PDA

View Full Version : Limited User Accounts

THE XFACTOR
2006-10-07, 23:33
When I Use A Limited User Account For Browsing The Web The Files In Spybot For Immunizing Don't Register The Correct Amount Of Items Blocked As When I Run It As Administrator. I Did Put The Spybot Folder In The Shared Folders Section As Windows Recommends For Use By All Users. It Does Not Also Show The Correct Update For Today?

md usa spybot fan
2006-10-08, 06:48
THE XFACTOR:

I Did Put The Spybot Folder In The Shared Folders Section As Windows Recommends For Use By All Users. It Does Not Also Show The Correct Update For Today?
The difference in immunization counts between a Limited account and a Computer Administrator account has nothing to do with the location of Spybot's program folder. Depending on how you "… Put The Spybot Folder In The Shared Folders Section …" you may have cause problems with the recognition of updates because Spybot's various files are pointed to by registry entries. I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall Spybot-S&D in the default folder of:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Then update again before immunizing, scanning, etc.

When I Use A Limited User Account For Browsing The Web The Files In Spybot For Immunizing Don't Register The Correct Amount Of Items Blocked As When I Run It As Administrator.
After the 2006-10-06 updates the Limited account in an XP system most likely has an immunization count of 8050. The Computer Administrator account should have an immunization count some multiple of 2309 more than 8050 (most likely a count of 12668 or 14977 depending if the Limited account is logged on while immunizing or was logged prior to immunizing with the Computer Administrator account).

When you "Immunize", entries are added to the system Registry. This blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts, blocks cookies from some sites and places other sites in the restricted zone by both site name (domain) and IP address (range). After the 2006-10-06 updates, Spybot is immunizing as follows:
Cookie Blocking – 113 sites (Internet Explorer 6)
ActiveX Blocking – 962 processes
Restricted Zone by Domain (Site Name) – 2190 sites
Restricted Zone by Range (IP Address) – 48 addresses
That is a total of 3313 items. Spybot attempts to immunize the same items in multiple registry hives and counts some of the items being immunized multiple times. Spybot attempts immunize in the following registry keys:
Cookie Blocking

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]

ActiveX Blocking

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility]
Restricted Zone by Domain (Site Name)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]

Restricted Zone by Range (IP Address)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges]

If those registry keys and/or hives are not valid on a particular operating system or a user does not have authorization to add entries to those keys, the immunization counts will vary.