PDA

View Full Version : Spybot "Not Responding" when trying to Fix Selected after a system scan

fatbellybinky
2018-05-25, 10:29
Hi All,
For several weeks now, Spybot (Free Edition) has been going into "Not Responding" mode when I select "Fix Selected" following a system scan. This is on a 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium system with all latest windows updated applied. I have updated to the latest 2.7 version of Spybot but that hasn't helped. Running the scan as Administrator doesn't help either. Having clicked on "Fix Selected" nothing much happens but clicking anywhere in the Spybot window results in the whole window greying out and the mouse pointer changes to a rotating blue circle. Sometimes it will eventually fix the selected hits after a very long wait (half an hour or more) but most times I have to close the window. Googling the problem throws up lots of hits but nothing recent and no solution to the problem.

Any ideas ?

tashi
2018-05-25, 16:04
Hello fatbellybinky, :welcome:

Sorry to hear of the problem, could you open a support ticket here (https://www.safer-networking.org/contact/spybot2/) please.

Best regards.

fatbellybinky
2018-05-25, 20:54
Hello fatbellybinky, :welcome:

Sorry to hear of the problem, could you open a support ticket here (https://www.safer-networking.org/contact/spybot2/) please.

Best regards.

Support ticket raised as requested.

fatbellybinky
2018-05-29, 16:35
Tried disabling my installed Firewall (Zonealarm) and AV (Avast) but still same problem. However, booting Windows into Safe Mode, Spybot performs as expected and after completing a system scan "fix Selected" works quickly with no long delays. So, the question is why should I have to boot into Safe Mode for it to run properly when it always used to work fine until fairly recently.

Valhalla
2018-06-05, 21:07
I have the same exact problem and the same specs, using Windows 7 and Avast etc. I have seen Spybot work once in while but almost every time I do a scan and then hit fix selected, it spins the blue circle and does nothing. It says in task manager and at the top of the Spybot screen, that Spybot is not responding. I have let it go for an hour and nothing happens. I have to use task manager to stop the program. I also use Malware Bytes and have no problems with it or Avast. I don't recall seeing that his issue was resolved. Please respond! Thanks!

Valhalla
2018-06-05, 22:14
Today when Spybot was not responding after clicking "Fix Selected" I had to use task manager to stop and close it. I ran the scan again and this time there were only 3 items where as before there were many more. I hit "Fix Selected" and it fixed them right away with no "Not Responding" problem. The fact that there were only 3 items tells me that when I clicked fix the last time and it was not responding, that it actually did fix all the items it found but that the interface has a problem not responding to reflect this. So I am assuming the problem is with the interface. But it still needs to be fixed....

fatbellybinky
2018-06-06, 12:27
Today when Spybot was not responding after clicking "Fix Selected" I had to use task manager to stop and close it. I ran the scan again and this time there were only 3 items where as before there were many more. I hit "Fix Selected" and it fixed them right away with no "Not Responding" problem. The fact that there were only 3 items tells me that when I clicked fix the last time and it was not responding, that it actually did fix all the items it found but that the interface has a problem not responding to reflect this. So I am assuming the problem is with the interface. But it still needs to be fixed....
I opened a fault ticket with the developers and tried the various solutions suggested by Team Spybot including disabling any other security programs like Avast and Malwarebytes but that didn't help. I even uninstalled Malwarebytes as it never seemed to find anything. Running the scan after booting Windows into Safe Mode however, worked as expected but I shouldn't have to do that.
Running normally it usually detects around 20-30 "hits". Clicking "Fix Selected" results in the mouse pointer momentarily changing to the rotating blue circle, then nothing. Clicking a second time anywhere on the screen results in "Not Responding" appearing in the top bar. Click anywhere on the screen again and the whole screen goes pale leaving the mouse pointer as a constant rotating blue circle. It stays like that for 15 minutes (I sat and timed it today) after which it finally says that it has fixed everything and the green ticks appear.

wheezy2
2018-06-21, 21:09

Same issue. Bizarre. When it scans and I hit Fix Selected it shows as not responding. Then I have to rescan. There doesn't seem to be a fix yet. :sad:

mhsgas
2018-07-26, 22:37
Same problem as others have reported, with no fix. Spybot goes into "not responding" mode when I try to fix selected problems. It makes the program useless. Will this ever be fixed?

