PDA

View Full Version : Auto updating

furkin
2018-11-18, 10:58
Hi Guys,
1/ Why dosn't my system automatically update ?
2/ I don't understand the Immunise button ?! Do I immunise before or after a scan ?
Any other help appreciated.
F

v; 2-7-65-0

Zenobia
2018-11-18, 12:23
Hi.

For the update question, which of the Spybot Editions do you currently have?
https://www.safer-networking.org/compare-spybot-editions

This explains what immunization is:
https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/what-is-immunization/
This explains how to immunize:
https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-do-i-perform-immunization/
Just to be sure we're both on the same page, when you are referring to the scan, do you mean the System Scan, in which Spybot scans your system, or would you be referring to the immunization check that Spybot does? :)

furkin
2018-11-18, 13:00
thanks Zenobia,

all I see is "v; 2-7-65-0",,,, which now seems to be "v; 2-7-64-0" ?

I think I paid £19, so I'm guessing Professional, but wouldn't swear to it.

Zenobia
2018-11-19, 12:30
You're welcome. :)

Okay, thanks. That edition is one that should get updates automatically. You should get antivirus updates a couple times a day. I found a section with some pictures to help things along. This is just a short run-through of automatic updates:
https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-do-i-schedule-updates-in-spybot-2/
There should be updates set up to run by default. If you will follow the instructions on that page to get to the scheduler page, that will show the last time and date the scheduler has ran to automatically check for an update.

How to schedule Updates in Spybot 2?
Note: Task Scheduling is only available in the licensed editions of Spybot.
By default, the Update task is set to run every time your PC starts, with a 3 minute delay. To schedule Updates:

Open Spybot’s Start Center by right-clicking on the Spybot icon and choosing the option to Run as administrator.
Click on Show details in the bottom right corner of the Start Center.
Tick Advanced User Mode.
Go to Settings.
Go to Schedule....

https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Scheduleup.png

Following the above instructions to view the Scheduler tab in Spybot, could you tell me what time and date is listed there in the Updates section of the Schedule tab, beside "Last Time:'?

Also, did you try out the immunization button yet? How did it go?

furkin
2018-11-19, 12:51
Thanks again,

I've been Immunising all along, but as I said, I didn't know when it's best to do so - now I know - thanks.

My Start Centre now dosn't give me the Run as Admin (I'm sure it used to), so I can't follow the routine.

In fact, I think I lost a page when it last updated. it used to have a update button on the top right. It was supposed to be live updating, but wasn't. I got that fixed.
Any idea how I get the Admin screen please ?

cheers

Zenobia
2018-11-20, 03:42
You're very welcome. :)

I've been Immunising all along, but as I said, I didn't know when it's best to do so - now I know - thanks.
Okay, good. It's best to run the check every so often, then Spybot will tell you if there are things that need to be immunized. If you forget to run a check, usually when you open Start Center it will show Immunization in yellow(or red, I believe, if it has been a really long time), and tell you how many days it has been and you ought to run a check.

In fact, I think I lost a page when it last updated. it used to have a update button on the top right.
That sounds to me like you might possibly be seeing the overview now. If you click 'Show details' on the bottom right, it should take you to the details page and then in the upper right corner you should see something along the lines of "This software is up to date" with a green checkmark beside it. There should be information about Live Protection and Internet Protection immediately above that.

My Start Centre now dosn't give me the Run as Admin (I'm sure it used to), so I can't follow the routine.
You don't see Run As Administrator when rightclicking on the Start Centre anymore? You should see it with a yellow and blue shield beside, as it is in this image:
https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Admin-1.png
Are you logged in on an Administrator account on your computer?

furkin
2018-11-24, 11:33
UPDATE:

Thanks guys,

For some reason my screen now starts with the "Show details" screen, whereas it used to open with "back to overview" screen.
No matter there, as I now know what to look for, however, I'm back to a previous problem, my "back to overview" screen says "UPDATE SERVICE STOPPED" !

also, the "back to overview" Screen says ,,,, "UPDATE TO 2.7",,, but at the top, it shows that I am already using 2.7.

Little niggles,,,,,, but I don't like little niggles.

Have a good weekend folks

Zenobia
2018-11-25, 02:59
The update service should be started again, but in order to attempt to do so you will need to be able to run a part of Spybot as administrator. So would you please answer my previous question from my last post, and then we can go from there. :)

You don't see Run As Administrator when rightclicking on the Start Centre anymore? You should see it with a yellow and blue shield beside, as it is in this image:
https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Admin-1.png
Are you logged in on an Administrator account on your computer?

furkin
2018-11-25, 13:46
I have clicked on run as admin on the Apps list (above Start)
I have clicked on run as admin on the Start Spybot file.

Sometimes I see 2.7 'admin privileges' at the top,,,, sometimes I don't.

