PDA

View Full Version : SpyAxe - Smit (you know what) -C

Oppressed
2005-12-06, 03:37
Hi,

:buried:

I thought I had gotten rid of the Browser Hijack SpyAxe but it came back while I was viewing a Thread on this Forum.

I used the automated TeaTimer Fix in another part of these Forums and turned the Resident on.

I came here to do a search because I kept getting the same Problem re-occurring on Spybot-S&D scans. I found a relevent Thread posted by jim635 Re: Smit (you know what) -C not being fixable. (I don't want to say the name and jinx this computer too!)

Anyway, while I was reading the Resident pops up with some Browser Helper Change and I Deny the change. After a few in a row my Browser heads back to the SpyAxe Homepage and the next time the Resident pops up I click [ ] Remember this decision and hit the Deny change. But now the Deny change Button is disallowed and I only have the Allow change one and if I X the Window a new one comes back up immediately!!!

I've disconnected that computer from the Router /Internet and reconnected this one to post this warning?

I thought a warning might be order as I don't know how /why I was reinfected!

Oppressed
2005-12-06, 05:04
Hello,

I would like to add that there is a differance between the last SpyAxe Browser Hijack and this one.

I can get to my Temporary Internet Folder.

Not that it matters but I am making a copy to Floppy. There were a few files that I had to choose to overwrite or not and I think I kept the latest version of each. Some of these were "Folder_Lock" (or something similar) which I found interesting as I have never seen that before.

Oh and the attack occurred at 4:56 PM Pacific Timezone.

Oppressed
2005-12-06, 07:17
Okay :confused:

This is the Thread I was viewing and I see from the Forum Lobby that there is an attachment included.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=662

I don't suppose that attachment contains what re-infected my computer?

Of course from Google there is no way to know I will be entering a topic with an attachment :eek:

LonnyRJones
2005-12-06, 16:03
"I don't suppose that attachment contains what re-infected my computer?"

No it does not, it is just a text.

tashi
2005-12-06, 16:12
Oppressed.
Before we continue here.

In this topic:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=3302&postcount=7

Someone on another Forum was able to walk me through installing the HiJackThis tool and also directed me to a Free Trial Version of a Security Suite called ewido. Luckily I was able to DL and install and scan using it; it found and removed most of the bad stuff so my new Computer is close to clean now.

Previously when I had asked to see a log you said:

That other computer is pretty much toast now anyways!

Please give a link to your topic at the other forum.

Thank you.

Oppressed
2005-12-06, 17:37
Oppressed.
Before we continue here.

In this topic:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=3302&postcount=7

Previously when I had asked to see a log you said:

Please give a link to your topic at the other forum.

Thank you.

Hello,

I tried to quote your post but only ended up with this much so I guess that will have to do?

Yes, I thought my computer was toast but then I’m “green” so I can’t be expected to know what I am talking about?

I did not follow through on the Help you offered on this Forum because I had already asked for Help on another Forum and wanted continuity.

The only reason I posted this Topic here was because it was while I was here that my computer started acting up again.

If you still want the Link I will post it after I get home tonight. Right now I have an appointment I can’t be late for.

tashi
2005-12-06, 18:06
Yes please do post the link.
Thank you.

tashi
2005-12-07, 04:00
As provided by pm:
http://www.help2go.com/postx16987-0-0.html

Oppressed; steamwiz is a respected member of our community, you are in good hands. :)

Oppressed
2005-12-07, 04:08
Thank you :)

tashi
2005-12-07, 04:38
Member is already being assisted in the removal of malware at another site thus this topic is closed.

As advice has already been given and taken, it should be followed through until the computer is declared clean of infection to avoid confusion for all concerned.

Fyi; many helpers assist at several sites, thus we also wish to avoid diluting valuable volunteer resources.

Regards. :)