Shubunken
2018-07-29, 05:11
Same problem as others have reported, with no fix. Spybot goes into "not responding" mode when I try to fix selected problems. It makes the program useless. Will this ever be fixed?

Me, too, When I click on "Fix selected," the program stalls and indicates (not responding). I updated from 2.4 to 2.7. Windows 10 (after a complete uninstall, including the Program Files and Program data subfolders), but the results are the same.

24_Ford_GPW
2018-10-14, 03:48
Same issue. Bizarre. When it scans and I hit Fix Selected it shows as not responding. Then I have to rescan. There doesn't seem to be a fix yet. :sad:
Same problem with Windows 10 Pro. No "safe mode option" that I am aware of. I also run Zone Alarm Firewall and Antivirus and disabling that does NOT make any difference.
I have been using Spybot without issues for years. Even bought a license once many years ago. It wasn't until Windows 10 and the new version of Spybot that I had experienced any issues.

Sparky2992
2019-03-11, 01:31
Same problem with Windows 10 Pro. No "safe mode option" that I am aware of. I also run Zone Alarm Firewall and Antivirus and disabling that does NOT make any difference.
I have been using Spybot without issues for years. Even bought a license once many years ago. It wasn't until Windows 10 and the new version of Spybot that I had experienced any issues.

Same problem for me on Win7 Ultimate. Killing S&D after it hangs then running another scan yields far fewer reported items and then 'Fix Selected' quickly fixes them all.

wad11656
2019-07-18, 20:50
Same issue here on newest Spybot version, Windows 10

Spybot froze when I clicked "Fix Selected" on spybot.png with 58 results.

Ran it a second time (Spybot2.png) which only had 6 results, and Fixed right away.

13194 13195

waltorfer
2019-07-20, 23:32

Exactly same problem. Have had it for months. Developer doesn't know why?

waltorfer
2019-07-20, 23:35
I have had the same issue since I downloaded the program months ago. I hit "fix selected" and nothing happens. I hit it again and the program goes into "not responding." So I don't know if the issues are being fixed or not. I am a bit surprised that the developer of the program hasn't been able to repair that irregularity.

Smuzoen
2019-10-09, 06:04
This problem of Spybot hanging when try to "Fix Selected" started in last 1-2 updates. All you need to do is instead of fixing "all" at once is to fix maybe 10-15 at a time. Just work down the detected entries in small groups and you will find that you are able to fix all the detected problems and Spybot won't hang.

ChristianProgrammer
2020-03-31, 03:03
So that's kind of unacceptable fix your leak ... My old win 7 install of the free version TORE through a fat list
now on win 10 it pukes ?? seriously ?? !! I was considering purchasing the Pro version but yo really ??

garett
2020-04-25, 18:25
This problem of Spybot hanging when try to "Fix Selected" started in last 1-2 updates. All you need to do is instead of fixing "all" at once is to fix maybe 10-15 at a time. Just work down the detected entries in small groups and you will find that you are able to fix all the detected problems and Spybot won't hang.

I have had the same issue since I downloaded the program months ago. I hit "fix selected" and nothing happens.

garett
2020-04-29, 04:06
I have been using Spybot without issues for years. Even bought a license once many years ago. It wasn't until Windows roblox auto clicker (https://mouseclicker.net/roblox-auto-clicker/) 10 and the new version of Spybot that I had experienced any issues.

I also run Zone Alarm Firewall and Antivirus and disabling that does NOT make any difference.
I have been using Spybot without issues for years. Even bought a license once many years ago.

SteveInThailand
2020-04-29, 14:49
So that's kind of unacceptable fix your leak ... My old win 7 install of the free version TORE through a fat list
now on win 10 it pukes ?? seriously ?? !! I was considering purchasing the Pro version but yo really ??

I have the same problem with SPYBOT. No, I do not want to run in Safe Mode. No, I do not want to fix only a few items at a time.
I'm frankly amazed that SPYBOT has not fixed their software problem. Or have they?

tashi
2020-04-29, 19:22
Hello, :greeting:

Has anyone opened a new support ticket (https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform)? If so please let me know.

Best regards.

proceed weedian
2020-07-25, 22:24
i just opened a ticket as i am having the same issues and doesn't look like this ever got resolved.

November91
2021-02-06, 18:01
Anybody has any idea if this ever resultet in anything?

i still have this issue, even when running spybot privileged as admin