PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.4 crashes in conflict with Folder Lock

tmcnameeca
2005-12-01, 23:26
The Folder Lock program creates a file called windrvnt.sys, and when Spybot 1.4 encounters it, my whole system crashes to the Blue Screen of Death. The only solution I have found is to uninstall Folder Lock, search all folders for occurrences of windrvnt.sys and delete them, and be sure to flush them out of your recycle bin.

The problem is, Folder Lock is a pretty good program for locking up material you don't want others to see.

Has anybody found a solution to this?

bitman
2005-12-02, 02:06
tmcnameeca:
You might want to rethink depending on the Folder Lock product. I had little difficulty finding these threads about Folder Lock and BSoD issues. It appears these and other operational problems, along with easy to break security, make the program less then dependable all by itself.

http://forums.techguy.org/archive/t-388000.html
http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/14-7-30,.html
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14503.html

I'd guess from what I've read that the problem may be interaction with other software, but that's a dangerous situation when your data is hidden/encrypted by this program and it fails. Some of these people lost data, others simply had a BSoD issue like your's.

Since Spybot S&D performs scans of files by using the filing system, it's likely this is an interaction between Spybot, Folder Lock, and maybe even your real-time antivirus program too, if you have one. You'd have to experiment by turning off the AV to see what's really involved.

Since this is being triggered by a simple access of a driver file, I'd guess other scanners could cause it too. It's also possible that there is malware on your system that is interacting, so you may want to get the PC checked just to make sure.

tmcnameeca
2005-12-30, 00:50
Well, I thought that deleting windrv.sys from the system32 folder would prevent the crash. It did--once--but on subsequent runs, Spybot 1.4 still crashes to the BSOD about a third of the way through. I have discovered that if you go to Spybot | settings | file sets and uncheck "hijackers.sbi," the program will no longer crash. But of course you're then not protecting yourself from a significant category of invader, yes?

Any help will be most welcome.

bitman
2005-12-30, 01:44
Even though the windrv.sys file itself doesn't appear to be the issue, there must be some sort of conflict with either a file or registy access made during the Spybot scan. You could prove this by removing the Folder Lock program entirely from the PC and then running a Spybot scan, but that sounds like it might be a difficult process if many files and folders are protected.

The only thing I can recommend is trying to determine more specifically which detection(s) may be involved in the crash. Once you have a list of these Team Spybot may be able to tell you what sort of items are included in that product so you can determine what may be involved.

Either way, I'd still have to blame the BSoD on Folder Lock, since such problems are an extremely rare occurance. Again this assumes that Folder Lock is really the conflict, which seemed to be your indication in your first post.

lllbob
2007-05-02, 12:40
Even though the windrv.sys file itself doesn't appear to be the issue, .

Has this problem been resolved yet? Please reply....

Windows XP HOME
windrvNT.sys is what has been crashing my PC during a scan!
and yes I have Folder Lock...
maybe by now theres an updated version of folder lock.

MY BSOD ERROR: Does this info help any?
STOP: 0X0000008E
(0xC0000005,0XF98AD703,0XEF882C70,0X00000000)
windrvNT.sys Address F98AD703 Date Stamp 409f405c

I have spybot on Windows XP PRO with folder lock, and it doesn't crash on it.
yet, it crashes on windrvNT.sys on Xp Home...

I will also try the temp fix: unchecking hijackers.sbi
As that is just for detecting homepage hijackings right?

and where the heck was this post way back when I was having this same exact problem? lol

lllbob
2007-05-03, 02:45
I will also try the temp fix: unchecking hijackers.sbi
As that is just for detecting homepage hijackings right?

Ok.. unchecked both the hijackers settings and it still bsod...
although it almost made it to the end of the scan... liked 5 more inches..
whereas it usaully crashed after the progress bar is about 4 or 5 inches...

I booted in Safe-Mode....loaded up spybot...also unchecked the hijackers...
and it Finally Scanned Completly.... heck thatta work for me!

-----------------
Folder lock also has the ability to Lock IE Favorites.(making them not visible and inacessable).. maybe the code used for that is what's causing the interference..although I dont even use the lock favorites.
Crashes PC on windows XP SP1 Home with folder lock.
But yet, on XP Pro SP2 with folder lock.. spybot scans just fine.
-----------------
PC ' s malfunction very easily without installing nothing...lol

bitman
2007-05-03, 06:16
Think about this for a minute. If you are depending on Folder Lock to protect your data, but it is known to crash systems when ANY AntiVirus or other scanning application just reads one of its files, how dependable do you think the program really is?

I know I wouldn't trust an application that's known to cause BSoD errors simply when one of its files is read by another application.

Bitman

EDIT: In case this was too subtle, it's Folder Lock that's broken, and unsupported from what I could tell when I originally researched it. If you want to keep your data, get rid of it before it really damages something.

lllbob
2007-05-06, 08:45
Think about this for a minute. If you are depending on Folder Lock to protect your data, but it is known to crash systems when ANY AntiVirus or other scanning application just reads one of its files, how dependable do you think the program really is?

I know I wouldn't trust an application that's known to cause BSoD errors simply when one of its files is read by another application.

Bitman

EDIT: In case this was too subtle, it's Folder Lock that's broken, and unsupported from what I could tell when I originally researched it. If you want to keep your data, get rid of it before it really damages something.

Do you have any suggestions for a replacement for folder lock?

lllbob
2007-05-07, 01:59
huhmm.. where is the edit button for post? am I over looking it or what?
Apparently I over looked those threads above about folder lock before as well...

Anyway... I UN-installed Folder Lock and restarted the pc.
To Anyone else: Make sure that you restart the pc after uninstalling folder lock.
On reboot it runs-once FLkill.exe. I assume that is to remove the registry entries made by folder lock.

Problem Now Fixed:
and now spybot scans just fine and dandy as it used to...

LOL, when you click scan on spybot.. there should be a pop up saying
"warning you have the crappy Folder Lock installed which will cause crashes when scannning" LOL

For now I replaced folder lock with Cryptex...
It seems similiar to truecrypt(free) that I was looking at also... exept cryptex seemed must easier to use.
Maybe thatta be a tad more secure than folder lock eh?
or let me guess, theres some way to bypass cryptex to?
There's usually some security hole in everything. good greif...