PDA

View Full Version : sbrecovery password protected?

dexter30
2005-12-05, 02:40
To get to the point, I was running a virus scan using avast and it came up with several files that it could not scan. A message came up telling me that several files were password protected. I did not set a password for any of the programs or documents listed and I'm wondering if these files in question may be posing any problems. Basicly, what's with these password protected files? I've included a screen shot of one of these files along with the file tree. All the files in question reside in "application data\spybot\recovery...........

Anyone have any ideas for me?
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAAP0V1yS7!2Hvc7lAN!edNXMt1EuTz9IDalzysvnvPl7KEkYhhlgLdz!Wsrq62M*NiiyRCDE7*BrzwKa4XhEEsfHFW20DUmXzDZ75yXM/spybot1.jpg

Zenobia
2005-12-05, 04:56
It's okay.Spybot password protects the files in recovery.

bitman
2005-12-05, 05:40
The reason they're password protected is to avoid the files being mis-identified by other anti-malware scanners as if they were new malware.

Since these files are backups of items 'fixed' by Spybot S&D, they can contain information such as files that are known to be bad, like Trojans for example. If they were simply copied to the Recovery folder, the next time your anti-virus scans it might re-detect them as contained in the Spybot folder. So to avoid the obvious problems this could create, the files are saved with a password.

The reason the backups are made is so that in the case of a false positive or 'bad' detection, you could recover whatever was deleted. If you know you don't need some of these files, you can purge them from the Recovery screen. Only do this if you're sure the items are really malware.

dexter30
2005-12-05, 14:45
Ok, you have both answered my questions. Thank you.

moorpheus
2007-12-08, 09:30
Like the OP, I have all sorts of things in files " password protected" by SpyBot. SpyBot will not allow me to delete these files!

Spybot asks me for the password, which I never chose or installed, and which I cannot find in any Spybot literature.

I want to delete these files. What is the password.

md usa spybot fan
2007-12-08, 18:43
moorpheus:

All actions required to use and maintain the reovery files can be done from within Spybot's recovery facility, i.e. recover, delete. If you go into Spybot > Recovery you should be able to delete the files ("Purge selected items") without using a password.

If you can not delete the files from within Spybot, I would be more than happy to provide you with the password. However, please try to delete the files from within Spybot first.

moorpheus
2007-12-09, 02:56
Thanks so much. Funnily enough, I was able to delete the whole folder (in lieu of merely a file which required a password) from my file manager.

Quite odd. If they require a password for work within a program (I assume it's just to protect us from ourselves) I'd think we'd be permitted to know what it is!!

Oh well, it worked, and I very much appreciate your reply!