PDA

View Full Version : Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888 and other Ghosts in the Machine

Kanavel
2006-11-07, 08:39
Hello. I recently have been experiencing some random problems with my computer. I ran a Spybot S&D scan in Windows mode and in Safe Mode. Both times it detected a malware called Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888. It will not clean this file.

In another forum I on this site I found a recommendation to run a file called SmitfraudFix.cmd. I downloaded this and ran in Safe Mode Command prompt. It did not work. The file is still there.

Since this started two days ago there have been other odd things occurring on the machine. First my desktop started to change. I lost my wallpaper completely. Then the icons in the System Tray failed to run. (Ex: If I left-click on the sound icon to get the pop-up sound adjuster it will not open it. Other icons in the system tray will not run at all no matter how many times I click on them.

Since I noticed this 3 days ago, I decided maybe I could run a System Restore to a checkpoint prior to the problems. I receive an error message when I first run System Restore stating files on an external USB drive will not be changed after this date. The drive is not even attached to the computer. I click on 'Ok' and then go ahead with the System Restore. When the computer reboots I receive a message stating the System Restore would not work. I don't have the exact verbage of the error message but can duplicate readily if it is needed.

As per your guidelines I ran the online virus scanner panda and it found several items. I will post these results.

Please advise as to what your recommendations may be. I appreciate your help. I have had this computer for almost 2 years and up until it has remained relatively free of malware and viruses. Also, let me know if you need additional information.

Kanavel
2006-11-07, 08:43
PANDA ONLINE SCAN RESULTS

Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/searchrelevancy Not disinfected c:\program files\SearchRelevant
Adware:adware/statblaster Not disinfected Windows Registry
Possible Virus. Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\swsc.exe
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Desktop\SmitfraudFix.zip[SmitfraudFix/Process.exe]
Possible Virus. Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Desktop\SmitfraudFix.zip[SmitfraudFix/swsc.exe]
Adware:Adware/NewWeb Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Downloads\anime\eTools Single v3.5e (use with version 1.666 only) Eberron Explorers Handbook (mar06).exe[²ÜÇ\nsExec.dll]
Adware:Adware/NewWeb Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Downloads\anime\eTools Single v3.5e (use with version 1.666 only) Grasp of the Emerald Claw (mar06).exe[²ÜÇ\nsExec.dll]
Adware:Adware/NewWeb Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Downloads\anime\eTools Single v3.5e (use with version 1.666 only) Heroes of Battle (mar06).exe[²ÜÇ\nsExec.dll]
Adware:Adware/NewWeb Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Downloads\anime\eTools Single v3.5e (use with version 1.666 only) Sandstorm (mar06).exe[²ÜÇ\nsExec.dll]
Adware:Adware/NewWeb Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Downloads\anime\eTools Single v3.5e (use with version 1.666 only) Stormwrack (mar06).exe[²ÜÇ\nsExec.dll]
Adware:Adware/NewWeb Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Downloads\anime\eTools Single v3.5e (use with version 1.666 only) Weapons of Legacy (mar06).exe[²ÜÇ\nsExec.dll]
Spyware:Cookie/WebtrendsLive Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iypu34qt.default\cookies.txt[statse.webtrendslive.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iypu34qt.default\cookies.txt[.serving-sys.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/2o7 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iypu34qt.default\cookies.txt[.2o7.net/]
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\iypu34qt.default\cookies.txt[.serving-sys.com/]
Adware:Adware/SAHAgent Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\xmltok_.dll

HIJACKTHIS RESULTS

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:27:21 AM, on 11/7/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPS\mpsevh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Reader\readernotify.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\DataViz\DvzIncMsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\1XConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\My Documents\Personal\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee Popup Blocker - {C68AE9C0-0909-4DDC-B661-C1AFB9F5AE53} - c:\program files\mcafee\mps\mcpopup.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Menu] D:\Autorun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Mobipocket Reader Notifications] C:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Reader\readernotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: DataViz Inc Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\DataViz\DvzIncMsgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HOTSYNCSHORTCUTNAME.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.pclaptops.com
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,101/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Sebring - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LgNotify.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit Fuse Service - Intuit - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Fuse\Service\Intuit Fuse Service.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Log Manager (McLogManagerService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee User Manager (mcusrmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Privacy Service (MPS9) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MPS\mps.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe

Kanavel
2006-11-07, 09:00
The message I receive when I try to initiate a System Restore is:
Changes made to drive(s) E:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed.Drive E:\ is an external USB removal drive that is not even attached to the computer when I attempt to initiate System Restore.

Also, in case you need it here is the log report from the SmitfraudFix.cmd Search option #1.

SmitfraudFix.cmd Search Results

SmitFraudFix v2.119

Scan done at 0:56:02.13, Tue 11/07/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
Fix run in normal mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\Web

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Brent

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Brent\Application Data

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Start Menu

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\DOCUME~1\Brent\FAVORI~1

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Program Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Corrupted keys

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop Components

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Sharedtaskscheduler
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» AppInit_DLLs
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» pe386-msguard-lzx32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Scanning wininet.dll infection

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

Kanavel
2006-11-07, 18:55
Bump for the day crew. Does anyone have a suggestion of what might be affecting my computer. This is a laptop I am using for school and I am afraid it may be rendered ineffective or worse compromise data. :eek:

I appreciate any help on this matter and I apologize for the bump. I'm just new at this.

Kanavel
2006-11-10, 21:47
Ok. Never mind. ;)

I now realize the Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888 is a False Positive in SpyBot.

As for my other issues with the icons not working on the taskbar and my wallpaper disappearing...I found some help at another site.

Thanks again for SpyBot. What a great tool.