PDA

View Full Version : 100% cpu

deety
2006-10-08, 18:43
It used to take 5 mins for a scan, now it takes 25/30 although nothing else has changed apart from possibly updating windows and spybot. The task manager shows 100% cpu load when spybot is running. When the scan finally finishes there are no problems reported. Any ideas?:banghead:

Sorry about the double post, but the first time I posted there was nothing there! I must be too quick for my own good. Wont happen again.

spybotsandra
2006-10-09, 13:59
Hello,

If you have Spybot - Search & Destroy version 1.3 please upgrade to the newer version 1.4.
If you do already have Spybot S&D 1.4 this is a rare situation that hasn't been explained yet.
But you can do the following to get the scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

- Open Spybot-S&D, then leave it alone
- Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
- Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Priority..."
- On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
- Go back to the already-open Spybot-S&D, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

This can also be done like this:
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode".
Now select "Settings" -->"Settings" from the navigation bar on the left.
Under "Main Settings" you will find the point "Scan priority".
There you should choose "Lower" by ticking the checkbox.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

deety
2006-10-09, 17:55
Hi spybotsandra.

I have version 1.4.
I cant try your first suggestion as when I right click on the spybot.exe file under processes the options I get don't include any check boxes, but just a list of priorities like high, low, lowest etc. I've tried all of them and they don't make any difference at all.
I tried all the priority options under the settings tab in expert mode and they don't make any difference either.
Thanks anyway.