PDA

View Full Version : Tea Timer icon missing

ikendonna
2005-12-04, 21:06
I recently noticed that my system tray Tea Timer icon has disappeared. I noticed it was gone when I tried to edit my Black List. I would like to know how to get the icon back, if possible without having to re-install. I am running Spybot 1.4, windows XP Home. Thanks...

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-04, 21:28
Try the following:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Check (if unchecked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

steve781
2006-01-01, 23:05
I have followed the advice given here, but I still cant see the teatimer icon and tehrefore cannot edit my blacklist.

I hope someone can help.

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-02, 00:09
steve781:

If you go into Windows Task Manager > Prosesses tab, is TeaTimer running?

What Windows OS are you running?

What version of Spybot are you running (Spybot > Help > About)?

steve781
2006-01-02, 02:48
Spybot version is 1.4, teatimer.exe is running under prosesses tab.

I have windows XP Home Edition (5.1).

md usa spybot fan
2006-01-02, 07:59
steve781:

If TeaTimer.exe is running I don't understand why the TeaTimer System Tray Icon is not being displayed. Please make sure that it is just not hidden (see attached thumbnail).

If you don't have a TeaTimer System Tray Icon, I suggest that you consider uninstalling and reinstalling.

As a last resort you can edit or delete the RegKeyBlack.sbe were the information is stored.
Start SpybotSD.exe.
Uncheck (if checked) the following:

Go into Windows Task Manager > Prosesses tab and make sure that TeaTimer is not running.
Exit Spybot.
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the RegKeyBlack.sbe file in one of the following locations:

Windows 95/98
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows ME
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows NT/2000/XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

Either delete the RegKeyBlack.sbe file or right click on the RegKeyBlack.sbe file and select Open With > select Notepad.
When you are done deleting or editing the file, start SpybotSD.exe.
Check the following:

steve781
2006-01-02, 08:07
Problem solved, thank you very much.

timreh
2006-07-02, 17:57
I do not have TeaTimer in my system tray, the problem started this morning.

I am using a gateway 798mhz with four cards of 128 sd ram, (identical), with windows xp home/service pack 2.

I have uninstalled spybot search and destroy and reinstalled it.

I have followed the following instructions:
----------------------------------------

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the RegKeyBlack.sbe file in one of the following locations:
Windows 95/98
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows ME
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows NT/2000/XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Either delete the RegKeyBlack.sbe file or right click on the RegKeyBlack.sbe file and select Open With > select Notepad.

-----------------------------------------

HOWEVER,

I do not have the regkeyblack.sbe file in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes

Please help me,
Thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-02, 18:15
timreh:

Please go into Spybot > Help > About. What version of Spybot are you running?

timreh
2006-07-03, 14:24
ooops sorry.

version 1.4
last updated 7/1/06

timreh
2006-07-03, 14:53
After startup, Tea Timer is not in my system tray. But if I use SS&D TOOLS to turn off tea timer and then to turn it back on, Tea timer appears in my system tray.

This is not consistent behaviour, after repeatedly restarting my computer it will occasionally appear in the system tray on start up, once in ten tries.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-03, 15:26
timreh:

If TeaTimer.exe is actually running and the system tray icon is not present, I really don't know how to explain the behavior.

As far as the missing regkeyblack.sbe file goes: The instructions concerning the editing/deleting the regkeyblack.sbe file that I gave to steve781 ( http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=2335) were because they could not edit their "blacklist" due to the missing system tray icon. If you don't have a regkeyblack.sbe file it is most likely because you never did a "Deny change" with a "Remember this decision".

timreh
2006-07-03, 18:14
since i installed it yesterday, that would be the reason.

k, so'now what?

timreh
2006-07-03, 18:28
SS&D worked fine on the system for 3 years. It is the VERY first thing that I did to the system when I turned it on, (or advise anyone to do when they ask me to help them turn on a new computer).

It was a difficult decision to uninstall SS&D and reinstall it. But I pulled the trigger, and the new installation is having the same problem as the first instillation, so we know there is some outside force working here, right?

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-03, 19:27
timreh:

since i installed it yesterday, that would be the reason.
The reason for what? If you are referring to the absence of the regkeyblack.sbe file, I tried to explain why that file may not be present. Uninstalling/reinstalling Spybot does not delete that file. See:
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:
Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

k, so'now what?
I don't know. As I indicated in my previous post:

If TeaTimer.exe is actually running and the system tray icon is not present, I really don't know how to explain the behavior.
Have you actually gone into Windows Task Manager > Processes tab and verified that TeaTimer is still running when the TeaTimer system tray icon is not present? Or is TeaTimer terminating (not running) and that is the reason the system tray icon is not present?

From your latest post:

… so we know there is some outside force working here, right?
Again, does it appear that TeaTimer is running without a system tray icon or is TeaTimer failing to start or being terminated after starting?

timreh
2006-07-03, 19:58
on a restart that does not include the system tray icon, the task manager shows that tea timer is present.

Kazuma
2007-04-22, 21:05
I also got this problem when I installed the windows xp yesterday,
however I don't have RegKeyBlack.sbe too, so I just remove my White list
"RegKeyWhite.sbe", everything alright after that. :bigthumb:

I think maybe the White/Black list problems, hope this will help you guys. :present:

HammerBot
2008-04-04, 22:55
When I start Spybot S&D, and goto Advanced Mode > Tools > System Startup, teatimer is listed as being at "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TeaTimer.exe". When I go to that folder, (in Windows Explorer,) I don't see it at all. (I have it set to show hidden files.)

In the Close Program window it often says Explorer isn't responding*, & I need to close it to avoid needing to completely reboot. It automatically restarts Explorer, but not all icons reappear in the system tray. To get them to reappear, I use the Close Program window to manually close those programs. (The programs are: Links2Tray, Money Express, and Teatimer.) Then, I double-click their icons on the desktop. Since teatimer doesn't have an icon in the "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY" folder, I can't restart teatimer. How can I start it without rebooting or logging out & back in?

(My OS is Windows ME.)

*This problem wasn't caused by Spybot S&D.

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-05, 11:01
HammerBot:

Some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Another way to proceed:

To Disable TeaTimer and stop its execution:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

To Enable TeaTimer and start it:
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

HammerBot
2008-04-07, 04:46
Thank you! :)

This was already done:

Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
:cool: When I did this, I could see (several more icons, including) the Teatimer icon:

Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
Before posting my message, above, I tried doing the following, but I still had to logout, (of my computer,) & back in, to get the teatimer icon back in the task tray.

Another way to proceed:

To Disable TeaTimer and stop its execution:
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

To Enable TeaTimer and start it:
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Once I got it to appear, I made a shortcut to it on the start menu. (I did return the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to its original setting when I was done.)

Scottthefish
2008-09-10, 20:22
I recently noticed that my system tray Tea Timer icon has disappeared. I noticed it was gone when I tried to edit my Black List. I would like to know how to get the icon back, if possible without having to re-install. I am running Spybot 1.4, windows XP Home. Thanks...

click start, run, and browse to:"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe". then click ok and teatimer will restart for you.
Not sure why OS turns it off. Probably interferes with another protection program

milkyway
2009-04-12, 03:25
If you still find that your teatimer system tray icon is missing, you can try this.

Ensure you are in "Mode"."Advanced Mode".

Go to "Tools"."Resident"

Examine the "Resident TeaTimer...Protection over-all system..." checkbox.

Regardless of whether it is checked or unchecked, just check and uncheck it until it is checked again. When I did this, the icon reappeared in my system tray.