PDA

View Full Version : Cannot download exe or zip files

IPBR21054
2006-10-19, 23:54
Hi i am using spybot version 1.4.
Just some info please if i could.
Is there any setting etc in spybot that may not let me download exe or zip files.
I am using xp pro and keep getting this message,
current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

I have had a look through but cant see anything so i thought i would ask.

cheers

Zenobia
2006-10-20, 02:20
No,I think it's something set in your browser.
You might be getting that warning if file download is set to disable in Internet Explorer,or perhaps if your security level is set to High.
Try this,it's for Internet Explorer version 6:
In Internet Explorer,go to Tools,Internet Options...,click the Security Tab,highlight Internet with your mouse,then click Custom Level,scroll down to File Download,if it's set to Disable,set it to Enable,click OK,then 'Yes' to the prompt asking if you're sure you want to change your security settings for this zone,then Apply,and OK.
Or,if your slider is set to High,you could just move it down to Medium,if you don't want the Internet Zone set to High.

noel-pr7
2006-10-20, 16:54
Hi i am using spybot version 1.4.
Just some info please if i could.
Is there any setting etc in spybot that may not let me download exe or zip files.
I am using xp pro and keep getting this message,
current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

I have had a look through but cant see anything so i thought i would ask.

cheers

IPBR21054, what web browser were you using when you had this problem? Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera; what was it?

IPBR21054
2006-10-20, 18:26
Ok i have had a look and the option is enabled already and the slider is set to medium.I changed it to low but still get the message.

I am using internet explorer forgot to put that at the start.

Zenobia
2006-10-21, 00:34
Is it all .zip files and .exe files,or do you just get that warning when you're downloading from certain sites?
If you were trying to download a file from a site that is in your Restricted Sites,the Security Setting for that should be set to High,and you would get the
'current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.' warning,because File Download should be set to disable for that zone.
For the Internet security setting,Medium setting should be good,you probably wouldn't want to leave it on low permanently.

IPBR21054
2006-10-21, 14:07
Possibly just this ite,i have managed to download the files etc then put them onto a memory stick which i then transfered to my pc and now ok.
Thanks for the advice.