PDA

View Full Version : ccApp.exe

f.bax
2006-10-02, 01:02
I'm trying to help someone with an internet connection problem. I ran spybot and it removed a lot of stuff, but nothing changed. The ISP is a cable company (Rogers/Yahoo in ON, Canada, if that helps) that requires users run a special program to "logon" before using the interent. We are currently unable to logon, and ISP blamed video driver? I upgraded the video driver and there are still problems. Even though we are unable to "logon" to ISP services, a ping by name or number works properly. The ISP then thought the network card should be replaced. I think this was a silly suggestion, but I replaced it anyway - no change.

Using spybot, I disabled everything in system startup and the error message during logon changed! So after much trial and error, I think I finally identified the culprit.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

When ccApp entry is disabled, logon attempt produces "Sorry, the attempt to Sign In failed."

When ccApp entry is enabled, logon attempt produces "Unable to connect to the server. Please check your your connection before trying again."

The help info seems to indicate that this can sometimes be a trojan or virus, but how to tell?

The system is WinXP-Pro 2002 running on P4 1.6Ghz with 253M ram and 60G disk.
Norton Internet Security 2006 (two days left on sebscription) with a "provided by Yahoo logo on main panel.

Mad1316
2006-10-03, 03:06
I used to run Norton IS. Way back in the day, I installed it and started having issues with my dial-up. To make a long story short, everyone was stumped, so I figured it out myself. When I removed Norton IS, the issue was gone. In your case, I'd say that most likely what would work best would be to uninstall Norton, then reinstall it while connected to the internet provider. Norton has been known in the past to tag a new network connection as bad and block it, even if it is the network you want. You may want to try checking the application settings in Norton, and make sure the software the ISP is running is enabled and has full access to network resources. Also double-check windows firewall settings. Please note: I am giving this information based on experience and I do not guarentee it to work. I will say, however, that I have been working on computers for quite a time, and have a large, happy customer base. Questions/Comments? email or IM me.

LonnyRJones
2006-10-03, 16:03
f.bax
Mad1316's advice sounds good, however Please do not contact unknown members via pm's or email.

Mad1316 please refrain from suggesting personal contact

f.bax
2006-10-06, 03:08
I'd say that most likely what would work best would be to uninstall Norton, then reinstall it while connected to the internet provider.
It was not possible (due to time constraints) to do the uninstall while connected to ISP. I started by calling ISP support to confirm problem was at our end - they said there should be no special signon to get connected - so it should also "just work" if I connect it to my home system that has router. I got permission to take the systme home and to remove anything off the system. I took the machine home and uninstalled NAV2001, NAV2005, NIS2006, LiveReg & LiveUpd. Somewhere in the middle (lots of reboots), internet started working. I kept going anyway. One of the uninstalls produced an error message and reference to Symantec page for [un]install problems. That page mentioned "Norton Removal Tool". At the end I also ran that tool. No plans to reinstall Norton.