PDA

View Full Version : scanning CDs

Trojanator
2006-10-22, 19:36
Hi,

I love SpyBot. I would like to expand its use beyond just scanning my system, i.e. I would like to scan removable media (floppies, CDs, memory sticks) before opening or downloading the files. I could not figure out a way to do this on the 1.4 version.

Do you have any tips?

thanks.

spybotsandra
2006-10-23, 12:07
Hello,

Please have a look at the "Directories" in the "Settings" when you run Spybot - Search & Destroy in "Advanced Mode". There you can add additional harddisks or folders.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Trojanator
2006-10-24, 05:56
Brilliant! (as they say in the UK)

Thanks. It is embarrasingly simple when explained but I would have never figured it out myself.

Here's another dumb question: When it scans the C drive does that include the D partition?

md usa spybot fan
2006-10-28, 07:54
When it scans the C drive does that include the D partition?
Maybe.

From the following:
Why is Spybot-S&D so fast?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/1.html

There are different ways to search for spies. One would be to search the complete registry and hard disk for suspicious entries and files. That can take a lot of time.

Spybot-S&D takes advantage of the fact that all spies have to anchor themselves at a few places over the system to get active. It starts to search at this places, following the information gathered there to catch the whole spy.
If something points to the "D partition" then it would be scanned.

Trojanator
2006-10-29, 04:53
Thanks for your patience and help.

I have spent countless hours in the library trying to get this kind of street-level info from books written on operating systems and other topics and it seems that no one knows more than forum hosts.