PDA

View Full Version : bot "microsoft windows redirect"

andoni
2006-10-05, 01:17
hi, I'm new to this forum, my name is Andoni, live in the Basque country of Spain, Bilbao is the name of the city.

My system is Windows xp, Home user, and both the Fire Wall and my Antivirus are from McAffe. Have had installed Spybot, my favourite program, for years, and I'm always trying to persuade my friends and acquaitances to install it also, since is such an awsome tool to fight malware.

Yesterday while passing the usual scan with Spybot, it found 2 bots under the one named "Microsoft Windows Redirect", both of them, apparently, change a word in the Registry, both refer to the Windows Security Centre, one to the FirewallDisableNotify, the other to the AntivirusDisableNotify.

Spybot fixed both of them first time, however they keep on appearing at every scan afterwards.

At the same time I did notice, also, that my antivirus detected the presence of one trojan, one Downloader, by the name of Downloader-AXM. Now, when I tried to fix it, McAffe said that it couldn't do it, and the two choices available were to quarantine it or to delete it, choosing the latter. By this time I wasn't aware of the fact that Windows xp doesn't delete malware unless System Restore be off, which it wasn't at the time I deleted it, so I don't know what to think about it anymore, nor I'm sure at all whether the presence of that trojan has anything to do or not with the persistence of the bot.

Any help would be appreciated,

andoni

tashi
2006-10-05, 01:57
Hello, please follow the instructions in our 'sticky' topic:
BEFORE you post and who will advise you. Preliminary Steps (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then a helper will assist you as soon as available to do so. :)

For more information about Windows Security Center overrides please see this topic:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1271&highlight=Windows+Security+Center

tashi
2006-10-09, 09:11
This topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread.
Applies only to the original topic starter.

andoni
2006-10-10, 01:42
hi, last week i mailed a post to this malware removal forum, about some bots appearing on my scan that spybot couldn't clean up, or rather that they kept on re-appearing in later scans after having been fixed

a few days later i read a posting by tashi instructing me to do things already done

more than a week later, i don't see even my previous post, so i won't take any more of your time, other than to say how impressed i'm with your help

thanks for nothing

andoni

tashi
2006-10-10, 03:37
Hello

Your original request for assistance was 2006-10-04

I asked you to read the 'sticky' topic and provide the log 2006-10-04

The topic was archived today 2006-10-09 as the log had not been provided in order for someone to assist you.

Please do go ahead and post the logs if you have them. :)

tashi
2006-10-16, 07:56
Archived again.