Is it obvious when running as admin,,,, or not ?

Sorry to sound dim.

roz1227
2018-11-25, 15:07
Does the free version (vers. 2.7) update automatically? I'm running Windows 10 Home on a brand new Acer Desktop. I installed Spybot on 11-24-18 and the last update states "you computer has no signatures installed yet!". I've clicked the update button with no luck but I am able to immunize though. Thank you.

Also went into the advanced user mode and noticed the updating service needs to be started but everything is grayed out and a yellow exclamation point is visible.

Zenobia
2018-11-26, 09:36
You don't sound dim. Don't worry about that. :)
When you see Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, that should be when Spybot is in administrator mode. Some modules(the different parts of Spybot within the start center, like system scan, etc.) will prompt you to run them as administrator if needed, some will not if it's not really necessary. To get all the modules to be run as administrator, just rightclick the Spybot start center and select Run As Administrator, then say yes to the prompt. Actually, could you run Spybot as administrator now, make sure it says Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, then click "More Details" on the bottom right. Does it still say Update service stopped?

Zenobia
2018-11-26, 10:11
Does the free version (vers. 2.7) update automatically? I'm running Windows 10 Home on a brand new Acer Desktop. I installed Spybot on 11-24-18 and the last update states "you computer has no signatures installed yet!". I've clicked the update button with no luck but I am able to immunize though. Thank you.

Also went into the advanced user mode and noticed the updating service needs to be started but everything is grayed out and a yellow exclamation point is visible.

For the updating service, everything is usually greyed out in Settings->System Services when Spybot is not ran as administrator. If that's what happened, then try rightclicking Spybot Start Center, select Run As Administrator, say yes to the prompt, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, then the System Services tab. Beside Updating Service, click Install, then Start. Click Apply and OK, just for good measure.

No, the free version doesn't update automatically. There is a video available for you to watch that will help with how to update the free version for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzH1kPrl3JY&list=PL4CZkQArtWf--m2qK1Zdbo-4HG6snZFgl&t=3s&index=4
You need to update before running your first system scan. After that, Antispyware updates are almost always released every Wednesday, so that's a good day to check for updates. Let me know if you have any problems updating. :)

roz1227
2018-11-28, 01:58
Hello, I attempted to follow your steps to update the services located in the system services tab; however, when I click on start I get the following error: could not start the system service Spybot - S&D 2 updating service. The reason given by the system (1053): The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. I did watch the video but was unable to perform the steps given in the video because the I can't get around the above error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your response.

furkin
2018-11-28, 11:22
You don't sound dim. Don't worry about that. :)
When you see Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, that should be when Spybot is in administrator mode. Some modules(the different parts of Spybot within the start center, like system scan, etc.) will prompt you to run them as administrator if needed, some will not if it's not really necessary. To get all the modules to be run as administrator, just rightclick the Spybot start center and select Run As Administrator, then say yes to the prompt. Actually, could you run Spybot as administrator now, make sure it says Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.7, Administrator Privileges at the top, then click "More Details" on the bottom right. Does it still say Update service stopped?

I right click Spybot, & click 'run as admin'. When I double click to boot Spybot, it opens without saying 'Admin Privs'.
see image 1

I then click on 'Show details' - still no 'Admin privs'. See image 2 (including the Update Service Stopped)

I then click on 'Startup tools', where it now comes up with 'Admin privs' - see image 3, but still the Update service is stopped.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

IMAGE 1:

IMAGE 2:

IMAGE 3:

Zenobia
2018-11-28, 14:47
You're welcome, roz1227. :)
Have you ever edited your registry before? Is that something you are familiar with and have no trouble doing, or is it kind of new and unfamiliar?

Zenobia
2018-11-28, 14:51
I right click Spybot, & click 'run as admin'. When I double click to boot Spybot, it opens without saying 'Admin Privs'.
see image 1

I then click on 'Show details' - still no 'Admin privs'. See image 2 (including the Update Service Stopped)

I then click on 'Startup tools', where it now comes up with 'Admin privs' - see image 3, but still the Update service is stopped.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

IMAGE 1:

IMAGE 2:

IMAGE 3:

You're welcome, but I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped with that one. Do you just have the standard ole Windows 10 administrator account? :)

furkin
2018-11-29, 10:10
You're welcome, but I'm afraid I'm a bit stumped with that one. Do you just have the standard ole Windows 10 administrator account? :)

I really don't know. It's Win 10 Pro - latest update.

Zenobia
2018-11-30, 07:50
Okay, thanks. :)

Please follow these instructions to look at your account info, and please come back and post if your account is listed as a local or an administrator's account:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-user-accounts-settings-windows-10#view_account_info_windows10
(To add a little to the above article, to open Settings, click your Start button, then select the little button that looks like a gear icon, and continue on with the instructions to view your account info)

furkin
2018-11-30, 11:12
Zenobia:
Thanks again.

