PDA

View Full Version : Spybot scan found "LocatorBar"

codysmom
2006-10-22, 12:43
Hi All....I just ran a Spybot scan....As expected, found some cookies which I proceeded to "fix"....

But, also have a registry change referring to "LocatorBar"....

The full entry reads:

LocatorBar: IE toolbar (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2170045420-609597483-1560538948-1006\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\{E720B458-B65A-AAAA-AAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAA}

The description says:

Company:
Product: LocatorBar
Threat: Hijacker

Description
LocatorBar installs a toolbar into the Internet Explorer and hijackes your Internet Explorer to a dubious searchpage. There is no way to uninstall the toolbar on a usual way

Any / All information / suggestions will be appreciated.....Thanx

spybotsandra
2006-10-23, 12:09
Hello,

Please download the latest detection update (2006/10/20):
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Or choose the direct installation file:
http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

If this does not solve the problem please send us your *complete* Spybot bug report: Run Spybot-S&D, let it scan, try to fix the problems (!) and then go to "Tools --> View Report". Tick on all of the 10 checkboxes (leave "Do not report disabled or known legitimate items" unchecked) you can find there and click on "View Report". Now choose "Export" and save the file to your desktop. Please attach this file to your email and send it again to detections(at)spybot.info.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

codysmom
2006-10-23, 12:41
Hi Sandra.....Prior to running yesterday's scan, I installed the latest Spybot updates (including the 4 dated 10/20)...

....#1-----So----when you say----"if this does not solve the problem...etc".....I assume you mean that if I run another scan and proceed to have Spybot "fix" it, then I'll be free of the LocatorBar.....Right....??

....#2-----Before doing that though, I do want to be sure it's not a legitimate part of the AOL package....In other words, I don't want to screw up my ISP connection......The reason I ask this is that about a year ago, there were a few registry items detected by Spybot that turned out to be part of AOL....etc.....

Thanx......Carol