PDA

View Full Version : How to edit TeaTimer Black/White Lists?

Death Eternal
2006-10-20, 02:58
Hi!
How can I change my mind after telling TeaTimer to Remember my Decision as to whether a registry change was allowed or disallowed?
Is there some way to edit the Black & White List Entries?
Much Appreciated! Thanks!

Zenobia
2006-10-20, 03:05
Yes.With Spybot 1.4,you can right-click Teatimer,then select Settings,to open the Black & White list.There's four headings at the top you can click on,Allowed processes,Blocked processes,Allowed registry changes,Blocked registry changes,and if there's anything you wish to remove,just click the X to remove it,then click OK.

Death Eternal
2006-10-20, 04:13
Doesn't work...

Any idea why?

TO BE MORE CLEAR:

It doesn't seem to save the changes....
(after i shut down and restart...)

Anything else that I can do?

Thanks !

Zenobia
2006-10-20, 05:30
You are still getting boxes going up the right side of your screen,even after removing them from the Black & White list?
Try opening Spybot,click mode->advanced mode->Tools->Resident,uncheck resident Teatimer.Reboot,then go back in and reenable Teatimer,and see if that helps.If not,please post back.

Death Eternal
2006-10-21, 01:54
THANKS!

I think I was closing the window by clicking on the windows "X" button, instead of on the "Okay" button...

Perhaps treating the "X" button as "OK" instead of as "Cancel" would have benefited me in this case...

However, I don't know how i got into this bad habit, in the first place.

In any case, it seems to be working now (as long as I click on "okay"), so thanks again!

Best regards,
:D:

Zenobia
2006-10-21, 03:02
Okay,glad you got it. :)

argyle dave
2006-10-27, 03:48
I am having this same problem, I would like to reverse a decision made on teatimer. I have not been able to find anything having to do with teatimer that will let me right click on it. Could you be more speciefic as to what and where to click? I'm probably overlooking something obvious but so far I'm baffled.
Thank You
dave

Zenobia
2006-10-27, 04:45
Do you have the Teatimer icon down by the clock?It's an icon with a padlock on it,and when you rightclick it you should see Settings in there,which you'd select to edit your Black & White list.
Or,if you see the Teatimer icon down there,but it won't let you rightclick on it:
Are you getting boxes from Teatimer going up the rightside of your screen,saying
something like 'Registry change denied'?I found once,with the Teatimer notification boxes going up the side of the screen,Teatimer would not let me rightclick it,and I had to disable it/reenable Teatimer to be able to rightclick it.If Teatimer won't let you rightclick it because of the boxes,please post back,I'll post how to disable it/restart it from the Resident section in Spybot. :)

Death Eternal
2006-10-29, 02:31
Zenobia / Dave,
I don't see an icon with a padlock?
I see an icon with a "bust" (head and shoulders of a person) behind which is an tiny image of an ms-dos window? (or perhaps an early windows window) white square with blue bar at top anyway (this is what it reminds me of - maybe i've been doing this too long!) LOL
Is that image of what i've been taking for a person supposed to be a padlock?
Goodness,
Better rethink many of your design elements, or else tell me, I need to relearn everything that I already know from experience.
Dave -
Right-click (the mouse button not normally used) on the icon down on the task-bar, to the right side; (near where the clock is);
Select settings';
(make sure all your other windows are closed, sometimes it likes to start up minimized, it can and will hide from you!)
Then: select blocked processes or allowed processes or allowed registry changes or blocked registry changes...
THen slide the slider to the right, until you see the "x" 's .....
the "X" 's are sensitive to your mouse....
BE CAREFUL
if you left-click (normal mouse click) on an "X", it will remove the entry from the list.... permanently... without asking you for confirmation....
(if you right-click, it will ask you which of the other 3 views you want to see, and will tell you which view you are currently looking at.)
How'm I doing, Zenobia?
Rick (Death)
Programmer/Systems Analyst/Network Security Consultant/Social Engineer for 30+ years now... (unless I actually started before I was 20?)
IF I SAID "WANG" WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT?

Zenobia
2006-10-29, 02:10
Yes,this icon.

bitman
2006-10-29, 18:35
IF I SAID "WANG" WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT?
Yes, I've still got the console desk with 8" drives, though the box containing CPU, etc. is long gone. The IMSAI 8080 [CPM 2.2] sits on it along with the monitor/keyboard for the PII 400 W2K box beside it, all of which still operate.

The Compaq business laptop with Vista RC2/Office 2007 that I'm writing this on shows that history doesn't mean stuck in the past.

Bitman

Death Eternal
2006-10-30, 11:28
Cool...
I had to dispose of all the x-ibits in my museum, awhile back...

My first paid gig was programming an IBM 5110, 4 8" diskette drives (two huge floor standing cabinets each with dual drives.) 32KB of RAM! (Expanded!) (the 5110 was (nearly) the last single user machine IBM built prior to release of the PC (the pc's official designation: 5150.) (There may have been a 5120 in the history somewhere.)

Followed shortly thereafter (for me) by a Wang VS80 with 128KB (multi-user system!), dialup access (2400bps!), band printer! (300lpm!), and a phoenix drive (approx. washing-machine+dryer sized, and about as much heat, noise, and vibration) with a 75MB fixed / sealed drive, and a 15MB removable platter that looked like a giant sized model of a flying saucer, at least 24" diameter.

Of course, in high school, I learned on a teletype machine with a handset acoustic coupler modem (300bps) with a rotary dial, paper punch tape storage, connected via time share to some university mainframe, somewhere.
Nyah nyah nyah.

Was your console desk for an old OIS system?
Or even before that, the early word processor?

bitman
2006-10-30, 18:07
The desk actually contained the entire system, 3 - 8" floppies and a box setting on a shelf in the back containing the "CPU", which had ROM Basic and 48KB RAM as I recall, it might have been a 'Wang 2000' if I recall correctly, though I also threw out the docs.