Yep - it seems I'm the Admin.

Build; 04/08/18

Last update; 24/11/18
v;1803 for x64

F

Zenobia
2018-12-01, 07:53
You're welcome. And thank you for posting the screenshot. :) It shows that you need to verify your identity, but I don't believe that should affect User Account Control and running programs/apps as administrator, nor can I find anything online about that.

Your Spybot is not showing typical behaviour when you are running it as administrator. What usually happens when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center and select Run As Administrator is you are then prompted by User Account Control which asks if you want to let this app make changes to your device, you would then click 'Yes" if you want to proceed, then the Spybot-S&D Start Center should open immediately thereafter. You should not need to doubleclick it for it to open. It should show administrator privileges at the top at all times.

On the other side of the coin, if you open Spybot-S&D Start Center without running it as administrator, then you should get a prompt from Windows User Account Control when you open some modules. For example, when you click Startup Tools, then you should get the prompt from User Account Control, if you select Yes, then the Startup tools would show Administrator Privileges at the top after that. You are not getting the prompts from User Account Control when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center with the Yes and No option to select?

furkin
2018-12-01, 11:27
You're welcome. And thank you for posting the screenshot. :) It shows that you need to verify your identity, but I don't believe that should affect User Account Control and running programs/apps as administrator, nor can I find anything online about that.

(A) Your Spybot is not showing typical behaviour when you are running it as administrator. What usually happens when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center and select Run As Administrator is you are then prompted by User Account Control which asks if you want to let this app make changes to your device, you would then click 'Yes" if you want to proceed, then the Spybot-S&D Start Center should open immediately thereafter. You should not need to doubleclick it for it to open. It should show administrator privileges at the top at all times.

(B) On the other side of the coin, if you open Spybot-S&D Start Center without running it as administrator, then you should get a prompt from Windows User Account Control when you open some modules. For example, when you click Startup Tools, then you should get the prompt from User Account Control, if you select Yes, then the Startup tools would show Administrator Privileges at the top after that. You are not getting the prompts from User Account Control when you rightclick Spybot-S&D Start Center with the Yes and No option to select?

What do you mean about verify ID ?

Both A & B are what I expect. It all seemed o.k until the last update.
When I right click on Spybot Start center > run as admin, should the program boot ? I expect it to boot, with me as admin. Because it dosn't boot from there, I have to double click to open it,,,,, therefor - I guess - I lose the admin rule.

As its a paid for prog, I'd expect to get it working properly.

Zenobia
2018-12-02, 04:59
It's in your screenshot. It says you need to verify your id on this pc, then there's a clickable Verify right below that. I don't believe that would affect your User Account Control when you rightclick programs and run as administrator, though. There's an article explaining about it more here:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/verify-your-identity-on-this-pc-windows-10
I'm not suggesting that you do or don't Verify, that is up to you. But I mentioned it because I saw it. :)

You should be getting a Yes or No prompt from User Account Control first, actually. It would look like this(except this prompt is for Microsoft Office, not Spybot.)
https://alssl.askleomedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/office-uac.png
When rightclicking Spybot and selecting Run as Administrator, are you getting that prompt at all?
And Yes, if you are prompted by User Account Control, after you select Yes Spybot should launch immediately, without you having to click it again to open it.

If you were prompted by User Account Control and selected No, then Spybot would not launch immediately thereafter, but then you would not see Administrator Privileges automatically at the top when you launch startup tools, you would get another Yes or No prompt from User Account Control first.

If this started happening after the last update, it seems like something may have gone wrong with that. Ordinarily, I might think of asking you to reinstall Spybot and see if it is fixed, however I'm hesitant on that because when you input your license key again, you get a prompt from User Account Control according to Spybot's youtube video, and I don't want you running into any snafus since you're having problems with UAC and Spybot.

I'll probably send you along to Team Spybot shortly but first could you rightclick another program on your computer and run it as administrator? I'd like to know if it happens with other programs or just Spybot, so you can include that info in the form if necessary.

So as a short summary since my post is a bit wordy, in your next post could you please let me know if you are getting the prompt from User Account Control when rightclicking Spybot and selecting Run As administrator?
Could you try running another program as administrator on your computer to check to see if the same thing happens that is happening with Spybot?

roz1227
2018-12-05, 03:59
You're welcome, roz1227. :)
Have you ever edited your registry before? Is that something you are familiar with and have no trouble doing, or is it kind of new and unfamiliar?

