3 and 1.4 that should be explained if you decide to use TeaTimer. TeaTimer is not automatically enabled when you install Spybot-S&D 1.4. It is an elective option during the installation process and can be activated after the installation (exactly like it was in Spybot-S&D 1.3).

Questy
2006-09-27, 02:03
So, (notwithstanding the teatimer question) do I need to uninstall 1.3, download and install 1.4, (cause just "updating" 1.3 doesn't work)
thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-27, 06:06
The upgrade from Spybot 1.3 to 1.4 is not delivered through the integrated update facility. You should uninstall Spybot 1.3 first.

There are four (4) download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4 here:
Mirror Selection – The home of Spybot–S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.htmlInstall Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
Do not change the default installation path of:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Make sure that you update Sptbot-S&D 1.4 before running a scan.