PDA

View Full Version : EON is the only update server?

d-con
2006-11-03, 12:44
On one of my home systems, I went to update spybot s&d and noticed no updates. I checked, and there were no updates since early October.

The odd thing is that only update server listed was EON Australia.

So, I removed the program, downloaded from download.com and reinstalled, and no change there. The I removed it, deleted the entire install directory and reinstalled, searched the registry for anything with the name spybot. Nothing unusual found.

Finally found online.ini in the Updates dir, and it had only the EON server listed in the -Mirrors section, but that server is not serving up any updates. I manually edited it and moved the usual set of update servers out of -Mirrors.disabled and into -Mirrors to fix it.

Not sure how or why this happened, in a fresh install, but it was very odd.

By default, where does it download online.ini from? It seems to me that if it can't get a valid updated copy of online.ini from a known server that's working properly, a new user would unknowingly get the same behavior I've seen.

I've also seen no update servers in the list on this machine, then hit update and EON appears.

-David

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-03, 12:57
Check again. While updating the severs with the weekly updates they usually make that server the only server available and don't list any updates as being available.

d-con
2006-11-03, 13:08
I'm not having any problems now, having updated online.ini manually, but thanks for the suggestion. Just did another update on my notebook with no issues.

How long do the updates usually last?

-David

PepiMK
2006-11-03, 13:13
Usually we take the updates offline at 10:30 GMT and have them back around 11:30 GMT. Guess it would be helpful to replace the "EON" text with something that describes the situation better ;)

d-con
2006-11-03, 13:15
Usually we take the updates offline at 10:30 GMT and have them back around 11:30 GMT. Guess it would be helpful to replace the "EON" text with something that describes the situation better ;)

Thanks again for the explanation.

-David