PDA

View Full Version : Pc-Cillin 2007 ?

Lord Cobol
2006-10-20, 01:16
Anybody know if there are any issues ? I ask because after upgrading from Pc-Cillin 2006 to 2007 on a machine with Spybot, it started hanging every few minutes. I assume that pcc-2007 doesn't crash EVERYBODY's machines, so it must be something uncommon on mine that Trend-Micro didn't test for.

FWIW, I can confirm that PC-Cillin 2004 thru 2006 get along nicely with Spybot.

(Win-XP home, 512 meg, current on Microsoft updates, several non-default Windows settings, but didn't change anything but the Pc-Cillin upgrade when the crashes started, and wasn't having any issues before).

edit: Most settings on both Spybot & Pc-Cillin are on max, but not using Teatimer. Didn't crash when I turned off ALL PC-cillin's protections for an hour, so I'm guessing its a conflict with something, not total corruption of the OS.

tashi
2006-10-20, 21:37
not using Teatimer.
Hi there Lord Cobol.

Have you tried contacting Trend Micro about the issue; as you are not using teatimer that can be ruled out as a possible conflict with Pc-Cillin's resident.

We do have queries regarding Pc-Cillin on occasion and this topic has a contact address:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=575&highlight=Pc-Cillin

Lord Cobol
2006-10-20, 23:17
Trend Micro wants me to un-install Spybot (and also try some other things)...
I'll be doing lots of experimenting over the weekend.

PS - I never had problems like the ones referred to in the other thread.

Lord Cobol
2006-10-26, 02:57
Still not sure what caused the hangs in my 1st post. (And just in case it wasn't clear, the machine locked up completely several times, so only the power-switch would let me out. Also, before the upgrade, both Spybot & PC-cillin 2006 thought the machine was clean).

HOWEVER, on a 2nd machine, which does not freeze, there are definitely issues between Spybot & PC-cillin 2007.

For example, Pcc-2007's spyware "quick" scan complained about 107 entries in the hosts file. All were "127.0.0.1" entries like Spybot adds if you go to Tools - Hosts File - Add Spybot S&D hosts list. Not sure why it only finds so few out of the hundreds of entries Spybot adds. I didn't have PC-cillin clean up what it found, but I wonder what would happen if it tried with Spybot's "lock hosts file" option in effect.

Also, Pcc-2007's new "Suspicious Software Alarm System", "List of Suspicious Changes" found over 2,000 suspicious entries in the host file, all "127.0.0.1" entries like above. It also complained about SD-Helper and a bunch of other things which I think / hope are false alarms (Spybot & Pcc-2006 never complained about anything on this machine either).

Also, Pcc-2007s "full" spyware scan just sat there incrementing its elapsed time but not scanning anything. Turning off Spybot's "lock hosts file" and SD-Helper did not help. On a 2nd try it spent over an hour with the progress bar at zero and no sign of doing anything before I told it to stop.

Trend Micro support suggested un-installing and re-installing Spybot. They also warned that Spybot & PC-cillin are not very compatible. I'm not sure what issues (if any) they new about, but they seemed not to know about the issues above. They seemed surprised that their install routine had not specifically told me to un-install Spybot like it is supposed to with some competing products.

I un-installed Spybot, and the Pcc-2007 "full" scan worked ok, finding only the same old 107 entries in the hosts file. I haven't re-installed yet.

The whole thing is depressing, and reminds me of the bitter thread about Spybot and Symantec. I get the impression that as internet security suites try to strengthen their protection they are more likely to conflict with other anti-spyware apps, and the old advice to have at least 2 anti-spyware apps because no single one could protect well enough, might get hard to follow. I am not sure whether to keep trying to make them work together, drop one or the other, or revert to PC-cillin 2006.

Has anybody else tried them yet?

Danny
2006-10-26, 09:12
Hi
One of my friend said about the last update of his Trend Micro Internet security suite have incompatibility with Windows Defender beta 2 ......this friend had also Spybot...i going to ask him if he have that kind of problem with Spybot...i will be back soon....
I really don't like that kind of softwares with incompatibilies when news versions appears....for me it's like a kind of monopolization
Bye

noel-pr7
2006-10-28, 00:49
Danny and Lord Cobol,

my advice to you guys is to stick with Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet security suite version 2004, 2005 or 2006. ditch the 2007 version and install an older version

the sad part is that their antivirus pattern file is now over 20Mb in size :sad:
I had to download a really large virus pattern file for the Trend Micro Internet Security 2004 application installed on my XP SP2 PC to detect the newest viruses and security threats. other antivirus utils (like McAfee VirusScan) have antivirus detection files that are much smaller

Lord Cobol
2006-11-07, 02:45
PC-cillin also seems to have issues on machines that do not have Spybot, although not the same symptoms as I described above, so it seems likely that the problems on my 1st machine had nothing to do with Spybot.

Trend-Micro support is aware that they have a problem, and a fix should be out in late Nov (more or less). So my plan, and my advice for any other PC-cillin fans out there, is to stall for a while. Downgrading from 2007 to 2006 seems to work.