PDA

View Full Version : Computer shuts down after update

sanhodo
2005-12-08, 22:46
Hi. I also had trouble running Spybot yesterday. My computer froze and turned off completely. This happened after I had successfully updated version 1.4. Prior to using Spybot, I had successfully run AdAwareSE Plus. I closed that program down before opening and running Spybot. Spybot went through about half of its search and then everything shut down. I understand that Spybot is incompatible with AdAware, but would that also hold if AdAware is not running? Thanks for whatever you can give us with the problem.

bitman
2005-12-09, 02:49
Hi sanhodo: I asked Tashi to slit off your topic since it's unrelated.

By update, do you mean a Detections update or update from say, Spybot 1.3 to 1.4?

Have you tried scanning with Spybot since the PC restarted, sometimes such things are transient?

If it still crashes the answer depends more on how major the update was, so I'll stop there for now.

sanhodo
2005-12-09, 21:43
Thanks, Bitman.

I ran the program after I followed your directions and it went right through 8165 objects without any problem.

Split off from here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=3737#post3737 -tashi

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-09, 21:49
sanhodo posted here:

Tex10's Topic only :Spybot Freezes PC at: 23282/31725 Gain.Gator.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=797
Spilt off and merged here. -tashi

Thanks, Bitman.

I ran the program after I followed your directions and it went right through 8165 objects without any problem.
I assume in response to:

Tex10: Please try this:

In Spybot click Mode>Advanced to switch to Advanced mode and answer Yes to the question.
Click the Settings button on the lower left pane.
Click File Sets near the upper left.
In the right pane uncheck all but the last two; Spybots.sbi and Trojans.sbi

Now return to the Spybot S&D menu (button at upper left) and run a scan.

What happens?

sanhodo
2005-12-10, 18:13
I had a similar good response to Tex10's when I took the same action recommended by Bitman, however my scan was not a complete one, only 8165 objects were checked. This is something that just happened after several months of no problems. And spybot works fine on my desktop. Perhaps it has something to do with the new Firefox 1.5?

tashi
2005-12-10, 18:33
Split off and merged again.

bitman requested people had their own topic's as he is investigating the problem each individual is experiencing separately.
Thank you.

sanhodo
2005-12-10, 18:41
Sorry. I give myself a dope slap:angel:

bitman
2005-12-10, 18:44
Hi sanhodo: I asked Tashi to slit off your topic since it's unrelated.
I had posted this in the split off thread above, but you looked at and answered the other thread instead. I understand how that happened since the first link you got would have been to my response in that other thread, so you never saw this one, but let's stay here for your problem.

By update, did you mean a Detections update or update from say, Spybot 1.3 to 1.4?

Have you tried scanning with Spybot since the PC restarted, sometimes such things are transient?

If it's still crashing, please try scanning in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 button just before Windows starts to load, then select Safe Mode.

If it still crashes the answer depends more on how major the update was, so I'll stop there for now. Let us know the results and answers to the questions above.

sanhodo
2005-12-10, 19:05
Hello and thanks for your understanding. I was lost, but now I'm found, as the song goes.

The update I referred to was the detections update.

I have returned the spybot program to the normal, so that all the boxes are once again checked off. I have run the program and it worked like a charm. If it hiccups again I'll come back and do the F8 routine, etc. cThanks again for your prompt responses.

PS...what about the answer to my original questions about AdAware? Should there be a conflict if one program is open and the other closed? AdAware has been performing as advertised so far.

bitman
2005-12-10, 19:51
Glad to hear it's working now, I thought it might have been a temporary issue.

Some of the issues we're seeing with hangs/freezing appear to be conflicts with other anti-malware programs. However, this is generally due to active real-time monitoring portions of the program like Spybot's own Teatimer.

We've seen this alot before with anti-virus programs, since they've had real-time monitoring of new files written or even read for years. However, it's realtively new in the anti-spyware field, so we're just beginning to determine the symptoms and real issues it creates. It can be much more complex since not just files, but the Registry is also involved.

Up to now, most conflicts in anti-spyware consisted of static issues like one program detecting parts of another as spyware. This was usually due to back-ups of cleaned malware or the detections database being mis-detected by another program. However, it could also include parts of installed protections such as Restricted Sites or items in the Hosts file.

AdAware Personal doesn't include real-time protection, but the Pro version does, though I can't recall it's name. So you're correct that the basic programs shouldn't 'conflict' in a way that could crash the PC. In fact, I've seen almost no true PC resets due to this, just severe slowdowns often described as 'hanging' or 'freezing', though they vary in duration. That's why I separated your posts, since your problem was much more severe if it continued.

Hope that makes it more understandable.

sanhodo
2005-12-10, 20:12
Right, somewhat more understable. FYI the AdAware version I have is called AdAware SE Plus, and it does monitor the computer continuously offering "real time" protection.

By the way, is there an ability to prevent all this junk that spybot finds, prevent it from even getting onto my computer in the first place? That would be a real boon to mankind.

What is Tea-Timer? Is that what SpyBot calls its continuous monitoring program/module?

Thanks, Bitman

bitman
2005-12-10, 20:22
AdAware SE Plus with Ad-Watch right? I just remembered.

That's what all the reeal-time protection is intended to do, block at least some portion of the spyware before it can fully install.

The names and descriptions used by Spybot for it's active or passive protection are numerous and confusing, so md usa spybot fan made up this FAQ post that helps alot.

How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-10, 20:28
By the way, is there an ability to prevent all this junk that spybot finds, prevent it from even getting onto my computer in the first place? That would be a real boon to mankind.
See the following it may help:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

sanhodo
2005-12-11, 02:46
Thank you both for your informative replies. Cheers.