PDA

View Full Version : hostsman

bamawoman66
2006-09-30, 22:29
I am using hostsman and every time I run spybot I get three redirected hosts entries. Is this a problem with hostsman or is this a false positive by spybot?

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-30, 22:55
Please post a log of the actual detections you are getting. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

bamawoman66
2006-09-30, 23:58
I could not get the clipboard to work but here are the entries

wxx.flash.net
wxx.spycleaner.net
spycleaner.net

md usa spybot fan
2006-10-01, 06:50
bamawoman66:

I assume that you are using the hpHosts HOSTS file.

The following detection is not a false in my opinion. The site www.flash.net at one time appeared to be an ISP that was being redirected to Prodigy. The site no longer appears to be active and should not be block by the hpHosts HOSTS file.

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: Redirected host (Redirected host, nothing done)
www.flash.net=127.0.0.1

The following detections do appear to be false positives because it appears that SpyCleaner has been re-listed in "The Spyware Warrior List of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites" (see quotes below).

Microsoft.Windows.RedirectedHosts: Redirected host (Redirected host, nothing done)
www.spycleaner.net=127.0.0.1

spycleaner.net=127.0.0.1
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Most recent re-listings: SpyCleaner (5-12-06)

Product:
SpyCleaner

Domains:
cleanup-adware.com
pigeons.net
spycleaner.net
spycleaner-gold.com
topdownloads.net

Comments:
free version installs WhenU Save! adware program (1); same app as SpyRemover - please read this note about SpyCleaner [A: 6-26-04 / U: 5-12-06]