PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Registry Changes

Breezy
2006-10-29, 22:18
Hi - I'm a newbie technophobe who's just installed S-S&D. All's gone swimmingly and I have fixed all the reported threats except the following three:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Centre\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Centre\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscvc\Start!=W=2

As these concern the registry I'm really worried that I may cause more problems than I'm fixing here. Would really be grateful for some sound advice from the learned audience out there. Do I "fix" these problems or leave them alone? Cheers :)

Zenobia
2006-10-29, 23:55
Please see here:
http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/46.html
Also,if you highlight the detection with your mouse,Spybot will give you a description after you click the gray bar over to the right.

Do you have anything like Norton Internet Security suite,etc. installed?

Breezy
2006-10-30, 10:14
Yes - I've got NAV 2006 and Norton Personal Firewall 2006 installed. I have not consciously changed anything other than to turn off the Win XP firewall as I believe this can conflict with Norton. Could this by the issue here? As I say, I'm not very technically competent when it comes to the inner workings of the PC - I just want it kept free of nasties! Really appreciate your help and guidance. What could be the implications if I choose to "fix the problem?" Thanks

Zenobia
2006-10-30, 11:06
No,it's good for you to have the Windows XP firewall turned off,where you have the Norton Firewall.

You might be getting those detections if you chose to let Norton's Protection Center handle the type of things that Windows Security Center did,perhaps when you were installing Norton.I believe Norton asks you when you're installing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Centre\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
From the bottom part of Spybot's descriptions:

"Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify" , if this is found, the Security Center does not notify about the antivirussoftware.
This could have been disabled by your antivirussoftware to avoid double notifications. If your antivirussoftware is up and running , you can ignore this detection.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Centre\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

"Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify" , if this is found, the Security Center does not notify about the firewall.
This could have been disabled by your personal firewall to avoid double messages. If your personal firewall is up and running, you can ignore this detection

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscvc\Start!=W=2
This one shows your Windows Security Center isn't set to automatic in services,(it may be set to manual or disabled.)
Spybot's description:

Description
Malware can disable the Windows Security Center to make your System more vulnerable.

If you have other security software suit installed, this may also deactivate the Windows Security Center to avoid double warning messages.

If you'd like to check(or also if you want to change the option) if you chose not to see the double warning messages from Windows Security Center,this post describes how:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=32092&postcount=36

Chose Options (located at the top) --> Norton Protection Center --> and then found the option to "Show messages from Windows Security Center". I made sure that box was checked, then I applied all the settings.

Or,if you check out that option in Norton and see that the option "Show messages from Windows Security Center" isn't check,and then decide you just want Norton Protection center notices,this page shows how to set Spybot to ignore the above three detections.
http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/46.html

If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot to exclude those detections from further scans.
In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot will still detect those.
The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves

Clear as mud?I'm hoping I didn't confuse you totally. :laugh: I find these things hard to describe sometimes.

Breezy
2006-10-30, 13:55
Wow! Thanks for the comprehensive response. Yes it does all make good sense (I think!). I'm at work right now but will check the settings on my machine when I get back.