PDA

View Full Version : Oppressed's topic

Oppressed
2005-12-04, 03:15
Hi,

It's *great* that there is a fix for this issue?

A little to late for me who turned off the TeaTimer and ended up getting infected with SpyAxe and its buddies :eek:

tashi
2005-12-04, 10:52
Hello Oppressed.
Sorry to hear you had an infection, I am curious as to which security programs you have on your system and whether they (and windows) were all up to date. :)

Oppressed
2005-12-04, 16:28
Hello Oppressed.
Sorry to hear you had an infection, I am curious as to which security programs you have on your system and whether they (and windows) were all up to date. :)

Thank you for the reply :)

I have only had the computer online for a little over 1 week. It is running with Windows XP (using built-in Firewall?) and NAV 2006. (I believe both are up to date. NAV for sure and XP patch Nov 23) Almost the first, if not the first new software I installed was SpyBot. Within hours I noticed the problem when a Flash Player update /plugin tried to occur. Strangest part of this is I searched (google from my homepage) using TeaTimer Fix and SpyBot Resident Fix and I think I got no hits that helped? I arrived here yesterday on a SpyAxe Search.

Anyway for now I'm using a differant computer as the other has a Browser Hijack happening :(

tashi
2005-12-04, 17:13
Hi Oppressed.

For the infected computer, please go here and follow instructions.
Before you post a log (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288[/url)

Start a topic here:
Malware Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22[/url)

Someone will then take a look at the system and advise you on any malware removal needed.

It wouldn't hurt to read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place? By Tony Klein (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279)

Personally, although the Windows XP firewall is better than nothing; I do not recommend it when there are other firewalls that do a far better job.

Anyway please post a log in the malware forum and we will do our best to help you clean up the infection.

Cheers. :)

Oppressed
2005-12-04, 17:48
tashi,

Thanks for the reply.

That other computer is pretty much toast now anyways!

I've tried various online scanners already and either couldn't get to them or SpyAxe plays games when I try to use them. (ie. a message my C drive is being deleted or windows pop up installing more Trojans.)

Also I don't have that HiJack program installed so I can't make a log.

Maybe sometime in the future when I can get that computer running again I'll load it up with all the programs suggested in the one Link and the TeaTimer Fix posted here.

One last question, if I may? I'm confused, I did use the immunize feature in SpyBot but I guess it didn't know about this security issue yet? Or when I turned off the Resident did I disable the immunize feature too?

tashi
2005-12-05, 16:16
Also I don't have that HiJack program installed so I can't make a log. You could try downloading hjt onto the working computer, burn to a CD and then run it on the infected system to get a log.
That might work if you would like to take a go at it.

I'm confused, I did use the immunize feature in SpyBot but I guess it didn't know about this security issue yet? Security issue? Not sure what you mean. :)

How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

A good explanation by md usa spybot fan, hope that helps.

Oppressed
2005-12-05, 18:13
tashi,

First off, thanks for moving this exchange to it's own Thread.

What I meant by the comment re: security issue is that a definition had not yet been added to the detection & block list that might have disallowed the SpyAxe install.

Regarding helping me with the removal issue. Someone on another Forum was able to walk me through installing the HiJackThis tool and also directed me to a Free Trial Version of a Security Suite called ewido. Luckily I was able to DL and install and scan using it; it found and removed most of the bad stuff so my new Computer is close to clean now.

Which leads me to these comments I found on the original Thread I posted to.

Bugs happen.

Perhaps you may have noticed in this thread as well as others that it has been noted often that it will be fixed in the next release.

Perhaps you think PMK should do an upgrade and cause tens of millions of DLs(a large expense for a free product) just to fix what is considered by any other than the greenest user to be a very MINOR bug(one which is extremely easy to fix manually).

Seems to me that you may have very little understanding about application support...especially for a freeware product used by so many. I would hope that most would have a more reasonable understanding.

I'm not cool with being looked down on because I don't know as much as a Tech, of course I don't, just like lots of others.

So, just to be clear, yes I am one of those "green" users who knows squat about manually fixing bugs on my computer. The world is full of us. (This is one major reason why I now run McAfee Security on my Windows 98SE computer and not NIS. No way in hell support was going to get me to edit my registry, period. Especially as I have something like dyslexia when it comes to #s.)

Also, when I searched online for a fix for the TeaTimer the only relevant hits I received were one's that suggested "green" users should turn it off because we were to stupid to use it correctly and the one that showed me how exactly to do it.

Do I hold the software designer responsible for my infection, of course not! Spybot is a great product :cool: :ninja: :bigthumb:

Sorry though, and this might be over simplistic, but I wonder if there is a new DL available that addresses Skins for the Color Blind why it is so hard to provide an automated fix for the Resident issue? I'm not saying include it in the Updates but maybe put it prominently on the Spybot Homepage? I went there and looked for one and then I looked for a Link to these Forums and didn’t find that either. Google searches I preformed also didn’t find these Forums for me when I was looking for a Fix.

For me this was a cumulative failure. I am most pissed that my Keyword search on Google failed to get helpful results at the time but it got me here after I was infected!

tashi
2005-12-06, 15:13
Member posted in Malware Removal forum.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=3384&posted=1#post3384