PDA

View Full Version : Definitions please.

fishingman
2005-12-07, 21:01
I would like to know what the words bad checksums means ...the reason why I asked this is because i downloaded new updatesmand then it said bad check sums.
Can anyone tell me what that means.
thank you
:bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-07, 21:06
"Bad Checksum" problems are usually caused by overloaded download servers. For a workaround please see:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=345&postcount=2

Rosenfeld
2005-12-07, 22:45
To answer your question literally: the update file contains a checksum which is calculated from the bits it contains. After download, Spybot computes the checksum of the downloaded file and compares that with what it should be if the downloaded file is correct. If the download got corrupted in some way, the checksums don't match, hence bad checksum message.

Oppressed
2005-12-08, 21:33
From Spybot's Help using seach "bad checksum":

During update, I get an error message the update is forbidden/bad checksum!!! FAQ #020

Some users have reported they are not able to download updates. The 'Search for updates' reveals updates, but they cannot be downloaded. Often a 'HTTP Error 403' or 'bad checksum' is displayed. This has a simple reason - thousands of people trying to download from the default server, which can't handle such a load. If you try again, have a second look at the menu bar. It has a pull-down item to select a mirror. Click the arrow beside it, and select a different location, where you'll most probably have better chances to download. (Spybot-S&D 1.4 will set a random mirror as the default to better distribute the load)

Current problems with the main installer download have the same reason - the servers not being able to handle such large amounts of downloads. Even the University isn't able to deal with many thousands of downloads at the same time. Please have some patience; more mirrors are being added again.