PDA

View Full Version : Windows Defender Antivirus has detected malware or other potentially unwanted softwar

pheroux
2020-10-14, 06:01
Does anyone else get this error in Windows Defender?
The only way I found to supperss this error was to add my host file to Windows Defender exclusion list but that seems unsafe?
Is there a better way?

Windows Defender Antivirus has detected malware or other potentially unwanted software.
For more information please see the following:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack&threatid=265754&enterprise=0
Name: SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack
ID: 265754
Severity: Severe
Category: Settings Modifier
Path: file:_C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Detection Origin: Local machine
Detection Type: Concrete
Detection Source: Real-Time Protection
User: PHILNEWPC\Phil
Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Safer-Networking Ltd\Spybot Anti-Beacon\Spybot3AntiBeacon.exe
Security intelligence Version: AV: 1.325.712.0, AS: 1.325.712.0, NIS: 1.325.712.0
Engine Version: AM: 1.1.17500.4, NIS: 1.1.17500.4

Zenobia
2020-10-20, 04:00
You could contact Team Spybot and ask about that. There's a form to fill out here. :)
https://www.safer-networking.org/support/#contactform

pheroux
2020-10-20, 04:28
To clarify, the above question is for Spybot Anti-Beacon.

I tried asking customer suppor but they never replied to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Zenobia
2020-10-20, 17:49
I don't know the answer to your question, which is why I referred you to the contact form. You can select anti-beacon or anti-beacon plus in the pull-down menu on the contact form. Was the form the way you contacted customer support? It might take a while to get a reply, I figure, if they have a lot of questions. How long has it been since you contacted them? I'm just asking to make sure your message didn't get lost or something, hence no reply. :)

(m/f)
2020-10-22, 12:29
AntiBeacon modifies the hosts file in a protective way. But Defender takes any modification of the file as a threat. This is a false positive. Feel free to ignore the defenders detection here. Thank you.