PDA

View Full Version : Error during check!: Xuron55 (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden.

d1nfante
2005-11-29, 00:41
Hi, im new here. I was trying search for problems under posts that are similar to mine but cant find any. I apologize if i had post this in the wrong section. I need help regarding this little problem of mine. After checking for problems. No immediate threats are found but theres this "error during check" thats botheriing me and i was hoping if anyone can help me out so i can rectify and have a better understand of this problem. Thank you. I've included my scan results below.

Error during check!: Xuron55 (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Congratulations!: No immediate threats were found. ()

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
2005-04-26 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2005-05-12 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2005-04-15 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi
2005-05-11 Includes\Malware.sbi
2005-05-11 Includes\PUPS.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Revision.sbi
2005-02-09 Includes\Security.sbi
2005-05-11 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2005-05-11 Includes\Trojans.sbi

LonnyRJones
2005-11-29, 01:12
Hi d1nfante

In windows addremove programs uninstall SpyBot then Restart the PC,
and delete SpyBots folder in program files,
usualy > C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Then download and install 1.4 once thats done, check for updates, then check for problems, fix everything found, always reboot if SpyBots needs to, to finish the cleanup.
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial
Download found here
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

d1nfante
2005-11-29, 04:53
Hi LonnyRJones,

I followed your instructions as mentioned above and everything is working fine now. Your help and effficiency is deeply appreciated. Thank you very much! :)

LonnyRJones
2005-11-29, 09:45
Im glad we could help

Are there any other problems ?

Be sure to read Tony's
"So how did I get infected in the first place?"
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

d1nfante
2005-12-01, 17:12
Hi LonnyRJones,

I would like to check something with you. I was reading TonyKleins "How did i get infected in the first place" through the link you provided and theres this section "Open IE and go to Internet Options > Security > Internet, then press "Default Level", then OK.

* Now press "Custom Level."

Im using Mozilla Firefox as my default browser and from what i read before when installed Firefox. Mozilla Firefox does not use Activex in their system unlike IE. Is there there any tips and tricks that you could share with me regarding Mozilla Firefox?

LonnyRJones
2005-12-02, 05:50
Hi

Im not familur enough with mozila to advise, one thing is not to install an activex plugin and keep it up to date, :)

bitman
2005-12-02, 06:54
Lonny and d1nfante,

I hope you don't mind my piping in and please comment if you feel I'm incorrect or going too far off base with this.

One of the greatest fallacies I've heard is that a different browser will add protection. In truth, it's exactly the opposite, since you now have two browser's vulnerabilities and maintenance to deal with.

Though Firefox is recognized as an excellent browser and has a good record for quickly patching any vulnerabilities that are discovered, you must still keep it up to date as Lonny already mentioned. In fact, Firefox 1.5 has just released and includes a much improved update facility from what I've heard. Considering I don't use this browser, it's more important that you've heard it, which if you haven't should be something you begin to keep track of. If you don't want this added burden, don't use a second browser.

It's also important to realize that the Internet Explorer browser is still installed and operational, so it can still be exploited if it's not fully patched. Since Firefox doesn't directly use most parts of IE itself like some other browsers (AOL, MSN and others), these can only be exploited if they can be accessed when you aren't using the IE browser (yes, this can happen) or if you are using IE because Firefox doesn't display a site properly, such as with ActiveX. This is why it's still of utmost importance to keep IE patched and configured correctly as well as the Windows OS itself.

Remember that Firefox isn't really doing anything special, it just doesn't contain ActiveX and some other 'features' that IE has that inherently add to it's risk profile, since these are all additional 'doorways' into the PC that might be found to be exploitable. The larger the number of such 'features' the higher the probability exploits will be found.

For help with Firefox itself, I'd start with the official Mozilla Firefox site(s):
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

I'm no Firefox expert myself, but these are often mentioned and will undoubtedly have additional resources included within their pages.

Again, this comes from my general observations, not direct experience, so I'd be happy to hear comments if either of you have any. I have, however, seen what happens to the AOL Browser when the IE beneath it is infected and it's not pretty.

LonnyRJones
2005-12-02, 08:17
Thanks Bitman

Feel free to comment at any time

d1nfante
2005-12-04, 08:55
Thanks for d info Bitman. I will take note of what you mentioned. =)

tashi
2005-12-07, 15:51
As the problem appears to be resolved this topic will be archived.
If you need the topic reopened please pm me. Cheers. :)