Hello, I have no trouble editing the registry, I'm willing to try. Thank you :)

Zenobia
2018-12-05, 05:26
Okay, good. :)

Please refer to this page and follow the directions that tell how to back up the entire registry:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-back-up-the-windows-registry-2625146

After you've backed up the registry,you'll need to see if ServicesPipeTimeout is present.
Down beside the start button where it says 'Type here to search', type in regedit. You should get a prompt to run it as administrator, select Yes.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
In the pane over to the right, look and see if ServicesPipeTimeout is located there. Then follow either a or b below, whichever is applicable.

a.If ServicesPipeTimeout is located in the pane to the right, then you just need to edit it.
Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
Click Decimal, type 120000, then click OK.
Exit the registry, then reboot your computer.

Or:
b.If the ServicesPipeTimeout is not located in the pane over to the right, then you'll need to create and modify it.
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
Click Decimal, type 120000, and then click OK.
Exit the registry, then reboot your computer.

Now try installing the update service again, and see if it will start without the error.
Rightclick Spybot Start Center, select Run As Administrator, say yes to the prompt, checkmark Advanced User Mode, click Settings, then the System Services tab. Beside Updating Service, click Install, then Start. Click Apply and OK.

roz1227
2018-12-10, 02:11
Hello Zenobia,

Your directions worked PERFECT on my Acer Windows 10 desktop, thank you so much!

I have another challenge for you, I have another desktop (HP) with Windows 7 installed with the exact same issue. I tried all of your directions (thinking they might work) and unfortunately they didn't work. Is there something different I need to do since it's Windows 7? I'm running Spybot 2.7 version on my Windows 7 machine also. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Zenobia
2018-12-10, 09:54
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked. :)

No, you shouldn't need to do anything different where it's Windows 7, the registry edit would be the same. The registry edit you did gives Services longer to start before a time-out message is received. Usually the time out is 30 seconds, the registry edit you did on the Windows 10 should increase that time to 2 minutes.

When you're in the settings -> System Services tab in Spybot on the Windows 7, the updating service is installing okay? You only get an error after attempting to start it? If the updating service on the windows 7 is taking longer than two minutes to start after you edited the registry, it's possible there may be a problem with the Updating Service itself in some way. Let me know, I might be able to find a way to configure it in services itself, delayed start perhaps, or something similar. :)

roz1227
2018-12-22, 17:59
Hello,

Still no luck. Everything looks good in the registry. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Zenobia
2018-12-23, 16:11
You're welcome. :)

This might not work, but it's worth a try. Press Windows Key (https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/windows-key-shortcut-tricks-670x335.jpg) + r, type in services.msc and then press OK. Once services opens, scroll down and locate Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service. Rightclick it and select Properties. The service status should be Stopped, since you are getting the error. Beside Startup type, click the pull-down menu, and select Automatic (Delayed Start), then press Apply and OK. Close out Services, then reboot your computer. Once logged back into Windows 7, wait for a little bit. 5 or 10 minutes should do it. Then press Windows Key + r, type in services.msc and then press OK. Once services opens, scroll down and locate Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service. Rightclick on Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service, select Properties, and let me know if it's Service Status is Running.

roz1227
2018-12-28, 05:11
Hello,

Followed your instructions to the latter. Unfortunately the services still show "stopped". Thanx for your continued help!

Zenobia
2018-12-29, 02:15
You're very welcome. :)

Giving the service lots of time to start doesn't seem to be helping. I am thinking that perhaps there may be a problem with the service itself for some reason, or another thought I had is I wonder if another security program might prevent it from starting, perhaps. I can't imagine another security program would stop the updating service from starting, but just in case would you mind telling me what other security programs you have installed? I could search and see if I find anybody else with similar issues.

Also, would you open services again? Press Windows Key + r, type in services.msc and then press OK. Once services opens, scroll down and locate Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service. Rightclick it and select Properties. Is the Path to Executable listed as C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdSvc.exe or similar?

roz1227
2019-01-11, 01:37
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The only security app I use other than Spybot is Avast Free. The path is identical to what you asked me to search for.

Thank you again :)

Zenobia
2019-01-12, 23:15
Hi, roz1227. You're welcome. No need to apologize on the delay in responding. :)

The path should be good, then.

Do you also have Avast Free on your Windows 10 as well as the Windows 7? If you do, and Avast Free is configured the same on your Windows 10 as well as the Windows 7, we could probably rule it out as to pertaining the real-time protection and Spybot's service.
I'm not that familiar with Avast Free anymore, I did have it a few years back. I don't think it would stop the updating service from starting, but it can't hurt to have a look. I see on the Avast forum that Avast's logfiles should be located at C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log. There should be some Shield logs available in there, if you'd like to open them up and see if there seems to be any activity related to Spybot's updating service.

Also, are your Avast Shields configured pretty much the default way they are described here in the Core Shields sections?
https://support.avast.com/en-ca/article/167/

Also, if you have been unable to update Spybot on your Windows 7, there are manual antispyware updates you can apply in the meantime, until you are able to update through the program:
https://www.safer-networking.org/pt-br/faq/can-i-manually-download-updates-in-spybot-2/