PDA

View Full Version : two quick questions

holysaiyan1
2006-11-09, 08:05
Hi,

I have two questions that I couldn't find the answers to in the forums, so I am asking them now.

1) I just installed SS&D, and I can't view the information given by the System Startup Tool. The panel will slide out, but it is all black with no words whatsoever. Any ideas?

2) Are there any sites that provide a complete all-in-one package of the Spybot skins available on the official download site? I want to be able to try different skins as I go on, but I don't have the time or willingness to download and install them one by one.

Thanks!

Zenobia
2006-11-09, 10:19
For 1.-I used to get that when I had Alienguise,and some of the blacker themes(like darkstar.)The words are there if you highlight with your mouse,but you still can't see 'em,unless you copy/paste them into something like notepad.Do you have any kind of theme manager installed?

As for two,not that I know of.

holysaiyan1
2006-11-09, 18:17
Well, I do have WindowBlinds 5, but I added SpybotSD.exe to the list of applications to not skin, and I even tried unloading WB completely to see if that solved the problem, but it did not.

This problem occurs with all skins it appears, even the default and colorblind skin.

Zenobia
2006-11-10, 03:14
Normally it's usually a yellow colour in there,if there's info about a startup entry.Like this:
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8263/spybotks1.png
Is the info in there?Try clicking on the startup entry you want to see with your mouse,then move the panel out,then try highlighting that area with your mouse,don't rightclick,but copy using your keyboard instead (Ctrl + C),then open notepad or wordpad,and paste it in there,see if you get anything.

holysaiyan1
2006-11-10, 09:02
Mission accomplished! :bigthumb:

Setting WindowBlinds to not skin an application is not enough. I toggled "Menu backgrounds" to off, under Basic Settings/Skin Advanced Controls.

Thanks for helping me. And I really think my idea of a compilation pack of all the SS&D skins in one package is a grand one. I'm putting it over in Suggestions, even though I could have sworn that I've found it on one of the sites mirroring Spybot.

Zenobia
2006-11-10, 09:47
Good,glad you got it. :)

Yes,there might be a whole pack of skins on a site mirroring Spybot,but I'd never come across it yet,so I'm not sure.Good suggestion,though.

bitman
2006-11-10, 17:20
There used to be a pack of all skins maintained by the old US web site administration. When this site went away, so did management of these files.

Skins are such a rarely used item in general that maintaining them isn't really worth the Spybot Team's time. That's why the contribution system existed in the first place, since everyone's got their own idea what looks good and many just don't care as long as things are easily readable (that would be me).

md usa spybot fan
2006-11-10, 19:34
Bitman:

Skins are such a rarely used item in general that maintaining them isn't really worth the Spybot Team's time.
Actually it looks like a Member of Team Spybot put together a nice collection of 35 skins with author credits and pictures here:
Spybot S&D Skins (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/skins/index.html)
It appears that each of the 35 skins has to be individually downloaded and unzipped into:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Skins\
After someone when to all the time and trouble to create that collection of skins, apparently that effort is not universally appreciated because holysaiyan1 (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=14294) states:

… I don't have the time or willingness to download and install them one by one.