PDA

View Full Version : Immunize hangs

mickeyg
2006-10-20, 00:46
I have 2 PCs, use Firefox 1.5.0.7 on both. Also use McAfee latest full security version on both, which has virus protection, firewall, privacy and other security programs.
Computer 1 is wired to a router. Computer 2 connects wirelessly to the home network. The connection is very strong. Computer 1 is 226 MHz and Computer 2 a little faster. I have DSL, 300 Mbps.
Latest version of Spybot S&D on both computers. No problems at all on Computer 1.
But on Computer 2, when I update and click on Immunize, and then go to the next screen which tells me more immunizations are available, please immunize, and I click Immunize at the top of the screen, nothing happens. Spybot just hangs indefinitely. It is extremely difficult to shut down the computer, taking dozens (literally) of attempts using Task Manager. CPU usage is 100%.
Both Spybot and Teatimer are active, since I use Firefox.
Can some one tell me what is happening and what I should do about it? If I must uninstall Spybot, please so advise, giving me instructions about all registry changes I need to make. But I really want Spybot to work.

spybotsandra
2006-10-20, 11:23
Hello,

We are sorry, but the immunisation is not working for Firefox.

It is only for the Internet Explorer.

Maybe in one of the coming versions there will be a bad download blocker for Firefox, but not at the moment.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

mickeyg
2006-10-20, 16:50
Thank you for your reply, Sandra.

But it is very strange that the problem with Immunize only occurs in Computer 2. There has never been a problem with Computer 1.

crandad
2006-11-04, 18:14
I have the same problem on a windows xp home edition machine running IE. I only noticed this after upgrading McAfee's security center.

After clicking Immunize I get a window stating 13344 bad products already blocked, 94 additional protections possible.

When I click Immunize, Spybot locks up and the CPU usage goes to 100%.

Task Manager shows Spybot as 'not responding'

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-04, 18:40
crandad:

When I click Immunize, Spybot locks up and the CPU usage goes to 100%.
Go into the Windows Task Manager > Processes tab > locate and highlight mcsysmon.exe and do an "End Task".

I think that you will find that mcsysmon.exe is running at an extremely high rate of CPU utilization.

crandad
2006-11-04, 19:45
Thanks MD...checked Task Manager while spybot was locked up...sysmon was showing 30-35 cpu usage but I noticed that a process called HWAPI.exe was showing 60.

The warning window that pops up when you go to end a running process makes me a bit leery.

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-04, 21:13
crandad:

I have to do an "End Process" on mcsysmon.exe just to get on to AOL but it starts back up so it interferes with other things until I do a "End Process" on it a second time.

The process mcsysmon.exe takes up about 11% of my 2.4 GHz system while I'm hardly doing anything let alone if I try establish an AOL session or immunize.

Do a Google search for mcsysmon.exe and you will find many reports of problems.

McAfee says in the following:
My Task Manager displays 100% CPU usage
http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=407702&support=ts

Spybot Search & Destroy has an Immunize feature which is causing McAfee SystemGuards to be consistently bombarded with changes, based on the system settings that are enabled.
Don't bother to consider fixing your defective code. Just blame it on someone else because they are bombarding the system with changes. By the way, their stated solution does not cover manual immunization.

Your choice as to what to do.

crandad
2006-11-04, 22:02
chose "end process" for mcsysmon.exe and now 'all known bad products are blocked'

Thanks again MD USA...:bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-04, 22:05
crandad:

Alternative to doing an "End Process" on mcsysmon.exe:
Go into Spybot > Immunize.
Go into McAfee SecurityCenter.
In McAfee SecurityCenter:
Click Computer & Files Protected (left side of right pane).
Click Configure (right side of the right pane - not the Configure at the bottom of the screen).
Click SystemGuard protection is enabled.
Click Off
In Spybot > Immunize
Click the button (button with large green plus sign at the top of the right pane).
In McAfee SecurityCenter > SystemGuard protection is enabled:
Click On
Exit Spybot
Exit McAfee SecurityCenter
In McAfee SecurityCenter > Computer & Files Protected > SystemGuard protection, there is an "Advanced…" button. I haven't figured out which specific McAfee SecurityCenter SystemGuard protection is causing the problem. If you figure it out let us know.

m8rix
2006-11-06, 06:43
Thanks MD...checked Task Manager while spybot was locked up...sysmon was showing 30-35 cpu usage but I noticed that a process called HWAPI.exe was showing 60.

The warning window that pops up when you go to end a running process makes me a bit leery.

FYI:
HWAPI.exe is the McAfee Hackerwatch utility. It has nothing to do with SS&D.

B1naryz
2006-11-13, 21:48
another option that I have found to work for me is opening the task manager and right clicking on mcsysmon.exe and some other proccesses used by mcafee and setting the priority to low I haven't had much problems with my system hanging after that I haven't noticed much changes or side affect right now but It might just be a temperory fix..