I'm afraid your memory has upgraded that acoustic coupled modem and teletype, since they never operated above 110 baud in a stable manner, though it was attempted. The first popular 300 baud modem was the Hayes MicroModem, which I owned and also still have somewhere, along with a Prometheus 1200 baud for later 'high speed' purposes.

Only things I never used myself were punched cards and paper tape, though I had exposure to both and my first version of Basic (9K in size) came on both paper tape and the much more advanced Cassette Tape, which is what I actually used until I got my first 8" floppies. :eek:

Bitman

Death Eternal
2006-10-31, 02:19
ok, wow, thanks, you're right, it WAS 110bps... (or "baudy" as we used to say - LOL.) I guess my fuzzy memory was afraid to "go that low."

yes i used punch cards in college also, and the infamous punch card sorter (the reason for columns past 72, to 80 - the origins of "line numbers" in software, for those who might remember them.)

DAMN the hardest thing was making your own "TAB" card to wrap around that freaking TAB DRUM on the punch-card machine - seems like they were always getting destroyed or taken by the previous user.

I also learned to write and debug (hands on) assembler and machine code on a TI 980 A (Texas Instruments, folks) a 16-bit machine that had 16 toggle switches (on / off) and leds (1 / 0) one for each bit so you could set an address and retrieve it's value or even stuff a double-byte there...

it printed out in hex - you had to locate your program in core and your data and print that range out then id your before and after pictures for the professor in order to pass the course.

it was there that i learned how to write assemblers and compilers and also how to design a high-level language, an assembler language, and a machine language (using a theoretical machine, which we also designed, and a theoretical pseudo-op assembly language, ditto, etc, ...)

fascinating stuff, those "A" Accumulator registers (for math ops), "B" address registers, and so on...

and yes, in high school, my second machine was an HP single-user with dot-matrix bi-directional? printer that used cassette tape as storage medium.
I remember writing a program to grade the exams that year.
And I modified the tic-tac-toe game from a lamer, to one the computer wouldn't let you win...
And of course the ubiquitous "russian roulette"... "...You have five shots left. Care to try again?"...

Thanks for reviving the memories!

(Die, die, accursed ugly pc!)

Death Eternal
2006-10-31, 02:32
speaking of games:
we used to play the COOLEST version of text-mode star trek on that old teletype machine, searching the universe for the enemy klingons, firing phasers and photon torpedos (requiring course settings) moving within and between quadrants, using short and long range sensor scans to locate enemies and star bases and develop star maps...
great googlie-mooglie!

and my IBM 5110 I believe had 1024KB capacity on those old 8" floppy diskettes, double-sided, high-density (512KB per side.) (4 drives total.)

it took one entire disk for our primary inventory, one disk for our secondary (raw material inventory), one disk for our customer master and customer orders files, one disk for our accounts receivable, one disk for our bills of materials... (including the relevant / appropriate software for each - interpreted basic program source - ROM BASIC, you bet your life!)

it was a fascinating experience, i remember modifying the software (each of the 4 drives was separately addressable: D80, D40, D20, and D10 - typical IBM, highly structured, no rhyme or reason) so that I only had to swap out the CLOSEST drive's disk to run various programs and processes...

good lord - manufacturing, customer order processing / billing, cash receipts processing, later on purchase order / vendor order processing and inventory receipts - and sales history and analysis (still more disks to swap in and out)

Replenishment analysis (all custom designed in house) How in the heck did we do all this stuff?
32KB of RAM? Impossible! 1MB capacity storage (x4) ??? No FREAKING WAY!!!

I guess it never really happened at all...
Still, it all seemed so real, then...

Oh, right - I remember, now - it was all TEXT MODE - you had to know how to READ - no PRETTY PICTURES (and we didn't have to waste all that time fixing all the problems from all the pretty pictures, either... ROTF, LMAO.)
:D:

bitman
2006-10-31, 16:41
Our computer club had a donated rack with two of those TI 980 A units along with one or two 14" Winchester drives with removable packs.

The Star Trek text mode game was originated on DEC PDP systems, we had it on our 11/70, so that's probably what your terminal accessed. I think I've still got a copy of the BASIC program stored on a CPM format disk I downloaded at a screaming 300 Baud. Lots of study (and CPU) hours wasted on that one.

Most of my Assembly and hand assembled machine code was centered on 8 bit machines outside of class though, usually 8080/Z80 and higher level languages. Everything from BASIC to C with occasional oddballs like Forth for fun.

On the early microcomputer based business side we had the PeachTree Accounting products on disks as small as 360KB (5" floppy diskettes, double-sided, high-density), though some systems had up to 1.2MB on 8" with dual drives. Funny thing is I just heard someone was still using the PeachTree package on a PC, so nothing really changes, just gets more graphical and takes more memory ($$$).

Think we've freaked out and bored everyone here enough? Funny how computers have gotten magnitudes faster, more capacity and graphical and basically the same amount of work gets done. Maybe it's because of all the email we have to read and maintenance and protection required to protect ourselves from this great communications boon called the Internet. :laugh:

You know, I never had to defrag a disk or worry about a virus (unless I wrote it myself) or clean Temp files since the programs actually removed them when done, what a concept! My how we've progressed! :blink:

argyle dave
2006-11-02, 08:39
Zenobia/Death Eternal,
Thank you very much for your response. I found the Icon and everything is wonderful now. I was pretty sure that i was overlooking something simple. For most of my 56 years I tried to ignore computers but now I'm hooked. Unfortunately I'm a little, or perhaps a lot behind in the knowledge dept.

Dave

Zenobia
2006-11-02, 08:52
Glad you found it. :)